• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Refs screwed us

gorillamilitia13

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I'll give you the pass heavy O and the D stuff.  Many people here predicted that.  I was hoping we'd go pass heavy to preserve CMC and leverage DJ,  Robbie and Baker... and that is exactly what they did.   

Our early game struggles came from O showing early season jitters and gelling issues.  As for McAdoo's O being "predictable", if that was the reason for our early game struggles, how did it become less predictable as the game wore on?

I mean, he wasn't less predictable.  He was using the same formation and running the same junk all game.  The Browns had some big busts in coverage.  And good things generally happen when an opponent fugs up big time. 

I mean, you could play a John Fox 3rd and long draw play horrifically.  That doesn't make John Fox a wizard. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, he wasn't less predictable.  He was using the same formation and running the same junk all game.  The Browns had some big busts in coverage.  And good things generally happen when an opponent fugs up big time. 

I mean, you could play a John Fox 3rd and long draw play horrifically.  That doesn't make John Fox a wizard. 

To be fair the play calling is meant to cause confusion and busted coverages.  That's what plays are drawn up to do in general.

• Flames 1

Just now, CRA said:

So you're saying they could predict the play, knew where we were going, but didn't put coverage there in the 4th? 

You can't "blow" coverage if you can predict where the play is going.  

I didn't say he was a wizard, NY did when they made him head coach after his OC performance.

McAdoo's "predictable" offense, didn't cause Thomas's hold, Elflien's performance, Baker's bad throw for an int, Baker's dropped snaps or Icky getting blown up.  I don't even think you could put the tipped passes on that, Baker just has had a problem with that because of his height.

25 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

To be fair the play calling is meant to cause confusion and busted coverages.  That's what plays are drawn up to do in general.

well, yeah, there is truth to that.   

But I'm largely addressing the narrative of pound claiming some huge adjustment was made.  There wasn't.   The Browns busted coverage, committed penalties, and Baker improvising after a playcall fizzled out.....is getting pimped as a McAdoo half time adjustments. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, yeah, there is truth to that.   

But I'm largely addressing the narrative of pound claiming some huge adjustment was made.  There wasn't.   The Browns bustedn coverage, committed penalties, and Baker improving after a playcall fizzled out.....is getting pimped as a McAdoo half time adjustments. 

I'm not claiming there was a huge adjustment.  I'm claiming that our issues on O had nothing to do with "predictable" O.   

If the problem with an O is predictably, that doesn't improve as the game wears on.

Edited by poundaway

31 minutes ago, poundaway said:

So you're saying they could predict the play, knew where we were going, but didn't put coverage there in the 4th? 

You can't "blow" coverage if you can predict where the play is going.  

I didn't say he was a wizard, NY did when they made him head coach after his OC performance.

McAdoo's "predictable" offense, didn't cause Thomas's hold, Elflien's performance, Baker's bad throw for an int, Baker's dropped snaps or Icky getting blown up.  I don't even think you could put the tipped passes on that, Baker just has had a problem with that because of his height.

a blown coverage just takes one person to mess it up.   

NY said McAdoo was a horrific playcaller and game manager once Tom Coughlin didn't have this thumb all over McAdoo.   And he basically was blackballed by the NFL from ever doing it again.

No, McAdoo's bad gameplan didn't cause those other things you mentioned.  That was addressed early too.  That is Matt Rhule having a team comically unprepared.   Well, you can put the Icky thing on McAdoo and Rhule.  Again, a disastrous week 1 gameplan they had for their rookie LT. 

Take the QB/C exchange.  It was clearly going to be an issue and it was talked about going into the season.   The lack of reps.  The exchange issue surfaced in the preseason. And even during the game guys with access claimed it was a problem in the practice leading up to the game.  Matt Rhule then lies and say it totally wasn't a concern or problem in practice and act like it came out of left field LOL. 

Just now, CRA said:

NY said McAdoo was a horrific playcaller and game manager once Tom Coughlin didn't have this thumb all over McAdoo.   And he basically was blackballed by the NFL from ever doing it again.

No, McAdoo's bad gameplan didn't cause those other things you mentioned.  That was addressed early too.  That is Matt Rhule having a team comically unprepared.   Well, you can put the Icky thing on McAdoo and Rhule.  Again, a disastrous week 1 gameplan they had for their rookie LT. 

Take the QB/C exchange.  It was clearly going to be an issue and it was talked about going into the season.   The lack of reps.  The exchange issue surfaced in the preseason. And even during the game guys with access claimed it was a problem in the practice leading up to the game.  Matt Rhule then lies and say it totally wasn't a concern or problem in practice and act like it came out of left field LOL. 

rockstar OC + College coach = shitshow

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I agree with most of that.  But it still doesn't support your prediction of a predictable O scheme hampering our offense.

Many of the issues were preparedness.  The same thing is being said of Rodgers and Burrow right now.  Rodgers because he doesn't play preseason, and Burrow because of his surgery.  Rhule's excuse is we didn't get Baker until July.

Edited by poundaway