• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FMIA: Tanking shouldn’t be a dirty word

NAS

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Due to tanking lol. They have been building up some good assets from trades like Jamal Adams and cough, cough, Sam Darnold. If Wilson improves they’ll have a really good team. Not sure he can but they’ve got a good team around him.

The Jets were not tanking, they won a late season game which knocked them down to the second pick. Give me a fuging break.

Just lol at anyone trying to justify winning yesterday being a good thing 

All they’re doing by winning a few more meaningless games is positioning themselves to have to trade a ton of trade picks to move up in the draft or sign/trade another Darnold or Baker

If we don’t land our guy in the draft we’ll do this exact same thing next season. It just pushes back our ideal competitive timeline by another year 

9 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

No, 2003 is still my favorite year as a Panther fan, and I was a Jake fan for awhile too. But Jake could not give us consistent play and wasn’t  a true franchise QB. Why try to go that route again if it failed in the end? We can’t just hope for a magical season like that to happen again, and I don’t want just a magical season. I want a 10-15 year window with a guy that THIS TEAM drafted, developed, and built talent around. That is what makes a great team like the Chiefs, Bills, Patriots, and Steelers of recent history.

Jake was a gunslinger and a big time competitor.  He was pretty consistent and 2004 with all those injuries really screwed up a chance for back to back winning seasons. 

I get it, I would love to have a 10-15 year QB but tanking doesn't guarantee it.  What if we draft #1 and he's a bust.  Then we tank again for the #1?  It's a crapshoot.  Maybe we should tank the next 5 years and draft Manning's nephew. 

You do your best every year and do your homework and we'll eventually have that QB.  I'm too lazy to go back and look but Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers, Brady, Brees and others were not the #1 pick.  The GM that does his homework will find that QB. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

All they’re doing by winning a few more meaningless games is positioning themselves to have to trade a ton of trade picks to move up in the draft or sign/trade another Darnold or Baker

If we don’t land our guy in the draft we’ll do this exact same thing next season. It just pushes back our ideal competitive timeline by another year 

You're invited to the locker room to tell the players you've decided it's important for them to lose so we can draft a possible savior in the 2023 draft.  

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Its the nfl, teams like us are going to win a few games.  Thats just the nature of this league.  My frustration with these (mostly) aliases is that they dont acknowledge wtf are we going to do next year at qb if we dont draft someone?  You rolling out pj again?  fug that. You signing some jag off the street?  You trading for someone?   At some point we have to bite the bullet and draft a guy in the first.  Its inevitable.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You're invited to the locker room to tell the players you've decided it's important for them to lose so we can draft a possible savior in the 2023 draft.  

No one expects players to tank, they’re playing for jobs. That’s not how it works. Jesus Christ 

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

No but being shitty is

If you are a shitty team than you will get what you deserve. No one on that team from the front office to the last man on the PS is going to stop trying to get better.  If we lose, then we lose but they are going to keep trying to win.  As fans, we have to take what they give us. 

What gets me is every one of the QBs in this draft are not surefire Franchise QBs.  There isn't a Peyton Manning scream to be the #1 pick.  There will most likely be a QB we would consider if we win a couple of games and miss the #1 pick. 

21 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Jake was a gunslinger and a big time competitor.  He was pretty consistent and 2004 with all those injuries really screwed up a chance for back to back winning seasons. 

I get it, I would love to have a 10-15 year QB but tanking doesn't guarantee it.  What if we draft #1 and he's a bust.  Then we tank again for the #1?  It's a crapshoot.  Maybe we should tank the next 5 years and draft Manning's nephew. 

You do your best every year and do your homework and we'll eventually have that QB.  I'm too lazy to go back and look but Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers, Brady, Brees and others were not the #1 pick.  The GM that does his homework will find that QB. 

To be clear, I’m not advocating to tank year after year, but with the way things have developed this year, the time is now. If it ultimately doesn’t work, I will not be on here suggesting we tank until it works

• Pie 1