• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT ARTICLE: The Panthers slide squarely into tank mode

WarPanthers89

15 minutes ago, Scum of the Turf said:

I don’t believe in tanking in the nfl.  Only the nba. 1 player in the draft to be a starter in the nba s 20% of yur starting rotation.  Getting a player in the nfl draft gets u 1/22 starter in the nfl.  It’s more about culture in the nfl.  Winning begats winning , losing begats losing. Tanking in the nfl, especially in wk 7, kills the fans, the players , and the organization .  And makes the owner look worse than he does.  So this better work ! 

I believe in tanking when you are changing EVERYTHING. Which includes the coach. We don’t have a winning culture and that culture won’t be set until AFTER we get the new coach, so it’s actually a perfect time to tank when you won’t have the same leadership there at the end of the year.

4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m actually surprised you’re this upset about cmc being traded with how much you know this is a qb driven league and we need to tank. we can tag burns, he can see after this draft what direction we are going with a new coach and a top QB. Or we can get draft capital from him I don’t even care. This had to happen. The defense knows the offense is complete trash and holding this team back and the FO is doing something about it. I actually applaud them for doing this because the backlash has been severe.

the silver lining here is that this more or less solidifies having the top pick or two in the draft but they were already on pace for that anyways and there were other ways to help solidify that without moving yourself farther way from their ultimate goal as they did with this trade

this team was quite realistically staring down the barrel of having a stroud or young in the backfield alongside mccaffrey, now they’ll have one of them back there with an inferior player they used the 2nd round pick on

this was about scott fitterer trying to get back to net neutral to execute his poor vision of how to manage a football team

Edited by Growl

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m actually surprised you’re this upset about cmc being traded with how much you know this is a qb driven league and we need to tank. we can tag burns, he can see after this draft what direction we are going with a new coach and a top QB. Or we can get draft capital from him I don’t even care. This had to happen. The defense knows the offense is complete trash and holding this team back and the FO is doing something about it. I actually applaud them for doing this because the backlash has been severe.

Yeah, we can tag Burns the following year after next. Landing the number 1 pick and getting a QB is the only way to turn this thing around quick. 

No rookie QB and new HC are winning a SB next year so absorb all the dead cap hits. 

Then 2024 you have a ton of cap. With what we hope will be our franchise QB in year 2. Our offensive line will all still be under contract in 2024 (minus Elflein)

I’d like to see them keep Burns because good teams always need a pass rusher but at the same time if someone offers up 2 1’s I’m shipping him out. One first isn’t enough imo. We won’t get two 1’s so he’ll stay put

• Pie 3

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

Yeah, we can tag Burns the following year after next. Landing the number 1 pick and getting a QB is the only way to turn this thing around quick. 

No rookie QB and new HC are winning a SB next year so absorb all the dead cap hits. 

Then 2024 you have a ton of cap. With what we hope will be our franchise QB in year 2. Our offensive line will all still be under contract in 2024 (minus Elflein)

I’d like to see them keep Burns because good teams always need a pass rusher but at the same time if someone offers up 2 1’s I’m shipping him out. One first isn’t enough imo. We won’t get two 1’s so he’ll stay put

2024 is when we make some significant noise.  Suck it up this year, have the rookie qb/coach make strides in 23 and make your move in 24.

fug yes I am excited all of a sudden

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

2024 is when we make some significant noise.  Suck it up this year, have the rookie qb/coach make strides in 23 and make your move in 24.

fug yes I am excited all of a sudden

I think the guy we should be trying to net a 1st for right now is Derrick Brown

Call the Jets up. They can pair him with Q

1 minute ago, Growl said:

the silver lining here is that this more or less solidifies having the top pick or two in the draft but they were already on pace for that anyways and there were other ways to help solidify that without moving yourself farther way from their ultimate goal as they did with this trade

this team was quite realistically staring down the barrel of having a stroud or young in the backfield alongside mccaffrey, now they’ll have one of them back there with an inferior player they used the 2nd round pick on

this was about scott fitterer trying to get back to net neutral to execute his poor vision of how to manage a football team

You still can’t face the fact that cmc is going to be 27 next year and is injury prone. I’d rather take our chances with two #2’s to draft two playmakers or a center. This is all about protecting and giving the new qb tools. Young tools to grow with. Cmc was never long term. We actually got a good haul for him. #1 priority should be protecting our top pick next year. #2 is providing weapons to grow with him. This isn’t getting fixed next year but this is a step in the right direction imo.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

You still can’t face the fact that cmc is going to be 27 next year and is injury prone. I’d rather take our chances with two #2’s to draft two playmakers or a center. This is all about protecting and giving the new qb tools. Young tools to grow with. Cmc was never long term. We actually got a good haul for him. #1 priority should be protecting our top pick next year. #2 is providing weapons to grow with him. This isn’t getting fixed next year but this is a step in the right direction imo.

I don’t feel like your argument here makes much sense. McCaffery was a pretty valuable tool for a rookie QB. A center is not. The inferior rookie RB they’re now forced to draft may be but not at Mccafferys level. The ole 2nd round wideout sure hasn’t paid dividends for this team since Moose.

maybe if they package both 2’s to go get the notre dame TE I’ll be contented but I’m pretty sure this was just about fitterer chasing his own tail trying to replace everything he’s given up.

Edited by Growl

42 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

People can hate and complain about tanking all they want but the fact of the matter is, getting a top pick puts us in a better position going forward than winning 4 or 5 pointless games. 

Mate there's like 11 fuging games left.

Who wants to watch a team intentionally tank for 11 games?!

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Growl said:

We've traded away two offensive starters from an already terrible offence (one of whom was literally our best player on either side of the ball) - of course we've solidified the #1 pick. 

Just now, OldhamA said:

We've traded away two offensive starters from an already terrible offence (one of whom was literally our best player on either side of the ball) - of course we've solidified the #1 pick. 

you really haven’t been a fan of this team long have you

• Flames 1

I wonder what is going through the mindset of a competent player on the Panthers who may see themselves as being part of the longer term rebuilding process of what they must be thinking for the balance of this season?

I guess they need to perform in a deal for the fact they are paid to do as such but will they try to avoid getting in situations where they could be exposed to injury with no reason for extending an effort this year? 

I see this especially as a concern for linemen in the trenches............................so the question is.

How will the offensive line perform to balance what they are paid to do........verses what they know will be a season of futility while trying to avoid situations that could increase the possibility of injury? 

Imagine Steve Wilks....................how do you prove your worth as a possible HC in a season with a team where you positioned to have the opposite results of the interim opportunity in front of you..................are you being a good soldier at this one and allowing your career to take a hit for a bigger and longer term purpose of the franchise?

I mean what kind of pregame talk does a HC do in this situation? 

Edited by PghPanther