• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers expected to name Baker Mayfield Week 1 starter.

hepcat

21 minutes ago, frankw said:

He's being paid almost 19 million to ride the bench and eventually walk out the door to another opportunity. He would have to be a real douchecanoe to not have a good attitude about that.

for real right? what a life!

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's been expected since the day we traded for Mayfield.

The goofball "competition" was stupid and wasted time that could have been put to better use.

I’ve seen it mentioned that they did the “competition” because Sam is well liked by some of the players including our favorite meathead Christian McCaffrey.

Just now, hepcat said:

I’ve seen it mentioned that they did the “competition” because Sam is well liked by some of the players including our favorite meathead Christian McCaffrey.

Oy 🙄

That'd be just as stupid as trying to help PJ Walker get a job with another team.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

More from Person...

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said it was disappointing the actions of a few players would take away from the work the two teams accomplished and distract from the football storylines.

Like the Panthers’ quarterback competition.

Rhule had indicated he could decide between Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold by the Patriots’ week. But the former Temple and Baylor coach offered no clarity Wednesday after the second of two practices with New England.

“I wanted to at least get to this point. When we know, we know. So it could be at any point,” Rhule said. “It could be two more weeks from now. It could be now. … We’re just making sure we’re thorough.”

Being thorough is one thing. But the shared reps and alternating series make it hard for either quarterback to develop rhythm and timing with the backs, receivers and linemen. Mayfield played one series in the first exhibition at Washington — a 13-play drive that stalled after Mayfield fumbled an exchange with center Pat Elflein.

Maybe the fumble happens regardless of how many reps Mayfield and Elflein had gotten this week. Maybe not.

The Athletic

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

More from Person...

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said it was disappointing the actions of a few players would take away from the work the two teams accomplished and distract from the football storylines.

Like the Panthers’ quarterback competition.

Rhule had indicated he could decide between Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold by the Patriots’ week. But the former Temple and Baylor coach offered no clarity Wednesday after the second of two practices with New England.

“I wanted to at least get to this point. When we know, we know. So it could be at any point,” Rhule said. “It could be two more weeks from now. It could be now. … We’re just making sure we’re thorough.”

Being thorough is one thing. But the shared reps and alternating series make it hard for either quarterback to develop rhythm and timing with the backs, receivers and linemen. Mayfield played one series in the first exhibition at Washington — a 13-play drive that stalled after Mayfield fumbled an exchange with center Pat Elflein.

Maybe the fumble happens regardless of how many reps Mayfield and Elflein had gotten this week. Maybe not.

The Athletic

Watching Rhule makes me think I could be a successful NFL head coach. 

• Beer 1

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

Watching Rhule makes me think I could be a successful NFL head coach. 

From the same article...

“We’re not winging it,” Rhule said. “We have a really good plan, and sometimes I don’t feel at liberty to share it out of respect for the guys.”

We have a great plan. We're just not telling you.

Remind you of anything? 🤔

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the same article...

“We’re not winging it,” Rhule said. “We have a really good plan, and sometimes I don’t feel at liberty to share it out of respect for the guys.”

We have a great plan. We're just not telling you.

Remind you of anything? 🤔

Translation. I don't have a fugging clue what I'm doing. 

It is what it is. 

9 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Well if this is true, they need to quit giving Sam all those fake ass reps and split then between Matt and PJ.  

Why?  Sam is going to be the backup unless some team wants to trade for him.  Pj probably isnt going to be on the roster and so far Matt hasnt done anything at all to earn more reps.  Most third round rookies arent handed a bunch of reps.  They have to earn them.  So far getting to practice early hasnt been enough surprisingly. 

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Corral was the most talented to play at Ole Miss since Eli. Best QB in the SEC 2021 and arguably 2022. I think this organization is trying to convince him he's nothing but a third rounder until THEY build him back up. Which is small minded.

Same trick ownership has been playing with this fan base. Tearing it down to "build back better".  They've stumbled and flailed and operate in a very backward manor most of the time. Irrational. No building has taken place much like Rock Hill. 

Insanity? Rhule is on his third failed NFL castaway QB in 3yrs. Does that sound like somebody who knows what he's doing? How to choose a QB? Kicked Cam out called Cam back?! Now Sam gets thrown under the bus in favor of Baker. The same strategy for the last couple losing seasons, it's gotta work now! 

This is a bad take.  They are trying to convince him hes not good and not ready?  His play has clearly done that so far..

• Pie 1

This place lol.  They cry about Icky not starting immediately, Rhule wants him to earn his spot, he does and is now the starter, the huddle cries.  The huddle cries that Baker isnt the starting qb, rhule says their is a competition, Baker wins it, Baker is named the starter, and alas, the huddle cries.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

I know all of you huddle geniuses know that Baker's a lock for Canton, but believe it or not, there are some dolts out there like Rhule that aren't 100% sure.

Sam Darnold can look the part of NFL QB every now and then and because of this, he's fooled many analysts and obviously our coaching staff/ FO. Even though we put him behind a line that was easily as bad if not worse than the Jets, it was just obvious last year, he's just not the guy. Still though, his size, arm, and athleticism (plus the fact that we have to pay him a ton this year) made everyone hope that he spent the offseason getting the yips hypnotized out of him and came back a new man behind a new line. It was worth trying, I guess.

Having said that, if you think that the possibility of losing a QB competition to Sam fuging Darnold didn't motivate someone like Baker Mayfield, you're fooling yourself. Baker's had immaturity and ego problems in his career so far, and making him earn his spot was a slice of humble pie that he needed.

And if there's any place that appreciates the value of pie, it's the Carolina Huddle.

• Pie 7