• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 qb class - Some good news

mrcompletely11

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I agree. I didn’t want Mayfield for that very reason. While “things change” and it’s early, 2023 already appears to be a better overall QB class. Doesn’t mean Corral is doomed, but it does mean that we are now stuck in a likely case where we won’t know if Corral is good enough to not draft a 2023 QB. IMHO, Mayfield isn’t worth that risk as cheap as the trade was. I personally don’t see Mayfield as our future franchise QB so it feels like the past two years all over again. I’ll root for Mayfield and I think we will be a better team this year, but I still feel like we haven’t solved our biggest issue even with all the money and picks we’ve thrown at guys who the Jets, Vikings/Jets/Saints and Cleveland didn’t want.

If we dont make the playoffs then this entire regime is done.   And with a new staff coming in you can bet your ass we will be drafting a qb in the first.   No new regime is going to start their process with a 3rd round qb that didnt play his rookie year.  Hence one of the frustrating reasons of getting baker after trading a significant pick for MC

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I hope they are doing their due diligence on the upcoming class.  If they are smart they will be looking for one worth trading up for if there is one they are in love with. 

Hopefully Baker Mayfield ends up as our franchise QB and we don't even have to consider drafting one next year. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Scouting the helmet in terms of NFL success at the position, from the school previously, is really misguided and most scouts will actually tell you that.

FWIW, my Ohio State sources have raved about Stroud since he was Fields’ backup. There’s a reason Chris Olave stayed an extra year when he likely would’ve been a first round pick

I love Anthony Richardson though, as a prospect. If you’re looking for Josh Allen, that’s the guy in this draft that I’d bet on (with Will Levi’s close behind).

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Panthera onca said:

We will see how he does this season, but he was a 35 and 5 guy last season. He is a pure pocket passer with good feet and pocket movement and can read defenses quite well, with a cannon arm.

College stats don't mean much.

He is a slight guy that isn't mobile and doesn't have an elite arm. He is going to have to be otherworldly to make much noise in the draft.

I like the kid but ask yourself which QB in this past draft he is/was better than? If there is more than about 2, that's not a franchise QB.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

College stats don't mean much.

He is a slight guy that isn't mobile and doesn't have an elite arm. He is going to have to be otherworldly to make much noise in the draft.

I like the kid but ask yourself which QB in this past draft he is/was better than? If there is more than about 2, that's not a franchise QB.

I haven't really seen the guy you're talking about but the description makes him sound like a WCO guy.

14 minutes ago, BlueBuck24 said:

Scouting the helmet in terms of NFL success at the position, from the school previously, is really misguided and most scouts will actually tell you that.

FWIW, my Ohio State sources have raved about Stroud since he was Fields’ backup. There’s a reason Chris Olave stayed an extra year when he likely would’ve been a first round pick

I love Anthony Richardson though, as a prospect. If you’re looking for Josh Allen, that’s the guy in this draft that I’d bet on (with Will Levi’s close behind).

Richardson also has thrown 66 career passes with 7 TD's and 6 INT'S. If there is anyone who may tank hard, it's probably him. Literally next to no tape on him.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I haven't really seen the guy you're talking about but the description makes him sound like a WCO guy.

He isn't a WCO guy specifically. He has a good arm but it's not an NFL elite arm. He is a good player but he doesn't have any NFL elite traits. 

Think Taylor Heinicke. 

1 hour ago, joemac said:

Hopefully Baker Mayfield ends up as our franchise QB and we don't even have to consider drafting one next year. 

If he can lead the Browns to the playoffs.....  Even his rookie season they were in play-off contention until week 16...for a team that had been 1-31...to barely missing the playoffs.  Had he played the first two weeks of the season that year, they might have made it.

• Beer 1

42 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Richardson also has thrown 66 career passes with 7 TD's and 6 INT'S. If there is anyone who may tank hard, it's probably him. Literally next to no tape on him.

agreed. Love his profile and physical skills, so hope he puts it all together. 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Grayson McCall set the record for Passer Efficiency in 2021 and was Sun Belt Freshman and Player of the year in 2020. I've watched him a lot and I think he has the potential to be a great NFL QB. Apparently Tom Brady's brand thinks so as well as they've already hitched the TB12 wagon to him.

McCall we be there end of round 1 early round 2.  We can get him if we chose to take another stab at QB. 

• Pie 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, frankw said:

You were deadset against drafting a QB and declared Malik Willis the next Ryan Leaf. Yet you're a dedicated fiend for the Coastal Carolina product. This is why we can't have honest talks about the QB position in the draft anymore.

Malik Willis was the WORST passer against pressure in this draft class and he wasn't even close. I watched Coastal several times (App fan) including how he played at App despite constant pressure and a bum ankle.

McCall is twice the quarterback that Malik Willis is and it will show with where he gets drafted next year. My hate of Willis had nothing to do with the fact that he was at Liberty but rather the fact that he is terrible when faced with pressure. He also can't hit anticipatory throws and if you listen to Steve Young, that is either something you have or don't have. Willis ain't it.

McCall on the other hand obliterated the FBS Passer Efficiency mark set by Tua, while having nearly 13 yards per Attempt, and running what I'd imagine to be a 4.6 40 at 6'3 and 210. There is nothing to not like about him.