• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Carolina Panthers' three seasons of quarterback failure

Vox

2 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

This take on Fields is different than all the others I’ve seen. I don’t watch him play but I just checked his stats. What am I missing?

Well the stats are misleading for two reasons. One he's behind one of the worst OLs in the NFL. It just might be worse than our last year. Yikes I know. Two he definitely wasn't ready day one and OSU doesn't really progress QBs very well for the NFL. See how raw Stroud is if you want to know what I'm saying. Now with that out of the way he's showing glimmers this year. It's not consistent yet but it's there. If the bears invest in a OL that can pass block he will be a force year 4 and 5. If not he's probably going to develop happy feet and be inconsistent. Geno Smith is a perfect example of how a terrible OL and coaching can make a young QB look horrible but a change in venue can correct that. Fields isn't fundamentally flawed in any way. His decision making is on par for his experience and his environment is down right terrible. Sorry I know it's a long winded response but that's the cliff notes on him. 

3 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

This take on Fields is different than all the others I’ve seen. I don’t watch him play but I just checked his stats. What am I missing?

He's not. All of his highlights were a run. They gave him 12 designed run plays. Essentially ran the wildcat with him on every run. He's one dimensional. 

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

YMMV but I don't know that I would call a qb with 55% completion percentage and 5 TD's to 6 INT's a franchise qb just yet. He had a good game monday against the Pats sure, but overall....

Could change but atm I'm not regretting not taking Fields.

He's a second year QB behind a terrible line. Stats aren't everything in the development of a QB. Cam had many years with a comp in the 50s because we never had a great line and he was always under duress. 

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

Yeah I think Rhule would have been really successful if he was given a team he didn't really need to coach. Fields also wouldn't have saved Rhule but neither did Horn. 

Yeah sorry, can't see that at all. Having Fields was not going to somehow make Rhule a better coach. He was always a disaster.

Also from 4MR...

• Pie 1

One other quote from the article indicates that one or two members of the "anti-Herbert faction" were in the scouting department.

Even as Carolina celebrated the win, one scout remembers texting another: "Man, we were right."

There's actually been a fair amount of turnover in the scouting department since that time and following the hire of Scott Fitterer. A few departed with Ron Rivera and others have just been let go or replaced. Also it's previously been reported that Fitterer was given a blank check by Tepper to reshape the personnel department as he wished.

So basically, there's a pretty decent chance that whoever said that doesn't work here anymore.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

I listen to ESPN radio for a part of every day, and the thought is is that this past Monday the first time that he's been allowed to use his legs. It's a strength. I believe they said there were 13 designed run plays called (I think it was 13). Analysts are hoping that it's the beginning of a trend and transition, as not only is Fields an effective runner, but his entire game feeds off of that. 

Just now, top dawg said:

I listen to ESPN radio for a part of every day, and the thought is is that this past Monday the first time that he's been allowed to use his legs. It's a strength. I believe they said there were 13 designed run plays called (I think it was 13). Analysts are hoping that it's the beginning of a trend and transition, as not only is Fields an effective runner, but his entire game feeds off of that. 

Yep.  I believe a knock on him is he has a slightly slower delivery while in the pocket but on the move he can throw darts.  So in Nagys gameplan he didnt let him leave the pocket but wanted him as a pocket passer instead of having him roll out. 

Not sure how good he can be but I know he is not as bad as he has shown

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other quote from the article indicates that one or two members of the "anti-Herbert faction" were in the scouting department.

Even as Carolina celebrated the win, one scout remembers texting another: "Man, we were right."

There's actually been a fair amount of turnover in the scouting department since that time and following the hire of Scott Fitterer. A few departed with Ron Rivera and others have just been let go or replaced. Also it's previously been reported that Fitterer was given a blank check by Tepper to reshape the personnel department as he wished.

So basically, there's a pretty decent chance that whoever said that doesn't work here anymore.

No, Scot, I believe they were in the pro-Herbert camp, and they were lamenting  the fact that we didn't draft Herbert, meaning they were "right" about Herbert.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not sure how good he can be but I know he is not as bad as he has shown

I can buy that.

The idea that he'd have been better off being drafted and coached by Matt Rhule, or the notion that it somehow would have made Rhule a better coach? Not so much.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I can buy that.

The idea that he'd have been better off being drafted and coached by Matt Rhule, or the notion that it somehow would have made Rhule a better coach? Not so much.

I am not sure anyone has said that.  I did say that if he drafted Fields or jones he would have a longer leash and therefor probably still have a job