• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Barnwell's 25 NFL Breakout Candidates for 2022

kungfoodude

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/34397790/predicting-25-nfl-breakout-candidates-2022-tiers-players-including-trey-lance-rashan-gary-trevor-lawrence-rashod-bateman

Tier 2: Pro Bowler to Superstar

DJ Moore, WR, Carolina Panthers

We might need some help from Baker Mayfield for this one. Moore has been one of the steadiest producers in football despite playing with replacement-level quarterbacks over the past three seasons:

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1558574122640326658?s=20&t=JEvCCAE7Kf5FSDbVj8EK3Q

The only thing missing from his profile is touchdowns; he has hasn't topped four in a single season. To pick a round number, Moore has three seasons with at least 1,000 receiving yards and no more than four scores, something only Brian Blades and Henry Ellard have pulled off. Both Blades and Ellard managed to top four scores multiple times in other campaigns, though, and with Mayfield offering a significant boost on Sam Darnold, I would expect Moore to score more often in 2022.

• Pie 1

We had 14 receiving TDs total last year.  That is roughly 1/3 of what Dallas, Tampa, and the Rams had.  DJ had roughly 30% of ours, but the total number sums up the problem. 

We had half as many total TDs as the top teams in the league. 

DJ is probably pacing the floor waiting to see who wins the competition at QB.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Moore has the potential to be one of the biggest names in Football if he can get some decent QB play. 

His RAC is elite. 

Agreed. Glad he's here but I can't help but imagine this dude playing with Mahomes or Rodgers in a pass happy offense. He easily puts up 1500+ yards and probably 10+ TDs a year with those guys in those offenses. I'm hopeful that Baker will be a step in the right direction for him at least, in terms of QB play helping to elevate him. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, t96 said:

Agreed. Glad he's here but I can't help but imagine this dude playing with Mahomes or Rodgers in a pass happy offense. He easily puts up 1500+ yards and probably 10+ TDs a year with those guys in those offenses. I'm hopeful that Baker will be a step in the right direction for him at least, in terms of QB play helping to elevate him. 

We WERE pass happy with Brady. Get a solid run game with great pass blocking and good QB play. Think 2005 panthers with Smitty.  

18 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

We WERE pass happy with Brady. Get a solid run game with great pass blocking and good QB play. Think 2005 panthers with Smitty.  

We were 16th in pass play percentage in 2022.  15th in pass play percentage in 2021.   Which puts us essentially exactly in the middle of the pack.  

It’s a passing era but we weren’t pass heavy by league standards 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1