• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How could we not give Fitt another chance?!?

DMathematics

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I asked a few weeks ago why Morgan is so well regarded here and seemingly other places?  What has he done?  The only thing I could find in articles was that he is a hard worker.  Which seems like code for something else

Basically because he played for the Panthers and was good.

I'd honestly say anybody thinking they can just replace Fitterer with Morgan is probably dreaming.

Morgan and Fitterer aren't just close friends, their families are friends too. They've actually vacationed together, so you're not just talking about Morgan agreeing to the job. His wife and kids would have to sign off as well. Add to that that Morgan considers Fitterer his mentor and the reason he is where he is now.

Doesn't stop there though. You're also asking Morgan to work for the boss who not only fired his good friend, but did so unfairly. Does he then just say "Oh he wouldn't do that to me"? I wouldn't bet on that, especially given that more than has been in a position to see all the dysfunction that's gone on behind the scenes.

Part of the problem why folks are a little unrealistic about this is that they see it as Dan Morgan working for the Panthers. It's not it's Dan Morgan working for David Tepper. And once David Tepper becomes the guy who fired his good friend, and did so unfairly, it doesn't become such an appealing job. Especially given that both Morgan and Fitterer could probably find jobs elsewhere without too much trouble.

I get the fan appeal of wanting the star player to come back and be a coach/ executive / whatever, but these are real people, not Madden characters.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

John Ellis really really likes Morgan.  Compared him to billy beane.  I sent him a twitter message asking why and he has yet to respond.  I am not saying Morgan is good or bad just trying to figure out where this allure is coming from

It's probably hard for us fans to know exactly what these assistants/scouts/staff members are doing behind the scenes.  Well liked throughout the organization is a common phrase that was used for Beane and I would assume means he has done his job pretty well.  It also speaks well for him that Beane wanted him on his staff pretty quickly when he went to Buffalo and Fitt wanted him back when he got the job here.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basically because he played for the Panthers and was good.

I'd honestly say anybody thinking they can just replace Fitterer with Morgan is probably dreaming.

Morgan and Fitterer aren't just close friends, their families are friends too. They've actually vacationed together, so you're not just talking about Morgan agreeing to the job. His wife and kids would have to sign off as well. Add to that that Morgan considers Fitterer his mentor and the reason he is where he is now.

Doesn't stop there though. You're also asking Morgan to work for the boss who not only fired his good friend, but did so unfairly. Does he then just say "Oh he wouldn't do that to me"? I wouldn't bet on that, especially given that more than has been in a position to see all the dysfunction that's gone on behind the scenes.

Part of the problem why folks are a little unrealistic about this is that they see it as Dan Morgan working for the Panthers. It's not it's Dan Morgan working for David Tepper. And once David Tepper becomes the guy who fired his good friend, and did so unfairly, it doesn't become such an appealing job. Especially given that both Morgan and Fitterer could probably find jobs elsewhere without too much trouble.

I get the fan appeal of wanting the star player to come back and be a coach/ executive / whatever, but these are real people, not Madden characters.

How is it unfairly?  You are assuming Rhule was the driving force behind some of these bad trades, contracts etc.  We have no idea, but I am sure Tepper knows.  Do we know for sure Rhule wanted Darnold and was the main person that got him extended before the season started?  Was it Rhule that traded away a 3rd for Henderson or signed Thomas and Anderson to those terrible contracts?  Was it Rhule that signed Erving and Elf to dumb contracts right away last offseason?  I highly doubt Rhule was the one structuring those contracts and has our cap screwed up this offseason for a team that is possibly going to finish last.  If that gets Fitt fired then I don't consider that "unfair."

The process after that would be interviewing new candidates for the GM and if they give Morgan an interview you think he would turn into because they fired his friend?  That doesn't make sense to me. So Dan Morgan wouldn't continue his career with the franchise that drafted him because the owner fired his friend which very well could be for a good reason?  I'm not buying it.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Twenty plus years of scouting experience doesn't qualify someone to be a GM?

Dan Morgan's only got half of that, and he signed on to the same situation as Fitterer.

In order for your argument to stay consistent, you would have to also judge that Dan Morgan isn't qualified for a GM job either.

Are you willing to make that statement?

Dan Morgan is the only person I would want.  And as soon as he’s ready he needs to be the guy.

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

How is it unfairly?  You are assuming Rhule was the driving force behind some of these bad trades, contracts etc.  We have no idea, but I am sure Tepper knows.  Do we know for sure Rhule wanted Darnold and was the main person that got him extended before the season started?  Was it Rhule that traded away a 3rd for Henderson or signed Thomas and Anderson to those terrible contracts?  Was it Rhule that signed Erving and Elf to dumb contracts right away last offseason?  I highly doubt Rhule was the one structuring those contracts and has our cap screwed up this offseason for a team that is possibly going to finish last.  If that gets Fitt fired then I don't consider that "unfair."

The process after that would be interviewing new candidates for the GM and if they give Morgan an interview you think he would turn into because they fired his friend?  That doesn't make sense to me. So Dan Morgan wouldn't continue his career with the franchise that drafted him because the owner fired his friend which very well could be for a good reason?  I'm not buying it.  

It doesn't matter who did what.

Fitterer had a GM job but didn't have the power. He was also tied to a head coach that he didn't choose. Do you really think other GM candidates are going to look at him being fired under their circumstances and just say 'oh yeah, that's fair"?

As far as Morgan, like I said, he's not working for the Panthers. He's working for David Tepper. If you think he's sentimentally attached to the Panthers organization, then why did he interview for the Steelers GM job?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

As far as Morgan, like I said, he's not working for the Panthers. He's working for David Tepper. If you think he's sentimentally attached to the Panthers organization, then why did he interview for the Steelers GM job?

That all makes good sense and more than likely is closer to reality than I would care to admit.  
After coming so dangerously close to losing our identity as a fan base as well as watching Beane and McD have success it would be another blow to see Dan leave to GM somewhere else.

1 minute ago, L-TownCat said:

That all makes good sense and more than likely is closer to reality than I would care to admit.  
After coming so dangerously close to losing our identity as a fan base as well as watching Beane and McD have success it would be another blow to see Dan leave to GM somewhere else.

I get that, and I get the fan love for players who come back.

I just think people have to be more realistic about it.

2 hours ago, trueblade said:

I don't think that's an accurate statement.

2022 5-7 rounders - all but one made the roster. DE Amaré Barno was cut, but is now on the Dolphins practice squad.

2021 5-7 rounders - all but one made the roster in their rookie year. LS Thomas Fletcher was placed on IR.

Fletcher,  like Hubbard,  was 100% Rhule. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fitterer had a GM job but didn't have the power. He was also tied to a head coach that he didn't choose. Do you really think other GM candidates are going to look at him being fired under their circumstances and just say 'oh yeah, that's fair"?

It absolutely matters who did what.  If he botched what little power he had then why in the world would we give him more???  That's like an assistant coach drawing up terrible plays but still wanting the promotion because it wasn't fair he didn't have full control.  Depending on who we hire he still may not have full control.  That doesn't mean we can't ever fire the guy and we have to give him the job if the next coach gets fired.  

I don't think Morgan is sentimentally attached to the Panther's job.  I think he wouldn't turn down ANY GM promotion job because his friend was fired from the organization especially one that he has some ties to already.  He was going to leave his buddy Fitt to become the GM for the Steelers if they offered it to him because he wants to be a GM.  If they want to start new and interview several candidates for the GM job and the committee, Tepper, or whoever he has sit in on these interview likes Morgan the best then it's his job IMO.  I don't think it will be him or that we will even fire Fitt, but thinking he won't take a job because his friend got let go from the organization was silly.  Especially given how bad we were these past 3 years.  No one's job should be safe fair or not.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Life isn't fair. Should we choose fairness over winning? Not smart.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

It absolutely matters who did what.  If he botched what little power he had then why in the world would we give him more???  That's like an assistant coach drawing up terrible plays but still wanting the promotion because it wasn't fair he didn't have full control.  Depending on who we hire he still may not have full control.  That doesn't mean we can't ever fire the guy and we have to give him the job if the next coach gets fired.  

I don't think Morgan is sentimentally attached to the Panther's job.  I think he wouldn't turn down ANY GM promotion job because his friend was fired from the organization especially one that he has some ties to already.  He was going to leave his buddy Fitt to become the GM for the Steelers if they offered it to him because he wants to be a GM.  If they want to start new and interview several candidates for the GM job and the committee, Tepper, or whoever he has sit in on these interview likes Morgan the best then it's his job IMO.  I don't think it will be him or that we will even fire Fitt, but thinking he won't take a job because his friend got let go from the organization was silly.  Especially given how bad we were these past 3 years.  No one's job should be safe fair or not.

That's way too "all or nothing" an approach.

As far as Morgan and Fitterer, look at their history. Just saying "friends" doesn't really cover it.

But lemme just ask you personally, would you screw over a close friend of both you and your family (one who also helped you get where you are) for a job? If it was someone they loved, how would your family feel about it?

Throw in also though that Morgan has already seen what it's like working for Tepper. All the bullsh-t and dysfunction were reading about, he's seen that and more up close and personal.

Knowing how people around the league view Tepper through a negative lens, what makes you certain Morgan wants more of that at a close family friend's expense?

7 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Life isn't fair. Should we choose fairness over winning? Not smart.

Thinking you can treat people badly and still get the best people to come work for you is even dumber.

Take a look at our OC candidates (including the one we ultimately hired) if you think quality people are busting down the doors to join this organization.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Thinking you can treat people badly and still get the best people to come work for you is even dumber.

Take a look at our OC candidates (including the one we ultimately hired) if you think quality people are busting down the doors to join this organization.

We should of just kept Rhule then, wouldn't want to be unfair. Now no good coaches will want to come here. lol