• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It’s been less than two months since we traded for Mayfield…..

WarPanthers89

12 hours ago, rayzor said:

Yeah, it's beaten me down pretty bad. Hanging on by a thread here. Wouldn't be jumping to another team or anything. Would just lose interest and find something better to do that won't constantly frustrate me. It's just not much fun anymore. I'm hoping Baker changes that for me. 

We all do. It has been tough especially going to games where we won only 2 home games last year. That is why I loved the preseason game even though it didn't count. It has been a long time since we have won anything to cheer about. But Baker is going to get us back to being a tough out if the defense holds up.

Edited by panthers55

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The cap can be manipulated a dozen different ways. But no you don't tag a player because then it is due right then. By doing a long term contract you can backload which is what most everyone does these days.

Baker would have to decisively show he is the guy to garner a 40+ mil deal from us, I will wager. 

And we don't know that Fitterer or the new head coach will be sold on him to that tune.

I think the real question(and this is heavily dependent on how good he looks this coming season) is will anyone else in the NFL consider giving him that big of a deal? Given the general lack of interest in him this past offseason, I have my doubts.

If I had to guess, he will have to sign a "second tier" level contract on a shorter term deal somewhere in the NFL.

Baker is going to give us the best QB play we've seen since 2017 this season and take us out of the basement to mediocrity.  That said, I'm not sure that's going to worth the extension he'll be looking for.  IF he likes the organization/the area and takes a 'home town' deal, I wouldn't be opposed.  However, Baker will be looking not only for QB1 money, but franchise-type money.  Considering the QB deals of late, I don't think he will be worth it.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Baker would have to decisively show he is the guy to garner a 40+ mil deal from us, I will wager. 

And we don't know that Fitterer or the new head coach will be sold on him to that tune.

I think the real question(and this is heavily dependent on how good he looks this coming season) is will anyone else in the NFL consider giving him that big of a deal? Given the general lack of interest in him this past offseason, I have my doubts.

If I had to guess, he will have to sign a "second tier" level contract on a shorter term deal somewhere in the NFL.

You're exactly right if we don't bring him back at the price he wants he will have to take a prove it deal with any other team 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

If we start winning we might be able to get hometown discounts and players wanting to play here which helps at contract time. If Baker has a good year he will find a landing spot here or elsewhere.  There aren't 32 franchise qbs so there are always teams interested. 

1 minute ago, DMathematics said:

You're exactly right if we don't bring him back at the price he wants he will have to take a prove it deal with any other team 

Yeah, that 40+ mark is still going to be considered the "elite line" for one more offseason, unless we see a huge cap adjustment in 2023. The only QB that probably has made it past that line that most didn't understand was probably Murray. 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

If we start winning we might be able to get hometown discounts and players wanting to play here which helps at contract time. If Baker has a good year he will find a landing spot here or elsewhere.  There aren't 32 franchise qbs so there are always teams interested. 

You are talking about YEARS into the future for things like hometown discounts, unfortunately. Ron had that at a certain point because he was beloved by the players, even with relatively modest success. And we are nowhere near "ring chasing" status very, VERY sadly.

If Baker plays at an elite level in 2022, there might be a run on him. But if he plays at a good to above average level then I think his future will be a lot more unclear. The one benefit that he will have is being a true free agent versus late offseason trade bait, like he was in 2022. A lot of QB needy teams had already set their positions by the time he was openly available.

2023 will be a much more true look at his league wide value.

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

This is his prove it deal. If he balls out this year the money will be there from us or elsewhere.

QB class is magical next year... if teams need a QB they will try their luck their first then what? Mayfield waiting out again until training camp lol if we don't pay him he's toast 

• Poo 1

Just now, DMathematics said:

QB class is magical next year... if teams need a QB they will try their luck their first then what? Mayfield waiting out again until training camp lol if we don't pay him he's toast 

Ive come to the conclusion that no matter how baker plays, good or bad, I bet we draft a qb in the first in 2023. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Ive come to the conclusion that no matter how baker plays, good or bad, I bet we draft a qb in the first in 2023. 

As we should.. now he's the kicker will we be bad enough to sit top 5 and have one fall to us? Or will we just be good enough to be outside that top 10 and have to make ANOTHER trade for a QB. Its obvious Rhule has no plan its shameful  

• Poo 1

20 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

It's going to be weird in here this season to see some people slowly turn a 180 and start rooting for Baker.

I think with the Corral let down, reality is reforming.  I think he can be our starting QB if we surround him with talent.   We went to a super bowl with Jake Delhomme, after all, and he rose to the occasion,

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You are talking about YEARS into the future for things like hometown discounts, unfortunately. Ron had that at a certain point because he was beloved by the players, even with relatively modest success. And we are nowhere near "ring chasing" status very, VERY sadly.

If Baker plays at an elite level in 2022, there might be a run on him. But if he plays at a good to above average level then I think his future will be a lot more unclear. The one benefit that he will have is being a true free agent versus late offseason trade bait, like he was in 2022. A lot of QB needy teams had already set their positions by the time he was openly available.

2023 will be a much more true look at his league wide value.

There are a lot of teams with young guys who are unproven or guys who are just first starters.  If Baker gets us to a winning season teams will be lined up to sign him.  Again there are 32 very good quarterbacks in the league.