• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Wilks needs to do to win the Job?

Doc Holiday

I would say plus 500 and a playoff appearance. Then again it's really hard to say because if you take McAdoo away or anything else are we the same team? Are we willing to resign Darnald? Are we really ready for all that and pass on others? Tough call if you ask me. 

All we've done is run the ball up the gut a million times and play very good defense, which we were already doing before Wilks anyway.  But the decision making is still very conservative and Seattle is the only "good" team we've beaten during this stretch (and Seattle fields one of the worst defenses in the NFL).

I get it.  This team looks better than it did under Rhule.  But I still haven't seen that moment where I'm like, "damn... Wilks should be handed the HC job."  I think people are getting too caught up on the "improvement" and not paying attention to the details.  Because this is still a bad team that looks bad.  

• Pie 3

And too many people are acting like it would be unprecedented for a team to move on from a HC even though they took them to the playoffs.  Titans moved on from Mike Mularkey after a playoffs run.  Why?  Because they focused on the details and not just the end result.

I absolutely think Wilks has earned a serious interview.  But he should not be handed anything.  If we interview someone that we think is a better candidate, then I hope Tepper makes that call.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

And too many people are acting like it would be unprecedented for a team to move on from a HC even though they took them to the playoffs.  Titans moved on from Mike Mularkey after a playoffs run.  Why?  Because they focused on the details and not just the end result.

I absolutely think Wilks has earned a serious interview.  But he should not be handed anything.  If we interview someone that we think is a better candidate, then I hope Tepper makes that call.

The Titans just fired their GM and are just winning their division by default this year. They are not a great example my dude. I think if you hire Wilks you have to hire McAdoo because he's taken a lesser unit and made them win. I agree he shouldn't win by default because better coaches could make this current team a playoff team on a consistent basis. Still it would be a moral blow to the players to can a coaching staff they played so hard for. 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

I think if you hire Wilks you have to hire McAdoo because he's taken a lesser unit and made them win. 

Lol see this is an example of paying more attention to the end result and not the details.

If the Panthers retained McAdoo all because he's run the ball up the middle and ran the same play where Shenault goes in motion like 10 times a game, then this team is hopeless.

Also the Panthers have averaged 20 PPG since Wilks took over.  That is 24th in the league.  And the 2 games we scored 30+ were against the 22nd ranked defense (Falcons) and 30th ranked defense (Seahawks).  The offense is still trash.  I don't know how anyone could possibly with a straight face think otherwise.  We've only passed for more than 200 yards once since Wilks took over.  

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

Lol see this is an example of paying more attention to the end result and not the details.

If the Panthers retained McAdoo all because he's run the ball up the middle and ran the same play where Shenault goes in motion like 10 times a game, then this team is hopeless.

Also the Panthers have averaged 20 PPG since Wilks took over.  That is 24th in the league.  And the 2 games we scored 30+ were against the 22nd ranked defense (Falcons) and 30th ranked defense (Seahawks).  The offense is still trash.  I don't know how anyone could possibly with a straight face think otherwise.  We've only passed for more than 200 yards once since Wilks took over.  

It's winning us ball games so you can't hate the system. I mean are we the Chiefs or Bills hell no but we are playing to our strengths and that's defense. Seattle wasn't a pushover team especially in Seattle and we are a team that has lost its HC, DC, star HB and are still winning. Cherry pick stats all you want but winning is all that matters and if they pull off a playoff run that's going to be hard to ignore. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

It's winning us ball games so you can't hate the system. I mean are we the Chiefs or Bills hell no but we are playing to our strengths and that's defense. Seattle wasn't a pushover team especially in Seattle and we are a team that has lost its HC, DC, star HB and are still winning. Cherry pick stats all you want but winning is all that matters and if they pull off a playoff run that's going to be hard to ignore. 

No man. The true winners are teams that pass the ball 50+ times and get a shitload of scoreless yards. That’s how winning works. 

PASS ATTEMPTS + YARDS = WINS

/s

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

• The D 1

We have folks saying he's gotta win 2 in the playoffs with this roster? So NFC champ game to get the gig. Damn tough crowd with that sky high bar to clear. Yall probably would have fired parcels or billy b early too, damn.

He gets this team into the playoffs from where it was, he gets a fair shot. Let's see how he does in time management and adjustments at least on D in game. Cause that atleast is his roots. If we see a D that adjusts during a half and at halftime, he's got a real good shot. Now the week BS at end of half and up 2 scores, that I'd like to see that be gone forever here like the ravens and blitzburg of old. 

Expecting him to make something from the QB situation and poo start rhule left him in is a giant ass hole and fight without a key element. Cause that be a miracle So if he can get us through after all that and at home for a playoff game, he should be the favorite barring a bad interview and a big time interview by a big time HC.

14 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

No man. The true winners are teams that pass the ball 50+ times and get a shitload of scoreless yards. That’s how winning works. 

PASS ATTEMPTS + YARDS = WINS

/s

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Literally nobody is saying that.  But again, if you seriously think this is a sustainable method of winning vs quality teams, then I have a bridge to sell you.

There is a reason this offense has folded against any semi-decent defense it has played, but continue to tell me how I'm wrong.  Blame it on whatever you want but the fact is 24th in the league in PPG is not good.  If you think it is, then there is nothing more to discuss.  How many teams can you name with a winning record in the last 3 years that finished 24th or worse in scoring, which is where the Panthers rank since Wilks took over?  

It ain't about running the ball.  It ain't about passing the ball (but you absolutely have to do better than 200 yards per game).  It is about putting up points, which we don't do very well.  But prove me wrong if you disagree.  Name me some winning teams that finished 24th or worse. 

Titans are 27th this year, but they also have a -35 point differential (terrible, just like the Panthers -30) and have feasted on a god awful AFC South (jeez... who does that remind you of?)

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1

It is ultimately a .500 run with wins against the Bucs (bad), Falcons (bad), Broncos (VERY bad), and the Seahawks (average with a league-worst defense).  

And maybe I'm being too harsh.  I apologize if I am.  I just haven't seen what I'm supposed to be impressed with.  We're an extremely conservative offense playing good defense.  What has changed, except we've went on a run against bad teams while being in a bad division?  Where was this running game a few weeks ago when we played the Ravens?  We held them to 13 points but only managed 36 rushing yards.  We could have benched Baker long before the 4th that game, but we chose not to.  What happened to the running game when we played the Bengals?  Those are the 2 best teams we've played and look what they did to us and our offense.

AND TO CLARIFY, don't get me wrong, I am super stoked for a chance to make the playoffs. I'd love nothing more at this point.  But when it comes to Wilks' future with this team, I just think we should temper expectations. 

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 2

The complete shift in team effort can't be ignored. If there is a slam dunk great offensive mind we can hire in the offseason, we have to hire them. If not, if Wilks will take a ~2 year contract, I'd be ok with that while we try to find our QB of the future.

Regardless if Wilks is our coach or not, we have to keep him in some role. The team clearly loves him and plays their hearts out for him.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mage said:

All we've done is run the ball up the gut a million times and play very good defense, which we were already doing before Wilks anyway.  But the decision making is still very conservative and Seattle is the only "good" team we've beaten during this stretch (and Seattle fields one of the worst defenses in the NFL).

I get it.  This team looks better than it did under Rhule.  But I still haven't seen that moment where I'm like, "damn... Wilks should be handed the HC job."  I think people are getting too caught up on the "improvement" and not paying attention to the details.  Because this is still a bad team that looks bad.  

I get what you are saying. But if Fhule was coaching our team against the Ravens, we probably lose like 35-3.