• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke Keuchly on coaching

Luciu5

34 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

"I don’t think I’d ever say never. But I’m moving my way around it, if you think about it. I did the scouting. Now I’m gonna try to do this radio stuff. Obviously, the time commitment for coaching, there’s really no hiding that. I think that is what it is. And I think the moment you sign up, you have to be OK with the time. So we’ll see. You never say never. I love the game. It’s fun to teach. We’ll see what happens."

https://theathletic.com/3416574/2022/07/18/luke-kuechly-panthers-radio-baker-mayfield/

Overall an interesting read, but really vanilla. One thing clear from it though, I think Luke really loves the Panthers.

Yeah but he wore Bills gear that one time.

Lies No GIF

• Pie 2

I've said before that I think Luke burned himself out as a player. I also believe he's self-aware enough to know that if he went into coaching, he might wear himself out even more.

His comments reflect that. So does the previous foray into scouting that ended with his walking away.

That's why I think he won't ever be a coach. And if he is, it'll be strictly an assistant role (like a linebacker coach).

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, PantherFanInPhilly said:

The year is 2030 and Coach Kuechly takes the Panthers all the way to win their first Super Bowl. After the game, Luke says he couldn't have done it without a pregame pep talk by Ked Woodly.

His advice?

"Dominate the foe".  

I hope it doesn't take that long.

9 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I have a feeling something happened in the last few years (aside from the concussions taking their toll) that made him lose a bit of his love for the game.

I think playing tentatively instead of hard and fast kept him from being 100% Luke on the field. The guys that compete with his type of ferocity are miserable when they're "only" at 98% of their best.

47 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I have a feeling something happened in the last few years (aside from the concussions taking their toll) that made him lose a bit of his love for the game.

It's possible. Also possible that nothing needed to happen.

Jerry Richardson's first target to coach the Panthers was Joe Gibbs. Gibbs turned it down in part because he knew that if he took the job, he'd go all in and work himself to an absolute frazzle just like he'd done when he coached the Redskins. At that point though, he wanted more time with his family.

Kuechly is the same kind of guy, full speed, no quit, balls to the wall from start to finish. Once those guys burn out, it's really hard to relight the flame. And if I recall correctly, he's married now so that makes a difference too.

Side Note: How different might our history have been if Gibbs hadn't turned Jerry down 🤔