• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How the Mayfield trade came about

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

I hope Matt Corral forces the issue. If he's playing at a higher level than these failed projects you've got to let him play.

Mac Jones played. Zach Wilson got his shot. I think Corral can do as well as Jones if McAdoo is allowed to adoo.

Didn't Mac Jones play in Bill O'Brian's system with NFL terminology and route concepts? There is a huge difference between Jones College situation and Corral's.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Didn't Mac Jones play in Bill O'Brian's system with NFL terminology and route concepts? There is a huge difference between Jones College situation and Corral's.

Jones was extremely pro ready... Corral was a mid round pick taken for his upside that is the total opposite of Jones in that regard. He certainly could develop fast but for once the Panthers made a smart move and got a starting quality QB for very cheap so we don't need to rush a player out before he's ready.

If Corral balled out during the OTAs and minicamp, would we have pursued this at all?  I realize some of you think Corral was destined to be the day 1 starter, but those Huddlers not on crack thought otherwise. 

All kidding aside--I seriously like this move because it takes the focus off Corral and allows him to develop in a system that should be akin to his skill set.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

29 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If Corral balled out during the OTAs and minicamp, would we have pursued this at all?  I realize some of you think Corral was destined to be the day 1 starter, but those Huddlers not on crack thought otherwise. 

All kidding aside--I seriously like this move because it takes the focus off Corral and allows him to develop in a system that should be akin to his skill set.

I doubt very very seriously a new staff is going to hitch their wagon to a qb they didnt draft

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Baker Mayfield is well worth the risk for a 4th/5th round pick and less than $5M salary. That's a no-brainer IMO when your other options are Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and a 3rd round rookie who played in a college offense that doesn't really translate to the NFL. That's not at all saying that Corral will be a bust, it's just not all that conducive to starting as a rookie and being successful.

In a vacuum its a great trade.  In a vacuum.  Long term its pretty much poo

Listen to these national writers break it down.  Very interesting.  They encapsulate the frustration that a lot of us feel

https://www.theringer.com/2022/7/7/23198480/baker-mayfield-trade-reaction-plus-the-top-10-coaches-in-the-nfl

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Listen to these national writers break it down.  Very interesting.  They encapsulate the frustration that a lot of us feel

https://www.theringer.com/2022/7/7/23198480/baker-mayfield-trade-reaction-plus-the-top-10-coaches-in-the-nfl

This team has displayed zero long-term vision for years. A team with long-term vision fired Rhule after last season. Considering it's a staff desperately trying to save their jobs, this is the best move they could make. The best QB available and a move that comes with little cap or draft asset investiture.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This team has displayed zero long-term vision for years. A team with long-term vision fired Rhule after last season. Considering it's a staff desperately trying to save their jobs, this is the best move they could make. The best QB available and a move that comes with little cap or draft asset investiture.

Yep and thats why we are a laughing stock

Baker has at least won something of note and seen success like winning a playoff game unlike a couple of our highest paid offensive players who have plenty to say despite being amongst the worst in the league. But hate on the guy like he's the problem if it eases the pain.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

They thought Rhule drafted Will Grier and didn't even like the Corral pick.  Literally they said Corral is not good.  These guys are obviously NFL geniuses, and I'm glad I listened to this drivel so I can abandon my hope for Corral.  They actually said this is a good trade for the Browns, cause Brissett is so good.

I fully expect you to lose your Corral enthusiasm since these guys are so smart.  Wow.  Just pure genius.

Edited by poundaway

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

aaaand their schitzaphrenic because here is one of the guys complaining about the deal in the podcast writing an article that says:

"The Panthers made the best move of Matt Rhule’s tenure as head coach on Wednesday. "

"And while that could be understood—finding a franchise QB is difficult for even the most competent organizations—Carolina has also failed to build up the rest of the roster. "

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/7/6/23197283/baker-mayfield-trade-carolina-panthers-cleveland-browns

What a joke.

Your podcast is a couple of 20-something simps.