• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Options at LB for 2023

Icege

The LB group was one of the major question marks going into the season, but there are even bigger question marks next season when the team is sure to make Shaq Thompson a cap casualty ($11M in dead cap, but $13M freed up). That leaves the team with Frankie Luvu, Damien Wilson, and Brandon Smith as the only LBs remaining on the roster.

Fortunately, there's a lot of veteran LBs set to be on the market in the offseason. Lavonte David, Kyle Van Noy, Denzel Perryman, Cory Littleton, Kwon Alexander, DEion Jones, Alex Anzalone, Raekwon McMillan, Leighton Vander Esch, and Roquan Smith are all potential free agents. This upcoming draft class is also quite talented at LB as well.

Some of the current prospects of interest include:

• Jack Campbell (Iowa)
  • Ivan Pace Jr (Cincinnati)
  • Henry To'oTo'o (Alabama)
  • Daiyan Henley (Washington State)
  • Drew Sanders (Arkansas)
  • Trenton Simpson (Clemson)
  • Noah Sewell (Oregon)
  • Justin Flowe (Oregon)
  • Owen Pappoe (Auburn)
  • Cedric Gray (UNC)

What are some of your solutions to the potential problem at LB next season?

• Pie 1

I have LB as a top target, looking at round 3.  If we move back and pick up another selection or two, I wouldn't mind double dipping.  We are thin there and it's time for Shaq to move on once his current deal expires.  Dude eats up a ton of cap space for an above average (not elite) LB.

I think we extend Luvu again.  Brandon Smith is a huge question mark.  The rest of the guys are filler-type players, let's be honest here. We save $2.5 against the cap for Wilson in his last year on his deal.  I'm not sure we don't sign/draft another safety and move Chinn down in the box permanently.

Right now for next year we have Shaq, Luvu and Smith with some STs/prctice roster types (anticipating Wilson being a cap casualty).  That's not going to cut it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I have LB as a top target, looking at round 3.  If we move back and pick up another selection or two, I wouldn't mind double dipping.  We are thin there and it's time for Shaq to move on once his current deal expires.  Dude eats up a ton of cap space for an above average (not elite) LB.

I think we extend Luvu again.  Brandon Smith is a huge question mark.  The rest of the guys are filler-type players, let's be honest here. We save $2.5 against the cap for Wilson in his last year on his deal.  I'm not sure we don't sign/draft another safety and move Chinn down in the box permanently.

Right now for next year we have Shaq, Luvu and Smith with some STs/prctice roster types (anticipating Wilson being a cap casualty).  That's not going to cut it. 

There are some really, really solid late day 2, early day 3 LB prospects out there. Some pretty good coverage guys, some good pass rushers, some guys that can definitely make an impact on ST, etc. The money saved from Shaq alone could lead to two decent veteran FAs as well.

I'm excited to see what the LB group morphs into. Will be especially important as well for helping the team run whatever base defense they want to go with that isn't Snow's 3-3-5.

• Beer 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:27 AM, 45catfan said:

I would not be surprised to see Shaw resign at a team friendly deal and also drafting someone. 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:11 PM, Icege said:

The LB group was one of the major question marks going into the season, but there are even bigger question marks next season when the team is sure to make Shaq Thompson a cap casualty ($11M in dead cap, but $13M freed up). That leaves the team with Frankie Luvu, Damien Wilson, and Brandon Smith as the only LBs remaining on the roster.

Fortunately, there's a lot of veteran LBs set to be on the market in the offseason. Lavonte David, Kyle Van Noy, Denzel Perryman, Cory Littleton, Kwon Alexander, DEion Jones, Alex Anzalone, Raekwon McMillan, Leighton Vander Esch, and Roquan Smith are all potential free agents. This upcoming draft class is also quite talented at LB as well.

Some of the current prospects of interest include:

• Jack Campbell (Iowa)
  • Ivan Pace Jr (Cincinnati)
  • Henry To'oTo'o (Alabama)
  • Daiyan Henley (Washington State)
  • Drew Sanders (Arkansas)
  • Trenton Simpson (Clemson)
  • Noah Sewell (Oregon)
  • Justin Flowe (Oregon)
  • Owen Pappoe (Auburn)
  • Cedric Gray (UNC)

What are some of your solutions to the potential problem at LB next season?

nice take man. our linebacker group used to be arguably the best in league. with teams poaching our 2nd string we were so good. now we might be struggling to put a Corp together.  of the guys you mentioned Owen, Trenton and Noah are my favorites.  I would add Nolan Smith to that short list as a possible replacement for Shaq.  unfortunately I can't see us using a premium pick on linebacker with our other needs so we gonna have to get lucky and also hope Brandon Smith makes strides during the off-season. the free agency bunch are talented but some are long in the tooth. Personally Trenton Simpson ( home state  kid) is my fave but he looks like a 1st rounder. believe or not the secondary and DL look closer to completion ( minus another DE and FS) than the linebackers who need a legit MLB of the future and depth. 

• Beer 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:27 AM, 45catfan said:

Need to look at rd 2.

I believe Shaq’s deal gets restructured to keep him around the next 2-3 years. 

Luvu was a great addition and my only wish is we had locked him up longer. 

I think Brandon Smith could be ready to start by next year, but we’re going to have to sign some LB help. Maybe Cole Holcomb or Germaine Pratt return to NC?

In the draft, Dee Winters (TCU) could be a guy to take in the mid rounds. Looking forward to watching him again Monday. 

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, ECHornet said:

I think Brandon Smith could be ready to start by next year, but we’re going to have to sign some LB help. Maybe Cole Holcomb or Germaine Pratt return to NC?

In the draft, Dee Winters (TCU) could be a guy to take in the mid rounds. Looking forward to watching him again Monday. 

If we can restructure Shaq's deal without triggering the pseudo-economists, that'd be amazing. He's the leader of the defense and still produces at a high level, so keeping him and Luvu would do a lot to bring stability to the LB group next season. If the savings allows the team to bring in another veteran starting LB, then we're in business. Draft one of the talented guys in this class, let him and Smith develop while rotating in for playing time, and we might see the type of production from Panthers' LBs that we're used to.

If we can't restructure Shaq, there's still plenty of really good vets in FA this coming offseason. I'm excited for the group's turnaround. Hopefully the DL can get an injection of talent as well.

• Beer 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, Icege said:

If we can restructure Shaq's deal without triggering the pseudo-economists, that'd be amazing. He's the leader of the defense and still produces at a high level, so keeping him and Luvu would do a lot to bring stability to the LB group next season. If the savings allows the team to bring in another veteran starting LB, then we're in business. Draft one of the talented guys in this class, let him and Smith develop while rotating in for playing time, and we might see the type of production from Panthers' LBs that we're used to.

If we can't restructure Shaq, there's still plenty of really good vets in FA this coming offseason. I'm excited for the group's turnaround. Hopefully the DL can get an injection of talent as well.

If you are going to try to sign a vet with the same ability as Shaq  then just restructure to get his contract in line. Players who stay with the team that drafted them usually have ties to the community. It may not seem like much, I know it is a business. However, if I knew a team was being fair with me and I would not have to move my family It would be important to me. 

On 1/6/2023 at 11:57 PM, ECHornet said:

Dee winters is a playmaker but we need a true MLB. Shaq and luvu good on the outside. Noah Sewell had a down year but I’d be interested in him

9 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

Trenton Simpson, Noah Sewell and Tommy Eichenberg are the best fits at MLB.  I like Owen Pappoe and Ivan Pace Jr as more OLB to add to the mix.   I kinda hope we can bring Shaq back if not we need two guys. 

Eichenburg went back to school I thought.  I agree we are so thin at LB realistically we need an ILB and an OLB.