• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thursday Panthers Camp Updates

Zod

Just now, dxpanther said:

in the unlikely case you can't decide between two players, i'd really hope they would just have it decided by a foot race or three cone. giving it to the guy that puts his pads on and his shoes faster is just asinine to me.

It has nothing to do with who is faster. It’s not like these guys have an extra job or have to drive to practice or have any excuse for not being early. They are a few steps away from the field and if one guy wants to show initiative and come out early then he’ll definitely get a look over someone who shows up late assuming that they are in direct competition and all other things are considered equal.

It’s not like we are cutting D.J. Moore for some community college receiver because Moore showed up later… but for a player like Spencer Brown it could mean everything because he’s fighting for a practice squad spot. In the long run it’s better to do things that people will remember then to blend in the background.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Baker’s camp seems to be going much like his career… he giveth and taketh away.

Gunslingers gunsling.  It’s basically a Sam Darnold that scores.  You get the bad but with some good. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It has nothing to do with who is faster. It’s not like these guys have an extra job or have to drive to practice or have any excuse for not being early. They are a few steps away from the field and if one guy wants to show initiative and come out early then he’ll definitely get a look over someone who shows up late assuming that they are in direct competition and all other things are considered equal.

It’s not like we are cutting D.J. Moore for some community college receiver because Moore showed up later… but for a player like Spencer Brown it could mean everything because he’s fighting for a practice squad spot. In the long run it’s better to do things that people will remember then to blend in the background.

"late" no is showing up late here. it's literally a few minutes. it's gimmicky bs that only the fans care about. If coaches actually cared, then every fringe player would be out there sleeping on the field fully dressed and ready to go. "put me in coach!" 

i would love for them to ask a coach about whether this is a factor in their decision making. if they say yes, you'll see every scrub doing random gimmicky, "im a hard worker" performances left and right. dudes out there cutting the grass and painting lines like theyre rudy.

1 minute ago, dxpanther said:

"late" no is showing up late here. it's literally a few minutes. it's gimmicky bs that only the fans care about. If coaches actually cared, then every fringe player would be out there sleeping on the field fully dressed and ready to go. "put me in coach!" 

i would love for them to ask a coach about whether this is a factor in their decision making. if they say yes, you'll see every scrub doing random gimmicky, "im a hard worker" performances left and right. dudes out there cutting the grass and painting lines like theyre rudy.

I’ve been in the meeting rooms when stuff like this happens so we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said no one is going to say that player A made it over player B because player A was out early. But I’ve heard more times than I can count… Well, with player A he’s always out early and ready to go and we never have to question his energy… take it for what it’s worth but I’ve seen it benefit players to be the first player out more than I’ve seen it hurt them.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, dxpanther said:

It’s not totally pointless/irrelevant.   Tone setters.  Mindset. Work ethic.  It’s a positive.  

Cam was first on the field basically his entire career. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’ve been in the meeting rooms when stuff like this happens so we’ll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said no one is going to say that player A made it over player B because player A was out early. But I’ve heard more times than I can count… Well, with player A he’s always out early and ready to go and we never have to question his energy… take it for what it’s worth but I’ve seen it benefit players to be the first player out more than I’ve seen it hurt them.

Insane. "Whoever is the earliest early bird gets the spot!" Please God don't let this be the Panthers' way.

• Poo 3

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Looks like it's gonna be an INT party this year folks.

Defense generally comes out ahead of the O historically and Baker is throwing to all new players.   

plus a lot of practice demands a throw for the  rep.   Which riskier throws are just part of the practice rep IMO.  Doesn’t do a lot of good to toss one into the sideline because the throw isn’t there. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

6 minutes ago, dxpanther said:

Insane. "Whoever is the earliest early bird gets the spot!" Please God don't let this be the Panthers' way.

You’re acting like this formula is used for every player… if Spencer Brown and John Lovett are neck and neck for a spot and the coaching staff is split then it’s probably more beneficial to Brown that he’s out early every day, high energy, and getting warmed up before his competition.

You are acting like we’d keep Uncle Rico over Corral because Uncle Rico showed up earlier. That’s not case at all and I’ve said multiple times that if all other things are considered equal. It’s not my fault you are having issues understanding the premise.

At the end of the day Brown is only going to help himself by being early.

What is silly is telling Brown and Lovett to go run the 40 to decide who makes the team.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 7
  • Flames 1