• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alternative options for head coach

Mr. Scot

I would like for the Panthers to retain Steve Wilks as head coach but if they don't, Ken Dorsey, Buffalo Bills first-year offensive coordinator would be my choice. Plus, Tepper is offensive minded so this hiring might suit him also.

Ken Dorsey is doing an excellent job with Josh Allen and company so far, Miami Dolphins loss and post-game temper tantrum notwithstanding.

He’s also young, has a relatively well-known name (especially in the South) from his time as QB of the Miami Hurricanes, and was with the Panthers for six seasons, including for Cam Newton’s MVP season and the team’s last Super Bowl appearance.

Edited by KatsAzz

6 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

I would like for the Panthers to retain Steve Wilks as head coach but if they don't, Ken Dorsey, Buffalo Bills first-year offensive coordinator would be my choice. Plus, Tepper is offensive minded so this hiring might suit him also.

Ken Dorsey is doing an excellent job with Josh Allen and company so far, Miami Dolphins loss and post-game temper tantrum notwithstanding.

He’s also young, has a relatively well-known name (especially in the South) from his time as QB of the Miami Hurricanes, and was with the Panthers for six seasons, including for Cam Newton’s MVP season and the team’s last Super Bowl appearance.

High risk that Dorsey is just running what Daboll created and riding Allen's coattails. It's also somewhat concerning that Allen's passing yardage has been trending down the past three weeks.

• Pie 2

So it seems lots of folks are on the steichen bandwagon but really what has he done? No head coach experience at any level and he has only been a coordinator  since 2019. He was with the Rams for a year and apparently not retained and if my timeline is correct he left before they won the Superbowl. So other than Philly what has he done?? Question is whether  his system is so great or is it he has a great QB much like Shula had Cam. He might be great but do we want to hire another unproven guy with little experience hoping for another Sean McVay or someone with proven ability to be a head coach. For me I am tired of picking guys with no head coaching experience and developing them while they learn on the job.

Edited by panthers55
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, trueblade said:

High risk that Dorsey is just running what Daboll created and riding Allen's coattails. It's also somewhat concerning that Allen's passing yardage has been trending down the past three weeks.

Plus much of Buffalo's success seems to be Allen doing it himself making ridiculous plays. The offensive system doesn't appear much better than a lot of other systems. And Dorsey has no head coach experience at all and has been a coordinator for one year. Another unproven guy with little to no experience. Versus Wilks who has proven he could take a losing team that dumped their best talent and turn them into a competitive team shuffling QBs every week.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

So it seems lots of folks are on the steichen bandwagon but really what has he done? No head coach experience at any level and he has only been a coordinator  since 2019. He was with the Rams for a year and apparently not retained and if my timeline is correct he left before they won the Superbowl. So other than Philly what has he done?? Question is whether  his system is so great or is it he has a great QB much like Shula had Cam. He might be great but do we want to hire another unproven guy with little experience hoping for another Sean McVay or someone with proven ability to be a head coach. For me I am tired of picking guys with no head coaching experience and developing them while they learn on the job.

OC with Herbert (Chargers) and Hurts. Both considered talented but raw prospects who have excelled.   

He was never with the Rams.   Been in the NFL for 11 years. QB coach for 4 years, OC for 3.5 years.   Quality control assistant for ~4 years. 

He's my number 1 candidate.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

You sure you've got the right guy? Steichen worked his way up in the Chargers org over the period of a 7 year run, eventually becoming their OC and was super talked up how he worked with Herbert.  Then Siriano took him to Philly to help build the offense.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

you serious clark?

• Flames 1

23 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

So we've asked a generic question about Wilks versus whomever this morning, but I think it would be helpful to better define the "whomever".

If not Wilks, then who do we see as viable alternative candidates?

A couple of names I would start out with...

- Shane Steichen
- Frank Reich 
- Ben Johnson
- Shane Waldron
- Demeco Ryans 

(not necessarily all my preferred choices but viable options nonetheless)

What are the arguments for choosing one of these guys...or someone else?

Would love Frank Reich

I'm liking Steve Wilks more and more each week.  I'm not Pro or Against him being the Panthers next head coach.  

He's part of the lawsuit against the NFL suing the NFL for racial discrimination ..    We know the NFL owners will ban together to do what ever they want to do  ( not hiring colin kaeperinick  etc ) .   

So will the other owners try to have input  with Tepper to keep him from hiring him full time ? Will Tepper tell them to bugger off..  Will Tepper hold a grudge against those suing him ? 

Currently ,  because of the Rooney Rule, Tepper can not give Wilks to HC ( instead of interim HC ) job till have the season. 

Personally, I think if Tepper likes him and the job he's doing, he'll hire him and tell the other NFL owners  to stay out of his business 

2 hours ago, jamos14 said:

OC with Herbert (Chargers) and Hurts. Both considered talented but raw prospects who have excelled.   

He was never with the Rams.   Been in the NFL for 11 years. QB coach for 4 years, OC for 3.5 years.   Quality control assistant for ~4 years. 

He's my number 1 candidate.

How much head coach experience at any level. Not important??

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

You sure you've got the right guy? Steichen worked his way up in the Chargers org over the period of a 7 year run, eventually becoming their OC and was super talked up how he worked with Herbert.  Then Siriano took him to Philly to help build the offense.

So he is a great coordinator or quarterback coach. Why does that make a qualified head coach??