• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Head Coaching suggestions

DJ feed me moore

7 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

If he’s good the Lions will promote him..

To head coach? Kinda doubt it.

Johnson is from the Carolinas and may well have grown up as a Panther fan.

He'd have been about 17 when the team went to their first Super Bowl.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Truly sad that four games into a season and were already talking about hiring a new coach. 

That being said, I’m going with Tepper on this one. I want someone who has already proven they can win.

excited michigan football GIF by Michigan Athletics

Lol at all these huddlers with the fresh new OC, fresh new DC. 

Guess what? No more upstarts. Winners only!

• Pie 1

The retread proven winner idea sounds nice... until you look at how many of them fail to reproduce their success.

The Dolphins and the Cowboys both hired two time Super Bowl winners in Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Neither of them sniffed a Super Bowl with their new teams.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The retread proven winner idea sounds nice... until you look at how many of them fail to reproduce their success.

The Dolphins and the Cowboys both hired two-time Super Bowl winners in Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Neither of them sniffed a Super Bowl with their new teams.

Parcells made the Super Bowl in his second stint as a head coach with New England.   Jimmy Johnson made the playoffs three of his four years with Miami.  

That being said, its difficult to repeat success as a Super Bowl winner.   For that matter, its difficult to get to and win the Super Bowl  The odds are stacked against any  specific team and coach. 

Edited by Davidson Deac II

17 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Parcells made the Super Bowl in his second stint as a head coach with New England.   Jimmy Johnson made the playoffs three of his four years with Miami.  

That being said, its difficult to repeat success as a Super Bowl winner.   For that matter, its difficult to get to and win the Super Bowl  The odds are stacked against any  specific team and coach. 

Johnson's initial success came with a team that could just outspend everybody for the top stars. Once the salary cap was implemented, he came back to earth.

No coach who's won a Super Bowl has ever won another with a second team. Yet fans think hiring a guy like Payton is a clear path to a championship.

A lot goes into coaching success, with the organization being a big part of it. That's a prime reason why I cringe when people think hiring someone who's one in the past guarantees smooth sailing.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Just now, Doc Holiday said:

Everyone who wants an offensive coordinator, which is mostly everyone. 

The hard part about selling Panther fans on a defensive coach is that it's all we've ever had.

Beyond that though, the league is pushing more and more toward maximizing offense and limiting defense.

It's much harder to win big with say, a Ron Rivera type than it used to be.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Johnson's initial success came with a team that could just outspend everybody for the top stars. Once the salary cap was implemented, he came back to earth.

No coach who's won a Super Bowl has ever won another with a second team. Yet fans think hiring a guy like Payton is a clear path to a championship.

A lot goes into coaching success, with the organization being a big part of it. That's a prime reason why I cringe when people think hiring someone who's one in the past guarantees smooth sailing.

I will say I’ll settle for consistent winning seasons over super bowl wins at this point. Once we get to where we are at least being competitive season to season I’ll worry about Super Bowls. 

right now we haven’t been competitive in years.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I will say I’ll settle for consistent winning seasons over super bowl wins at this point. Once we get to where we are at least being competitive season to season I’ll worry about Super Bowls. 

right now we haven’t been competitive in years.

I'm not up for settling.

After 25+ years as a Panther fan, I've settled enough.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The hard part about selling Panther fans on a defensive coach is that it's all we've ever had.

Beyond that though, the league is pushing more and more toward maximizing offense and limiting defense.

It's much harder to win big with say, a Ron Rivera type than it used to be.

I agree, Rivera’s unwillingness to change with the game is one of his bigger issues but still far better than Jon “stuck in 1994” Fox, I think proven great DC’s are more reliable overall than chasing the “next big thing” coach.

I agree, Rivera’s unwillingness to change with the game is one of his bigger issues but still far better than Jon “stuck in 1994” Fox, I think proven great DC’s are more reliable overall than chasing the “next big thing” coach.

For the record, my top choice is Rich Bisaccia. I'm not a huge fan of chasing the next Sean McVay because as often as not, what you actually wind up with is the next Joe Brady.

Now with that said, there's an argument to be made that if you don't keep up with the way league offenses are going right now, your risk being left behind.

If you watched the Chiefs-Bills playoff game last season, you'd have to ask yourself whether a defense based team could have withstood that.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Bring in Flores for an interview and go from there but only candidates with multiple years of NFL coaching experience. No more college coaches.

Someone else has already mentioned it on here, but I really think a lot of people are overrating Flores.

It's valid that he didn't deserve to get fired by the Dolphins when he did. It's also valid that he wasn't really all that successful with the Dolphins either.

Throw in the talk about toxic environments and the fact that he comes from the Belichick coaching tree, and there are a lot of questions to be asked.

Edited by Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not up for settling.

After 25+ years as a Panther fan, I've settled enough.

Gotta work on getting hits and getting on base before I worry about hitting home runs. 

I’d rather have a batter that hits .300 + than a batter that hits .200 but hits more home runs.

Tho right now we are hitting .010 so anything will be an improvement.