• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So, let's just say......

ladypanther

4 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Reich/Wilks would be a plug and play situation and Frank Reich is with his family HERE in North Carolina at this very moment. He could be in the stadium within a hour or two if called. He knows the facility Charlotte was/is home. Same for Wilks.

Pending how Wilks does the rest of the year.... this could be a 1a/1b combo for the staff next year. Totally hypothetical. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

In my opinion, your conclusion is flawed.

The first two days of the draft are based on talent and need.  If a team doesn't need a quarterback, they will not draft him in the first 3 rounds, despite his talent.  You simply can't say, for example, that GB, KC, Baltimore, SD, etc. all thought he was a third round talent.  They didn't pass on him because they thought he was a third round talent, they simply didn't need another QB. 

Isn’t all the super QB needy teams passing till the third more telling the ones that NEEDED one? 

34 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Isn’t all the super QB needy teams passing till the third more telling the ones that NEEDED one? 

I just think assuming he's a bust because he was not a first rounder seems premature.

Other than Pickett, I think the consensus among prognosticators was that all better QBs - Ridder, Willis, Corral, Howell - were going to need a redshirt year and would probably be late first or second rounders.

You can remind me which teams were "super needy".  I recall Pittsburgh, Carolina, Houston, and Seattle were all assumed to need QBs.  Detroit (Goff), New Orleans (Winston), Atlanta (Marriota), and Washington (Wentz) were sort of on the needy list at one time but certainly not desperate and could be patient.  Why would any team consider a late round 1 or round 2 talent at QB if their franchise guy was already there.  Much bigger needs.

So Pittsburgh took a QB in round 1.  Atlanta used their 3rd on Ridder (a project), the Titans surprised by going Willis in the 3rd despite having Tannehill, and we moved ahead of Detroit at 97 to grab Corral at 94.

The only surprise to me was Seattle and Houston passing multiple times on QBs. I guess a case can be made there, but still weak.

Bottom line - I think most teams did not need a QB or were not comfortable with giving a development year for this group. I think we were extraordinary lucky to get a guy with the potential of Corral late on the second day.  I view him as a second round talent that slipped a little for non-football reasons, and could be really special with some seasoning and coaching.  

12 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I just think assuming he's a bust because he was not a first rounder seems premature.

Other than Pickett, I think the consensus among prognosticators was that all better QBs - Ridder, Willis, Corral, Howell - were going to need a redshirt year and would probably be late first or second rounders.

You can remind me which teams were "super needy".  I recall Pittsburgh, Carolina, Houston, and Seattle were all assumed to need QBs.  Detroit (Goff), New Orleans (Winston), Atlanta (Marriota), and Washington (Wentz) were sort of on the needy list at one time but certainly not desperate and could be patient.  Why would any team consider a late round 1 or round 2 talent at QB if their franchise guy was already there.  Much bigger needs.

So Pittsburgh took a QB in round 1.  Atlanta used their 3rd on Ridder (a project), the Titans surprised by going Willis in the 3rd despite having Tannehill, and we moved ahead of Detroit at 97 to grab Corral at 94.

The only surprise to me was Seattle and Houston passing multiple times on QBs. I guess a case can be made there, but still weak.

Bottom line - I think most teams did not need a QB or were not comfortable with giving a development year for this group. I think we were extraordinary lucky to get a guy with the potential of Corral late on the second day.  I view him as a second round talent that slipped a little for non-football reasons, and could be really special with some seasoning and coaching.  

I don’t think he’s a bust I’m just against people thinking he’s more of a sure thing than history tells us. Don’t get me wrong I would love for him to be our future he’s just gonna have to be an outlier to do so

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1