• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker's Brand of Football: Kurt Warner's Analysis. Part 1 and 2.

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

You have some type of weird Baker love fest going on in here, with some mighty claims, and yet still he couldn't take the Browns who had arguably the best O-line and the best backfield in football as well as two of the better wide receivers in football, as well as solid legitimate receiving tight ends to the championship.

So why hasn't Baker won a SB?
1)Starting point-The Browns were 1-31 leading to Baker playing his first game in game 3.  After 2 losses that season, the team is down by 14 when Tyrod gets hurt and Baker comes in to win the game. 

2)Coaching- Jackson, Williams and Kitchens were not going to win a SB.

2)Defense ranked 21st,20th,21st and 13th

3) Injury- Baker tore his labrum, broke the bone in the shoulder, and injured his plant foot in 2021.  Many analysts said he shouldn't be playing.

It took Cam 4 years to make it to the SB from the 2014's "worst division in football" in 2015.

The question should be, did Baker elevate the team?  Up until injury, the answer was yes.

Edited by poundaway
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, poundaway said:

So why hasn't Baker won a SB?
1)Starting point-The Browns were 1-31 leading to Baker playing his first game in game 3.  After 2 losses that season, the team is down by 14 when Tyrod gets hurt and Baker comes in to win the game. 

2)Coaching- Jackson, Williams and Kitchens were not going to win a SB.

2)Defense ranked 21st,20th,21st and 13th

3) Injury- Baker tore his labrum, broke the bone in the shoulder, and injured his plant foot in 2021.  Many analysts said he shouldn't be playing.

It took Cam 4 years to make it to the SB from the 2014's "worst division in football" in 2015.

The question should be, did Baker elevate the team?  Up until injury, the answer was yes.

Your answer was "yes."

If most GMs felt Baker was the next best thing since sliced bread, then he wouldn't have been jobless for all these months. I try to resist comparing Mayfield to Darnold because it gives people what I believe is a fake overall picture of our new QB--it sets the bar lower than it normally would be--but Mayfield is this year's version of Darnold in the sense that he wasn't worth anything of any significance to invest in, except for the Panthers. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a decent bet, but let's keep in mind that Baker was a QB that effectively no one was going to pay 5 mil to or trade a conditional 5th round pick (that could ultimately move to a 4th) for but us. That's NOT a QB that NFL GMs believe can raise their team's level of play, or at least not markedly enough to overcome the downsides of having him on their roster, including the opportunity-costs associated with him taking reps from others.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Your answer was "yes."

If most GMs felt Baker was the next best thing since sliced bread, then he wouldn't have been jobless for all these months.

I'm not saying Mayfield is perfect.  GM's worry about locker rooms and Baker's rep aint great.  But he was dealing with this guy:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cb47b8ff9dd6ae8d33

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117d6b7081264feb7b06
giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1
OBJ.gif&f=1&nofb=1

23 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I'm not saying Mayfield is perfect.  GM's worry about locker rooms and Baker's rep aint great.  But he was dealing with this guy:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cb47b8ff9dd6ae8d33

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117d6b7081264feb7b06
giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1
OBJ.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I understand, but people must understand that that was years ago. [That was great though, as Norman got into his head. It happens.]

Sure, many fans look at all the negatives surrounding OBJ and his attitude, but the fact is is that he had a lot of locker room love in Cleveland. Baker? Not so much. Moreover, there are legit analyses of how Mayfield did in fact miss reads to a wide open OBJ (purposefully or not). And, let's not forget that OBJ is a Super Bowl champion. His presence made a difference. Without him, notwithstanding he only played about a half, they lose. Likewise, If OBJ doesn't get hurt, the game isn't as close. In my opinion, Baker should've maximized his use of OBJ within the scope of his offense, but it didn't appear that he was doing that.

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Baker has had that rep since his college days.   It didn’t start with obj

True. I think his team bought in/tolerated it more in college because they kept winning. Acting like an ass on a losing team doesn’t work in the locker room. 

11 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Warner is a solid analyst with a respected opinion on football 

Yes he is, but his opinion on Mayfield isn't all candy, flowers and rainbows like some would have you believe. It speaks to Baker being good in certain situations, and not-so-good in others. He's not necessarily going to succeed while playing off-script. He's not necessarily going to excel if you put too much on his plate. He's limited.