• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brock Purdy

NAS

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

He is in the perfect spot for a rookie QB. Strong team, coaching that can maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses. Not discounting him, he seems to have an intangible that others may not. These last few weeks will be interesting as teams figure out the scheme with him in.

This. Good for him playing well so far. But people are getting a little carried away acting like he's their definitive long-term answer. If he continues to play well down the stretch and into the playoffs then it'll be time to ponder such possibilities.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

49 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

The fact they don't say he's a bust. He could still end up a backup for sure or, long shot starter, based on that quote...

Corral has a VERY hard road to climb to be starter but it'll be possible for him to at least make #2 if not more if he's half as good as some of our posters believe.  I can't judge since he has the tools but hasn't shown he can use them effectively yet in the NFL (and yes I understand why).

Corral is a later round QB, that's hard even without injuries or shitty coaches or coaching changes...

We traded away a valuable 3rd round to pick a QB that ceiling is a backup? 

1st rounds are starters, 2nd and 3rd round are players that should be starters in a year or so.  We traded away a pick to get him to be a backup?  It would be tough to believe he wouldn't be groomed for a starter if we used our own pick but we felt he has a future and traded away a pick for him.  

I think most underestimate his potential. 

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

1st rounds are starters, 2nd and 3rd round are players that should be starters in a year or so.  We traded away a pick to get him to be a backup?  It would be tough to believe he wouldn't be groomed for a starter if we used our own pick but we felt he has a future and traded away a pick for him.  

It's skewed greatly for QBs because they are such a premium position.  Most 3rd round QBs aren't expected to be starters.  They are typically backups or projects teams are rolling the dice on.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's skewed greatly for QBs because they are such a premium position.  Most 3rd round QBs aren't expected to be starters.  They are typically backups or projects teams are rolling the dice on.

I can partially agree with this but we traded away a pick to get him.  It isn't like we used our own pick to get him.  I think we saw more in him that just a backup. 

Time will tell. 

14 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Nobody said backup was his ceiling. We said backup is a success for a 3rd round QB.  Ceiling for any rookie is usually very high.  But the floor is very low.

He wasn't groomed as a starter last year and he won't be next year. He'll get a shot in camp, but hell, teams use back to back first rounders on QBs in rare circumstances, they won't blink at using another draft pick after a 3rd rounder.

Not to say we didn't believe he had (has) potential - but this is gonna be a new regime or a coach that can't go into the season with this QB room...

Edited by mav1234
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I can partially agree with this but we traded away a pick to get him.  It isn't like we used our own pick to get him.  I think we saw more in him that just a backup. 

Time will tell. 

We traded away a future third which is viewed as what a 4th?  It's not like we traded away a first for him.  Plus our new HC had nothing to do with that trade so it's a little irrelevant.... 

• Pie 1
  • The D 1
  • Poo 1

12 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Not to say we didn't believe he had (has) potential - but this is gonna be a new regime or a coach that can't go into the season with this QB room...

I love that everyone assumes that the new HC, if we don't keep Wilks, is automatically going to think that any of these QBs in this draft are leaps and bounds better than Corral.  They may be or they may not.  Every one of them have their question marks.   I do agree the room will look different but it may be Corral and a free agent and either Darnold or a rookie. 

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We traded away a future third which is viewed as what a 4th?  It's not like we traded away a first for him.  Plus our new HC had nothing to do with that trade so it's a little irrelevant.... 

Not normally.  We actually got a good deal on that because normally when you trade for a pick with a next year pick you have to give up a higher round.   Hate to tell you this but the new head coach will be working with the GM that selected him so it isn't irrelevant.

Edited by DaveThePanther2008

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I love that everyone assumes that the new HC, if we don't keep Wilks, is automatically going to think that any of these QBs in this draft are leaps and bounds better than Corral.  They may be or they may not.  Every one of them have their question marks.  

Not normally.  We actually got a good deal on that because normally when you trade for a pick with a next year pick you have to give up a higher round.   Hate to tell you this but the new head coach will be working with the GM that selected him so it isn't irrelevant.

So you are assuming Fitt made the trade for Corral and not Rhule?  That's fine.  Are they going to push this 3rd round IRed rookie on the new HC or let him pick his own guy?  I mean logically which one do you REALLY think we are going to do when trying to lure a HC here or trying to extend Wilks.  Wilks for example is still pissed Arizona forced Rosen on him instead of Allen who he wanted and Rosen was a 1st round pick...

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

5 hours ago, NAS said:

What’s with the poo reactions, just saying for a 7th rounder he has done more than most first rounders.  He is more reliable, accurate and poised than Darnold or Walker.  

I made a similar thread and got poo'd on too, it's all good. Anyone poo reacting is secretly upset that a good QB can be had with the last pick of the draft. Anyone poo reacting is pissed off that we're in the playoff / division title hunt. They want to lose, because they have a lose mentality in life and want to be handed things like the top pick in the draft so they can draft a name they recognize.

while obviously, they wouldn't have thrown a rookie into that package - they did give us several picks. what we do with those picks and how we develop those players is on us. SF is just a lot better at that at the moment.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

10 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I love that everyone assumes that the new HC, if we don't keep Wilks, is automatically going to think that any of these QBs in this draft are leaps and bounds better than Corral.  They may be or they may not.  Every one of them have their question marks.   I do agree the room will look different but it may be Corral and a free agent and either Darnold or a rookie. 

It's very possible we don't draft a QB, but if we do not, we are probably going to bring in a veteran bridge QB (honestly likely regardless).

Trading up doesn't really factor in as much as lack of productivity in the previous preseason and his injury IMO in terms of factors contributing to how the team views him next year. He will be here, but it won't change any moves they make at QB either way.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

So you are assuming Fitt made the trade for Corral and not Rhule?  That's fine.  Are they going to push this 3rd round IRed rookie on the new HC or let him pick his own guy?  I mean logically which one do you REALLY think we are going to do when trying to lure a HC here or trying to extend Wilks.  Wilks for example is still pissed Arizona forced Rosen on him instead of Allen who he wanted and Rosen was a 1st round pick...

First you assume we are getting a new head coach.  Secondly, you assume that your head coach, new or Wilks, don't like Corral.  You over valued the IR'd situation.  Based on this logic SF will be moving on from Lance because he got IR'd and didn't look good in his starts.

You're new coach may value a great TE or wants another edge rusher to improve an already good defense.  You assume that the new HC won't bring a QB with him.  You're all assumption.

I don't know what a new coach, if we go that route, will want in the upcoming draft.  It could be a QB or it may be something else.  They may think that Corral has some qualities they can work with.  You nor I know for sure.  You just assume that the new coach is automatically only going to focused on QB.   

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

First you assume we are getting a new head coach.  Secondly, you assume that your head coach, new or Wilks, don't like Corral.  You over valued the IR'd situation.  Based on this logic SF will be moving on from Lance because he got IR'd and didn't look good in his starts.

You're new coach may value a great TE or wants another edge rusher to improve an already good defense.  You assume that the new HC won't bring a QB with him.  You're all assumption.

I don't know what a new coach, if we go that route, will want in the upcoming draft.  It could be a QB or it may be something else.  They may think that Corral has some qualities they can work with.  You nor I know for sure.  You just assume that the new coach is automatically only going to focused on QB.   

I definitely included Wilks staying as an option.  Even pointed out how he was pissed his last team didn't draft the QB he wanted.  He clearly wants to pick out his QB after getting screwed by Arizona.  If you think a new HC values anything over a QB then you are mistaken.  QB is the most important position in sports and it's not close.  We have been needing one since Cam left.  The IR situation is bad for Corral because it never allowed him to prove himself to our franchise.  If he came in this year and played well or showed promise we would be having a much different conversation...

Your point was Fitt picked Corral (which you made an assumption) and therefore Corral could be our guy going forward.  That would imply the GM forcing his pick on whoever the HC is (Wilks or new HC).  That's definitely not a attractive look for a franchise....  Also if a new HC brings HIS QB with him that is just as bad for Corral as us drafting one.  

I have nothing against Corral, but he is the victim of some unfortunate circumstances right now.  Maybe he will be the guy going forward, but odds are it's probably someone else.  Either a newly signed QB or newly drafted one.  

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I definitely included Wilks staying as an option.  Even pointed out how he was pissed his last team didn't draft the QB he wanted.  He clearly wants to pick out his QB after getting screwed by Arizona.  If you think a new HC values anything over a QB then you are mistaken.  QB is the most important position in sports and it's not close.  We have been needing one since Cam left.  The IR situation is bad for Corral because it never allowed him to prove himself to our franchise.  If he came in this year and played well or showed promise we would be having a much different conversation...

Your point was Fitt picked Corral (which you made an assumption) and therefore Corral could be our guy going forward.  That would imply the GM forcing his pick on whoever the HC is (Wilks or new HC).  That's definitely not a attractive look for a franchise....  Also if a new HC brings HIS QB with him that is just as bad for Corral as us drafting one.  

I have nothing against Corral, but he is the victim of some unfortunate circumstances right now.  Maybe he will be the guy going forward, but odds are it's probably someone else.  Either a newly signed QB or newly drafted one.  

Wilks has first hand knowledge of Corral. He's never said one thing one way or the other.  As we drop further down the draft board the likelihood of getting a QB that is going to be considered a franchise changer gets slimmer.  As we drop, hopefully, we focus on getting a starter in round one.  Whatever position we need. 

Fitterer IMO is going to lay out Corral's skills and why we drafted him.  The new coach would listen and make that a part of our path in the draft.  No team is going into the draft with only one position as their target in round one or any other round.  As the draft unfolds the new coach and GM are going to make a decision.  Whether a QB or any other position.

Wilks got screwed in Arizona and if he truly believes a QB in this draft is what he wants and is our best option than we'll go for it.  I can see where that would be a point we would pick his QB.  But saying that's he is ONLY focusing on a QB because he got screwed in Arizona doesn't make sense. 

I'll say this, if we do draft a QB in round 1, I'll be onboard with it.  I will silently hope that Corral gives him a run for his money.  

I think we (you and I) agree that Rhule really screwed us on his handling of Corral.  Not giving him real Reps put us in this conversation. 

• Beer 1