• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield has a lot to prove, period!

top dawg

I wonder what the cost would have been to secure Baker after his 2020 season.  It's hard to tell what the injuries did to his throwing motion/accuracy etc. last year.  Just wondering how a deal would look at the beginning of free agency after his 2020 playoff win season.  From an extremely optimistic point of view, that could be the Baker we are getting...

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I wonder what the cost would have been to secure Baker after his 2020 season.  It's hard to tell what the injuries did to his throwing motion/accuracy etc. last year.  Just wondering how a deal would look at the beginning of free agency after his 2020 playoff win season.  From an extremely optimistic point of view, that could be the Baker we are getting...

My first thought was Ryan- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/ryan-tannehill-9818/

I honestly think if Rhules is staying, he will click with Baker hardcore. Then its tag time and use the above Ryan as blueprint. I hope the panthers are successful enough for this to happen.

I don't think it should automatically be his job. There is a better QB on the roster, if camp is the door and all things are equal Matt Corral could very well beat out a middle of the road QB who was on his way out before the hookup.

I hope Corral comes into camp with the eye of the tiger.

If you can't beat these two QBs who both have no business playing after their first contracts 4yrs later, then?!

BOTH are guys at the end of their NFL rainbows, maybe you should have been a third round QB if you can't top them.

They are your prey young warrior

Screenshot_20220618-002624~2.png

Edited by rippadonn
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Basbear said:

We will revisit this. 1st overall for a reason. Broke the rookie TD record for same reason(bye Cam). Broke the longest playoff drought in modern NFL history. Broke the Browns curse&QB curse(do I need to show that 20+list??). In that playoff game beat the brakes off the daddy steelers. 

Its a debatable, but Baker has the stronger case to claim #2. Talent-wise theres no debate. Results-wise- TBD

Nah. He has a long way to go. Baker has been as inconsistent as any QB in the league, and that doesn't make for a franchise QB. If he stops turning the ball over on a consistent basis, then we can begin talking about him, but it' going to take several more seasons of him taking care of the ball. Talent, TDs and yardage begins to be secondary when you're consistently throwing it to the opposition; just ask Jameis.

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

My first thought was Ryan- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/ryan-tannehill-9818/

I honestly think if Rhules is staying, he will click with Baker hardcore. Then its tag time and use the above Ryan as blueprint. I hope the panthers are successful enough for this to happen.

It was like a 4th and a 7th for Tannehill.  He also wasn't good at Miami.  Tennessee helped him make a decent leap.

Or are you talking about contract?  I think the Titans overpaid for Tannehill, but that might be the price for an average QB anymore...

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It was like a 4th and a 7th for Tannehill.  He also wasn't good at Miami.  Tennessee helped him make a decent leap.

Or are you talking about contract?  I think the Titans overpaid for Tannehill, but that might be the price for an average QB anymore...

Contract. yea it is too high, but brother thats cheap now. Dak, kermit, Watson are all 45ish and Arod is 50.........30 isnt even on page one it feels.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Nah. He has a long way to go. Baker has been as inconsistent as any QB in the league, and that doesn't make for a franchise QB. If he stops turning the ball over on a consistent basis, then we can begin talking about him, but it' going to take several more seasons of him taking care of the ball. Talent, TDs and yardage begins to be secondary when you're consistently throwing it to the opposition; just ask Jameis.

The thing is he actually already has cut down his INTs.  2019 year was went he went in overconfident had a coaching change form Jackson for Kitchen midseason and threw 21 INTs which is waaaay to many, I get it.  The following year (his last healthy year) he dropped it to 8 INTs with 26 TDs.  He shouldn't have played after week 2 last year, but I get that he did.  Even with a bad shoulder and injured planting foot he threw 13 INTs which was one less than his solid rookie season and way less than 2019.  Even with a shitty injured 2021 season he cut down his INTs.  

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yea hes had 2 good yrs and 2 poor yr, tho I want to protest one of those due to injury in week2. I view him playing hurt as +++ rather than minus, the teams is at fault for not having a better backup.

Look at this and see if it opens some thoughts-

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/career-passing.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm

Baker is just 27 fyi. Hes already 3rd in TDs and could pass Jake the great this season. 

I just hope his shoulder is 100%. While he may be immature, the browns absolutely threw him under the bus and I honestly think they were trying to get him hurt the last few games of the season. It will probably do him good to get him away from that dysfunctional franchise (to a slightly lesser dysfunctional franchise in us)

44 minutes ago, Basbear said:

We will revisit this. 1st overall for a reason. Broke the rookie TD record for same reason(bye Cam). Broke the longest playoff drought in modern NFL history. Broke the Browns curse&QB curse(do I need to show that 20+list??). In that playoff game beat the brakes off the daddy steelers. 

Its a debatable, but Baker has the stronger case to claim #2. Talent-wise theres no debate. Results-wise- TBD

He's not even in Jake's universe much less solar system.

You are off your rocker.

How do people forget how many great great throws Jake made.

X clown was perfect 

His Superbowl record pass to Moose was absolutely perfectly thrown.

It wasn't his fault he played for a coach who thought a punt was a good play.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I don't think it should automatically be his job. There is a better QB on the roster, if camp is the door and all things are equal Matt Corral could very well beat out a middle of the road QB who was on his way out before the hookup.

If you can't beat these two QBs who both have no business playing after their first contracts 4yrs later, then?!

BOTH are guys at the end of their NFL rainbows, maybe you should have been a third round QB if you can't top them.

Corral is not better….yet.   Throwing him to the wolves would be a ludicrous decision with Baker on board.

23 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Memes asides, Corral coming out like a bat out of hell would be the best out-come for the panthers and fans. Similar to wilson in Seattle, then you have a legit QB under control for 3 years at NFL pennies. .09% of chance that happens, but I would never forget it if it did... 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

He's not even in Jake's universe much less solar system.

You are off your rocker.

How do people forget how many great great throws Jake made.

X clown was perfect 

His Superbowl record pass to Moose was absolutely perfectly thrown.

It wasn't his fault he played for a coach who thought a punt was a good play.

Jake started his career started about the same time as Bakers current age. Love Jake and all that, but he doesnt come close to Baker form a skills point. If Baker remains healthy, he will lap Jake 3x in nearly every category= Plain fact.  

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Jake started his career started about the same time as Bakers current age. Love Jake and all that, but he doesnt come close to Baker form a skills point. If Baker remains healthy, he will lap Jake 3x in nearly every category= Plain fact.  

JFC of course he will in a pass happy offense over tons of years.

He won't produce for us in the same time period as healthy Jake especially when you consider we had dumb ass Fox Mr Draw on 3-12.

The man would try to nurse a 3 point lead until the Defense eventually cracked and then he'd say, "OK Jake, time to save me."

And you know it's true. If you deny it you just aren't being honest with yourself.