• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ickey (Again)

Jay Roosevelt

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Inside sources have confirmed that the long snapper pick was pretty much Rhule.

As to Robbie, I still get a pretty good chuckle out of people thinking Fitterer just decided on his own to extend one of Rhule's favorite players.

The fifth year extension though? Reports of confirmed that one falls on Fitterer because he saw it as both a decent gamble and a not terribly expensive one given what the total salary amounted to over two years.

Inside sources make a lot of claims you cling to. Change it to TMJ over Humphrey. 

I love how it’s convenient to pretend Rhule was really deciding final contract numbers. What did Fitt actually do? Samir? Anyone? 

20M for a backup QB isn’t terribly expensive? Of course not. 

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yes it is like I would do at my job.  I don't sign off on anything I don't actually approve, and I raise those concerns to my leadership if needed.  If you want things done right you don't just sign off on bad ideas.

How is that quote moving the goal posts?  What exactly are you talking about? 

I applaud you for doing so and I do the same. I hope it has been like that for you your entire work history. But we don't work in an NFL front office and all jobs are not the same. Jimmy Johnson was a revolutionary drafter, scouter, talent evaluator, and coach but lost his job because of NFL politics. 

I am talking about all of your posts in this thread. Every time you are hit with some truth you bounce off to something else. You literally picked out one excerpt from a lengthy article and say this is it,  all the other explanatory information contained therein is irrelevant. 

In the end it is all moot. We are just saying that Fitts helped build a consistent winner in Seattle. As the article said everything went through Rhule. The guy now has his chance to build with final roster say and his track record before he came here was strong. 

15 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Yes I read it. And wondered how he got credit/blame for 2021 draft and not the 2021 trades and FA and deciding options. We can go with TMJ over Humphrey if it fits better. 

Humphrey would have been nice in hindsight.  But at the time we were rolling with Paradis and had Elflein as a backup.  I think they had their eye on one of the OTs.

Many thought TMJ was a steal - 6'3", 200, 4.40 speed.  I saw lots of mocks of him going in the first.  Getting him at 59 was great value in my opinion.

Of course I have no evidence of this, but I think he was a Fitt draftee that was going to step in for Anderson in year two.  My guess is Rhule went to bat for Robbie and we end up with a ridiculous overpay and TMJ riding the pine.  I really think Fitt had the right idea - but Rhule fuged it up.

But again, I'm not going to defend his first really early moves.  He steps in the building with few resources/assets and is working with a complete dumbass.  I'm sure there were better options than Elf/Erving that everyone always bitches about, but these were cheap and flexible options.  Meanwhile he's tasked with getting rid of Bridgewater because he didn't fit the "brand" and he hurt someone's feelings and finding a QB out of thin air.

We should evaluate his later moves, particularly the ones we know were not Rhule's dumb ideas.

1 minute ago, grimesgoat said:

Humphrey would have been nice in hindsight.  But at the time we were rolling with Paradis and had Elflein as a backup.  I think they had their eye on one of the OTs.

Many thought TMJ was a steal - 6'3", 200, 4.40 speed.  I saw lots of mocks of him going in the first.  Getting him at 59 was great value in my opinion.

Of course I have no evidence of this, but I think he was a Fitt draftee that was going to step in for Anderson in year two.  My guess is Rhule went to bat for Robbie and we end up with a ridiculous overpay and TMJ riding the pine.  I really think Fitt had the right idea - but Rhule fuged it up.

But again, I'm not going to defend his first really early moves.  He steps in the building with few resources/assets and is working with a complete dumbass.  I'm sure there were better options than Elf/Erving that everyone always bitches about, but these were cheap and flexible options.  Meanwhile he's tasked with getting rid of Bridgewater because he didn't fit the "brand" and he hurt someone's feelings and finding a QB out of thin air.

We should evaluate his later moves, particularly the ones we know were not Rhule's dumb ideas.

Fitterer's never really been a pro personnel guy. The overwhelming majority of his experience is as a college scout.

In Seattle, the Seahawks had he and Trent Kirchner as basically co-assistant GMs. Fitterer ran the college scouting department and Kirchner the pro personnel group. They both dabbled in each other's respective areas of expertise but for the most part stayed in their own lanes.

One of the first things Fitterer did after getting settled in here was to bring aboard his old colleague Dan Morgan as assistant GM. Morgan built his resumé as a pro personnel guy, so basically Fitterer recreated the same dynamic he had in Seattle by bringing Morgan aboard.

I see that as a big reason why the free agent acquisitions this year were way better than last year's.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

We are. What date does that start? When Rhule was fired? This year? Last year?

Trading Robbie: 16M for 6 games and a6th and 7th

Trading CMC- good trade

Turming down that Burns package of picks. Horrible beyond belief if that offer is valid. 

What other specific moves? 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

We are. What date does that start? When Rhule was fired? This year? Last year?

Trading Robbie: 16M for 6 games and a6th and 7th

Trading CMC- good trade

Turming down that Burns package of picks. Horrible beyond belief if that offer is valid. 

What other specific moves? 

Dude - I'm done engaging with you.  I provided a list of the last 25 or so moves over the past 12-18 months.  His resume is not perfect, but it looks pretty good to me.  Getting anything for Robbie was a huge win.  Getting a 5th for Daley was nice and unexpected.  Trading CMC was good value.  He's picked up some nice core pieces in the last two drafts that could pay off.  

Is he perfect?  Of course not.  If that Burns trade was legit and he did not pull the trigger, that looks awful.  That was the first time I thought he really screwed up.  We'll  have to wait and see.  But he has done enough to convince me he knows what he is doing and can build something good.

3 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Dude - I'm done engaging with you.  I provided a list of the last 25 or so moves over the past 12-18 months.  His resume is not perfect, but it looks pretty good to me.  Getting anything for Robbie was a huge win.  Getting a 5th for Daley was nice and unexpected.  Trading CMC was good value.  He's picked up some nice core pieces in the last two drafts that could pay off.  

Is he perfect?  Of course not.  If that Burns trade was legit and he did not pull the trigger, that looks awful.  That was the first time I thought he really screwed up.  We'll  have to wait and see.  But he has done enough to convince me he knows what he is doing and can build something good.

Robbie was actually set to be cut. Fitterer managed to swing a trade for him instead.

We would have gotten nothing.

2 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I asked why some things were included and why some weren’t. A legitimate question about what you posted. Now you’re mad. Was there not things omitted from where you started? 

He is part of RAs extension. You don’t get credit for getting worthless picks for a player you gave an extra 16M for 6 games. 

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule had final say, but didn't do any of the draft scouting or evaluation. That was the scouting department under Fitterer.

The only real scouting Rhule did was checking whether they played for him at Temple or Baylor.

Weren't you in another thread posting how Rhule inserted his guys into the scouting process.  Now on this thread Rhule had nothing to with scouting?

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Purely a Rhule move.  The post-draft film even confirmed this.  Rhule looked at Scott and said 'let's take Fletch.'  Apparently they had a bro-mance at the Senior Bowl.

Actually, confidential shows the exact opposite.  Your statement is patently false.

Rhule gives Fit a list of players for the last 2 picks, starting with Hoskins, Fit says lets get Fletcher and he is then asked, are you sure?  Fit says yeah.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1

43 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Actually, confidential shows the exact opposite.  Your statement is patently false.

Rhule gives Fit a list of players for the last 2 picks, starting with Hoskins, Fit says lets get Fletcher and he is then asked, are you sure?  Fit says yeah.

You don't know how the draft works, dude.

For Fletcher to be even be in the conversation required that somebody put him there. Rhule was the guy who did that.