• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Wilks Wagon

Zod

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

And that wasn’t Wilk’s choice after they missed on Allen? They needed a QB. The next one drafted was Lamar at 32. I don’t really think he gets a pass on that either. 

He's stated he didn't want Rosen. Who else he might have wanted, unknown.

Bottom line for me: I don't know if Steve Wilks will be a great head coach. I'm not set on giving him another year. I'll give that another look when the season is over.

Two things I do know? Steve Keim is a sh-tty GM, and Michael Bidwill is just as sh-tty an owner as his dad was.

And yeah, I think the Cardinals failed to give Wilks a fair shot. Is that because they were racist? I don't know, but as mentioned they're lousy at football.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's stated he didn't want Rosen. Who else he might have wanted, unknown.

Bottom line for me: I don't know if Steve Wilks will be a great head coach. I'm not set on giving him another year. I'll give that another look when the season is over.

Two things I do know? Steve Keim is a sh-tty GM, and Michael Bidwill is just as sh-tty an owner as his dad was.

And yeah, I think the Cardinals failed to give Wilks a fair shot. Is that because they were racist? I don't know, but as mentioned they're lousy at football.

From what I read it states he “wanted to trade up for Josh Allen, not Rosen.” That doesn’t mean he didn’t want Rosen at all, just that he preferred Allen. He did state the GM drafted Rosen, but that doesn’t mean he was against it. He also benched Rosen for Bradford who looked just as bad in his team’s offense, and benched Bradford for Glennon who also looked bad. He also fired his OC McCoy and the offense still looked bad (with Fitzgerald, Kirk, and David Johnson). When I say bad I mean one of the top 3 worst offenses in the NFL since 1986 bad…

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/12/31/18162453/arizona-cardinals-fire-steve-wilks-josh-rosen

The bad thing is he was just recently the DC for Missouri whose defense looked better this year without him…

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

From what I read it states he “wanted to trade up for Josh Allen, not Rosen.” That doesn’t mean he didn’t want Rosen at all, just that he preferred Allen. He did state the GM drafted Rosen, but that doesn’t mean he was against it.

Going back to the article, Wilks described himself in the lawsuit as “stuck with an unready rookie quarterback drafted by [Keim] contrary to Mr. Wilks’ suggestion.”

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

From what I read it states he “wanted to trade up for Josh Allen, not Rosen.” That doesn’t mean he didn’t want Rosen at all, just that he preferred Allen. He did state the GM drafted Rosen, but that doesn’t mean he was against it. 

He didn't want Rosen at all. He wanted Allen.

54 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You gotta coach with what you got and he showed very little in Arizona. I believe he should have got at least one more year to show what he could do with Kyler but we will never know. And all he’s shown here is we’re competing with the miserable sides like us but being fingered by the better sides. I honestly don’t think Rhule doesn’t win the games that Wilks has here 

3 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

You gotta coach with what you got and he showed very little in Arizona. I believe he should have got at least one more year to show what he could do with Kyler but we will never know. And all he’s shown here is we’re competing with the miserable sides like us but being fingered by the better sides. I honestly don’t think Rhule doesn’t win the games that Wilks has here 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Going back to the article, Wilks described himself in the lawsuit as “stuck with an unready rookie quarterback drafted by [Keim] contrary to Mr. Wilks’ suggestion.”

Because Allen was “ready?” Most rookies aren’t ready year 1. He had Bradford as the vet backup.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

Allen was drafted before him so it doesn’t matter. I’m sure Rhule would have loved Burrow, Hurney wanted Herbert. He claims he wanted to trade up for a project QB like Allen and was mad Rosen wasn’t ready. Allen’s first year was pretty bad and that’s with a great staff and OC. Imagine him in Arizona with McCoy who was fired midseason. 

There's a lot a smart man can learn from being in a situation like Wilks was in Arizona. If you wanted an abject lesson in how NOT to run an organization, the Cardinals have produced volumes worth of examples.

Right now, I'm still not completely sold on Wilks staying on as HC here. I do, however, view his experience at Arizona as a plus in growing the man's understanding of the game and team building. He certainly seems like a more experienced and sturdy coach than he was before. Some of the greatest coaches in the game had a lousy first outing as a head coach. Bill Belichick's Browns certainly come to mind.

Still, let's see how this season plays out. And it doesn't have to be just about wins, although that would be nice. I need to keep seeing a team out there that looks like it knows what it is doing and is motivated and aggressive. You know, the exact opposite of the Rhule-led team.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

If the GM would have drafted Jimmy Clausen, would you have blemed the coaches for him not becoming a superstar?

Didn't Keim pick most if Wilks staff before he even was hired? The Rosen pick not having any say, like zero input? It's almost like Wilks made a terrible decision to take a job where he would never succeed and not being able to conceptually understand that fact...

56 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Didn't Keim pick most if Wilks staff before he even was hired? The Rosen pick not having any say, like zero input? It's almost like Wilks made a terrible decision to take a job where he would never succeed and not being able to conceptually understand that fact...

Forced Mike McCoy on him per reports.

Wilks eventually fired him but the damage was done.