• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks Likely to Be 'Seriously Considered' for Panthers Full-Time HC

Vox

The full  article by Ellis Williams that Bleacher Report is quoting can be read here:

Support to retain Steve Wilks is growing

Excerpts...

Five games through his 12-contest tryout, Wilks has impressed Panthers leadership enough that he is expected to be seriously considered for the full-time job after the season, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation. 

The Panthers (3-7) are 2-3 under Wilks, with both wins coming against the NFC South. Behind a punishing offensive line, the team reestablished its run-first identity. Carolina is averaging 159.5 rushing yards per game over the past four weeks. Most importantly, morale in the building is up.

There is a sense the Panthers are already laying the foundation for next season with Wilks rather than enduring a lame-duck interim. If Wilks is not chosen as Carolina’s next coach it is possible the team would prioritize keeping him on staff, per multiple league sources. 

Forecasting what an NFL owner will do when it’s time to name a head coach is difficult, as Colts owner Jim Irsay proved last week by naming Jeff Saturday the team’s interim head coach.

But Panthers owner David Tepper is expected to make a traditional hire. Wilks checks a lot of the head-coaching boxes Tepper seeks. He’s a firm leader who commands the team like a CEO. According to a league source, Wilks is a strong communicator internally with players, coaches and the front office, and he handles the media well.

Couple things...

Players are gonna support Wilks. Truthfully, a lot of interim coaches get player support but it doesn't necessarily translate.

The bolded part above makes a lot of sense..as long as the team gets buy in from a new hire and doesn't try to force it.

I get Williams point, but I don't know that I'd use Irsay as an example of what any other NFL owner might do.

What I don't get though is what he means in this context by "traditional hire". Does Williams think he might be moving away from the "young offensive mind" thing?

(lotta people on here are likely to go apesh-t if he does)

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The full  article by Ellis Williams that Bleacher Report is quoting can be read here:

Excerpts...

Five games through his 12-contest tryout, Wilks has impressed Panthers leadership enough that he is expected to be seriously considered for the full-time job after the season, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation. 

The Panthers (3-7) are 2-3 under Wilks, with both wins coming against the NFC South. Behind a punishing offensive line, the team reestablished its run-first identity. Carolina is averaging 159.5 rushing yards per game over the past four weeks. Most importantly, morale in the building is up.

There is a sense the Panthers are already laying the foundation for next season with Wilks rather than enduring a lame-duck interim. If Wilks is not chosen as Carolina’s next coach it is possible the team would prioritize keeping him on staff, per multiple league sources. 

Forecasting what an NFL owner will do when it’s time to name a head coach is difficult, as Colts owner Jim Irsay proved last week by naming Jeff Saturday the team’s interim head coach.

But Panthers owner David Tepper is expected to make a traditional hire. Wilks checks a lot of the head-coaching boxes Tepper seeks. He’s a firm leader who commands the team like a CEO. According to a league source, Wilks is a strong communicator internally with players, coaches and the front office, and he handles the media well.

Couple things...

Players are gonna support Wilks. Truthfully, a lot of interim coaches get player support but it doesn't necessarily translate.

The bolded part above makes a lot of sense..as long as the team gets buy in from a new hire and doesn't try to force it.

I get Williams point, but I don't know that I'd use Irsay as an example of what any other NFL owner might do.

What I don't get though is what he means in this context by "traditional hire". Does Williams think he might be moving away from the "young offensive mind" thing?

1650058912399.thumb.jpg.49c2905a1d5f92398c6f5c8c5982b174.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Excerpts...

Couple things...

Traditional probably means he's not going hire another college coach. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Not a fan of the idea.

I like getting a young offensive minded guru.

If any new oc has success here (assuming we draft a qb) he will be good as gone.

Getting an offensive minded guru hc alleviates the possibility of our oc leaving because he created positive change with a rookie qb. 

Of course this is all under the assumption our oc finds success with a new qb and Wilks gets the full time gig