• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral heading to IR

Floppin

Just now, WOW!! said:

The fact that the deal was still being discussed before during and after drafting Corral.. Let's me know Matt C performance in a rookie Mini camp had no bearing on the original plan..

Then looking at Rhule situation makes it even clearer iIMO..

I think they were interested in Baker and continued to have open lines of communication but I don't think they really began a serious pursuit until after rookie camp and OTAs.

Just now, Floppin said:

What I'm saying is that they were hedging their bets but didn't really want to pull the trigger until they got some hands on time with Corral and then once they did, well they started to get serious about the acquisition.

Okay I can go with this..

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

The fact that the deal was still being discussed before during and after drafting Corral.. Let's me know Matt C performance in a rookie Mini camp had no bearing on the original plan..

Then looking at Rhule situation makes it even clearer iIMO.. No rookie in this draft was coming in and saving his job. He needs wins not another development season..

Yeah, we were in continual talks. Why wouldn't we be if we knew we may end up actively pursuing him? Seems to me that we assessed that the market was soft. So why not be patient and A) negotiate the best possible deal and also B) get a chance to get a better evaluation of our rookie in the meantime?

I think if Corral had looked like another Russell Wilson in rookie camp our next conversation with the Browns would've basically been, "If we have an injury we'll give you a call but as of now we're out."

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, we were in continual talks. Why wouldn't we be if we knew we may end up actively pursuing him? Seems to me that we assessed that the market was soft. So why not be patient and A) negotiate the best possible deal and also B) get a chance to get a better evaluation of our rookie in the meantime?

I think if Corral had looked like another Russell Wilson in rookie camp our next conversation with the Browns would've basically been, "If we have an injury we'll give you a call but as of now we're out."

This theory makes a lot of sense. I think it's clear even from limited reps that Corral was a year away. But everyone kind of knew this with all the rookie QBs. That is why only 1 went if the first round. 

• Pie 2

So the #1 question to IR, doesn't this limit him to not be an active participant in practice? Doesn't he need reps more than film?

Honestly with the 3 vets and their "rhule established" roles for now, this is a game to let the team figure the other 3 guys out the 1st few weeks.  If the IR designation is not already for the year maybe bring him in late for reps in practice as #2 and emergency qb on game days.

That said imo, they needed to pick 2 from pj, sam, baker, and be done with it. Then let the kid get more reps in practice to get up to actual game speed. Pure film study isn't going to get him going. 

Oh and kiffen needs back in the NFL.  He makes great offenses with marginal talent. Also he is also a part to play on this debacle, he got the most out of corral with scripts and being able to really screw with folks with matchups and easier throws. Also had him run a bit more than he should as a pro, and that was a significant part of the O. Now kiffen, more than the shark, has chops for the pros imo and a comeback would be fine with me if it was here. But that's another topic.

Back to Mc. Thinking Corral was a day one starter in the NFL should have been fireable offense for all involved. If you wanted that Howell was closer. Baker and Jimmy G have been in play since Watson went to Cleveland, Lance was drafted and most importantly Sam imploded so much after game 3 last year. They didn't do the silliness of last year and go ham early like they did with Sam. Instead if overpaying the browns or 49ers, that waited for the price to come down and let the browns go silly and backed into a trade. Fans have been hyping Corral waaaay to much with savior when he was destined to be clipboard guy at best this year. If he started it was going to be cause of injuries or we have a new interim HC who gets a mandate to see what he has late in the season. He want in the russ mold: highly productive in multiple offenses but "too short" to play. Plus he went to a team with a real HC, a good running game, well over 100 per game and only 3 under 115. 8* games under 200 yards passing though (1 not counted cause silly blowout).

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This was a hookup for Baker Matt Rhule was determined to make happen regardless of who we drafted. Not a competitive decision but a favor because they were doing Baker dirty and nobody else were breaking their necks to trade for Baker.

Don't forget it's:

Rhules School for Wayward NFL QBs 

Let's not forget Operation Golden Corral was a response to Rhules refusing to draft and develop a QB. We knew he wasn't going to play Corral, but not only that, he put him at the end of the bench behind three players that would struggle to make another NFL roster.

• Pie 1

You guys talking about my Matt Corral man crush are missing the point completely. I've said on this here site that we needed to see what we had in Corral before next draft.

He was mismanaged into absolutely NO practice or reps for a whole season. Future QB development was an afterthought. What was Rhule "Winning"?! If we had a real GM Matt Rhule would be told he must prepare and play this rookie or prepare him to be QB2, but no, LAST on the depth chart as a f' you to common sense and fans like ripp who want to move the f' on from this damn QB Menagerie and settle into the "future".

It's really f'd up for Matt and I'm still on the bandwagon but I'm also on the bandwagon of using a top pick on a QB next draft.

Corral came in and did EVERYTHING correct as a young leader and showed us circus accuracy a live arm and dedication. For that, for being early, for having the audacity of wanting to start, being YOUR steal in the draft, he got the very end of the bench. Disgraceful. Petty. Everything before Matt Corral and now this. Time to part ways immediately. You didn't prepare that young man ON PURPOSE because of your failed used dirty underwear agenda and your own ego.

Matt Rhules trajectory is a swift kick in the ass, mid season, I have a feeling Teppers trigger finger is itching. Just a feeling.

I can't see this team winning over seven games. Seven only because they now have to deal with a McAdoo, non amateur, offensive scheme.

2 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

He was mismanaged into absolutely NO practice or reps for a whole season. Future QB development was an afterthought. What was Rhule "Winning"?! If we had a real GM Matt Rhule would be told he must prepare and play this rookie or prepare him to be QB2, but no, LAST on the depth chart as a f' you to common sense and fans like ripp who want to move the f' on from this damn QB Menagerie and settle into the "future".

Yeah, I am starting to believe the chain of command on this team is screwed up.  We know that Rhule has more say than most HCs.  I agree most GMs would have put their foot down over the PJ over MC

I'm not surprised that Tepper didn't put his foot down on this matter too.  

• Beer 1

I feel like it's pretty obvious that Baker was not Rhule's decision. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this sham of a QB competition. I think once it was realized that Corral wasn't ready that Fitt (possibly with Tepper's greenlight) went and got Baker and now Rhule is being a crybaby bitch about it because Sam is his guy. 

This is also why there's the reports of drama in the locker room about the competition and why Fitterer was obviously annoyed with the competition while speaking about it during his in booth interview during the game.

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1