• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Brown a bust?

8 hours ago, shaq said:

Has Brown under preformed on expectations? Yes

is Brown a bust? No

Derrick Brown has been our best DT on the roster since he was drafted, played solid but not great. If you wanna see a bust just think about Vernon Butler… draft picks that provide zero value back are busts. Derrick Brown has provided us value as an above average DT, it sometimes takes big guys time to develop, so let’s just hope he stays motivated and can meet his potential.

He is not above average. I’d put him average to below. Hell, he was benched for a game last year and was completely  blown off the ball. top 10 defensive tackle going into year three should not be average.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

He is not above average. I’d put him average to below. Hell, he was benched for a game last year and was completely  blown off the ball. top 10 defensive tackle going into year three should not be average.

Most analysts have him ranked at the #25 spot for DT in the league, anything above #32 is deemed above average. I’m not trying to say it was a great pick or even a good pick but he simply is not a bust at this point. DT’s not named Aaron Donald shouldn’t be taken top 10 just like RB, DT is a lower value position. But Brown has started for us since day 1 providing us something in return which does not make him a bust, people way overuse the term bust it is meant for players who truly offer nothing back in return ala recent busts like Vernon Butler, Isaiah Wilson, Deandre Baker, Kevin White.

13 minutes ago, shaq said:

Enough with the Shaq slander he is one of our best players/leaders on this team.

It took Shaq how many years to just be a "good" LB. It is not slander if it is the truth. Yes he is one of our best players and a leader now but he has been in the league for 8 years. He was drafted in the first round and has never made a pro bowl. 

They were both over drafted and not only that but Shaq got overpaid, hopefully we dont make the same mistake with Brown. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

It took Shaq how many years to just be a "good" LB. It is not slander if it is the truth. Yes he is one of our best players and a leader now but he has been in the league for 8 years. He was drafted in the first round and has never made a pro bowl. 

They were both over drafted and not only that but Shaq got overpaid, hopefully we dont make the same mistake with Brown. 

This….I was just about to post the Exact same thing and you beat me to it. 

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Absolutely not. He has no one next to him that can take on blocks. He is basically forced to play nose tackle. I dont think he will become a super star, but he will definitely make some pro bowls and is well above average. He needs another big guy next to him. Whats he supposed to do with Burns, IIaniodis, and Hynes next to him? He is going to have to be the only one taking on all the blocks to at least try to stop the run. Also- takes on a ton of doubles when teams run against us. 

I’m expecting Dayvion Nixon to eventually fill the other DT spot. We’ve got decent enough depth to at least have a decent run defense this season.

6 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

This….I was just about to post the Exact same thing and you beat me to it. 

Seriously, the dudes career stats of 11.5 sacks 3 ints and 4 FF over 100 games with 89 as a starter. 

Those are numbers an elite LB can put up in one season. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 2

Just now, stbugs said:

It really didn’t take years. Dude was a starter his rookie year. He just didn’t have the stats that make people drool until TD left because well, he’s not going to play when the nickel comes in. I think the Kamara highlight play made people think he was not good but he was a good LB day 1 and was really good once TD left and he had more chances to shine.

If not for the Kamara play and his huge deal, which isn’t so bad with new deals being almost $20M for the top LBers. If we release him before 2023, his contract was basically a 3 year $39M deal which really shouldn’t be that big a deal for 2020-2022 where he’s been a stud.

All that would be fine if at any point he was an actual stud. He was a good LB among the ton of crap we have had at the position. Stud LBs get accolades, he is only a stud when compared to our other LBs. 

5 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

You clearly have a misunderstanding of the NFL draft, more then half of first round picks don’t get second contracts from their original team. Shaq was a very late first round pick, who was stuck behind one of the greatest linebackers of all time, and Thomas Davis to start his career. Shaq was a very solid late first round pick, is Shaqs contract the best? No, but he still returns value as our best linebacker/leader so his contract is not absurd.

• Pie 1