• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jim Harbaugh has convo with David Tepper

Daeavorn

The idea of winning multiple Super Bowls, while in theory should be the goal of any franchise, is frankly a pipe dream. The only franchises who have won more than one SB since the turn of the century are:

• Ravens - 2 
  • Rams - 2 (although technically speaking the 21st century began 1/1/01, so could argue it's just 1)
  • Bucs - 2
  • Giants - 2
  • Pats - 6 (just fuging insane)
  • Steelers - 2

So outside of the Pats, being able to win "multiple" SBs has meant no more than 2 rings. If Harbaugh puts us into SB contention for 4-5 years before flaming out and manages to bring the Carolinas one ring, sign me the fug up.

• Pie 5

16 minutes ago, GOAT said:

😂😂😂

bro I would do unimaginable things just to see the Panthers win one super bowl.

From experience, a few years later you will be saying the same thing.  It is the nature of fans.

I thought I would die before the St. Louis Blues won a Stanley Cup.  I was at peace with that.  Then they won it in 2019.  In 2023, the fact that they won one still brings a smile to my face, and when I rewatch game 7 I still get a lump in my throat when the announcer says with 12 seconds left, "and the Blues at the bench realize they are going to be champions."  That does not make me feel any better about I see on the ice in early 2023.

I don't have a strong opinion about hiring Harbaugh one way or another.  I will if they interview Matt Rhule II or some other dreg. 

But, the assumption that Harbaugh will bring us a Superb Owl win is without any basis.  He has elevated teams, but he has not won the entire show at the NFL or college level.  I realize that is rare air, but I also realize a lot of people here do not quite get that.  The question is, is his peak something just short of that?  Maybe, maybe not.  Hopefully somebody on the Panthers side will get an answer they are happy with.

There are others who are asking at what cost he will create the short-term success?  It is a valid question.  The Niners were a wreck when he left and Michigan may be in some trouble.  I know about the Niners fiasco when he left.  He was losing the team, but that might have been because his departure was being ensured publicly by that dynamic duo of York and Baalke.  At some point in 2014, it became hopeless and everybody knew it, including the players.

• Pie 1

The concept of "Great memories remind us of reasons to be happy" would play a role here. I still tear up watching our deep playoff runs in 96, 2003, and 2015. If you add a super bowl to that, then I think it only enhances the impact of those memories. 

I appreciate those moments.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 5

8 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

The idea of winning multiple Super Bowls, while in theory should be the goal of any franchise, is frankly a pipe dream. The only franchises who have won more than one SB since the turn of the century are:

• Ravens - 2 
  • Rams - 2 (although technically speaking the 21st century began 1/1/01, so could argue it's just 1)
  • Bucs - 2
  • Giants - 2
  • Pats - 6 (just fuging insane)
  • Steelers - 2

So outside of the Pats, being able to win "multiple" SBs has meant no more than 2 rings. If Harbaugh puts us into SB contention for 4-5 years before flaming out and manages to bring the Carolinas one ring, sign me the fug up.

I don't know that anybody is expecting that.  More along the lines of being in the discussion consistently.  Think the recent version of the Chiefs, Bills, and longer term, Ravens, Steelers, and yes, the evil empire with their multiple Owls.

Right now we are used to one step forward and two back.  Harbaugh can cure some of that, but the question many are asking is whether he does that for one run and then we are back to where we are.  That could be the Rams fate, who knows?

Like I said in the post above this, what happened in San Francisco may have been inevitable, but the fact that it happened when it did was, in my opinion, more on two buffoons in the front office than him.  If he slowly grates on a team, that can be handled with gradual roster changes.  When management essentially says you either "wid us or agin us," that is a different story.

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

The concept of "Great memories remind us of reasons to be happy" would play a role here. I still tear up watching our deep playoff runs in 96, 2003, and 2015. If you add a super bowl to that, then I think it only enhances the impact of those memories. 

I appreciate those moments.

And with all due respect to everybody else, you are one of the more balanced people in your thinking on this board (at least from what I can read in a forum).

If the Blues never win another Cup or even get to the finals, they gave me that one thrill.  I can die knowing that and be happy.  But, if you go to the Blues forum, those of us that can be satisfied treasuring those memories and not asking what have you done this year are in the small minority.  It is much smaller than those who would have said they would be in that group in 2018.

Da*# it, now you jokers are going to have me pull up game 7 of the 2019 Stanley Cup finals again, just to renew that feeling.  I still have that on the TiVo.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't know that anybody is expecting that.  More along the lines of being in the discussion consistently.  Think the recent version of the Chiefs, Bills, and longer term, Ravens, Steelers, and yes, the evil empire with their multiple Owls.

Right now we are used to one step forward and two back.  Harbaugh can cure some of that, but the question many are asking is whether he does that for one run and then we are back to where we are.  That could be the Rams fate, who knows?

Like I said in the post above this, what happened in San Francisco may have been inevitable, but the fact that it happened when it did was, in my opinion, more on two buffoons in the front office than him.  If he slowly grates on a team, that can be handled with gradual roster changes.  When management essentially says you either "wid us or agin us," that is a different story.

Not sure why Harbaugh doesn't fit in with that though. His last season, which was his worst, they were still 7-4 in playoff contention before finishing the year 1-4 to end 8-8. Yeah he wore out his welcome but he still gave them 4 years of prime contention after nearly a decade of losing seasons (prior to Harbaugh's first season in 2011, the 49ers hadn't even had a winning season since 2002).

In reality, you're not going to find many teams with long-term coaches if they haven't won a SB. How much longer do you think Bills fans will put up with McDermott if the Bills don't win a SB this year? How long of a leash would Andy Reid be given if the 49ers held onto that 4th quarter SB lead and Reid was 0-2 in SBs with a likely HOF QB?   

Edited by UNCrules2187

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

But, if you go to the Blues forum, those of us that can be satisfied treasuring those memories and not asking what have you done this year are in the small minority.  It is much smaller than those who would have said they would be in that group in 2018.

Imagine what the Pats and Celtics fans are like... its pretty toxic. haha

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

No, not really.  Just that winning one would not be the magic elixir a lot of people think (and have thought in other sports franchises).  While an Owl win would give everybody a smile for years to come, the mood would not be altered all that much a few years later.

For example, Cubs fans are not necessarily in any better mood now than they were before 2016.  Sure, they remember than World Series win fondly, but then it raised their expectations and may have soured their attitudes since even worse.  The only cure for that is sustained success.  Not necessarily a championship every year or three, but the realistic hope and pursuit of more.

Then again, there is the impact the Pats sustained success has had on their fans.  As a group, they became insufferable.  Although, in fairness to their long-time and long-suffering fans, that was probably from the hangers-on that get inherited with sustained success.

Lifelong Cubs fan here, 2016 was sooooo satisfying and the curse of the goat lifted, I think I can speak for us loyal long timers in saying, that win is everlasting.

I'm good for another hundred years...

the simpsons smoking GIF

• Pie 1

48 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Not sure why Harbaugh doesn't fit in with that though. His last season, which was his worst, they were still 7-4 in playoff contention before finishing the year 1-4 to end 8-8. Yeah he wore out his welcome but he still gave them 4 years of prime contention after nearly a decade of losing seasons (prior to Harbaugh's first season in 2011, the 49ers hadn't even had a winning season since 2002).

In reality, you're not going to find many teams with long-term coaches if they haven't won a SB. How much longer do you think Bills fans will put up with McDermott if the Bills don't win a SB this year? How long of a leash would Andy Reid be given if the 49ers held onto that 4th quarter SB lead and Reid was 0-2 in SBs with a likely HOF QB?   

Honestly, I have a lot of Chiefs fans as friends because of where I went to school.  Reid would have a long leash either way.  They are avid, but not terribly reactionary as a group.  If anything, winning the first trip and losing the second may have shortened his leash by a length or two.  But probably not.

I have to speculate on Buffalo.  But Levy never brought home an Owl, and he was not forced out.  Quite the contrary, he was like deity up there.  I do know Bills fans are very close to their team, so he might be okay as long  as they don't blow up, and in light of the Hamlin incident, that might not matter, either.

Now if you change those to Eagles fans, Cowboys fans, or Foreskins fans (pre-Snyder blow up), or probably those of the big majority of the league, those answers change.  Each fan base and owner is different.

The leash arguably gets shorter if you win one and then fall short with basically the same major pieces, at least among fans.  "What have you done for me lately" is the apt saying.

There was a lot going on in San Francisco.  At the same time as World War 47 was breaking out between Harbaugh and the two stooges, he had also decided they needed to work with Kaepernick to make him a better NFL passer.  So they expected some regression as that process played out, with the upside being he broke out of the pocket and continued to look downfield (and potentially catching DBs cheating at his break) rather than tucking it in.  Harbaugh saw that as Kaepernick's ticket to excelling in the NFL, and it was reported Kaepernick was all in.  So, in a sense they were retooling while the cauldron was bubbling and the management was going to hold the diminished results against him. 

Those morons might have fired him had they won the Owl that year.   The situation was a poster child for toxicity.  It was little wonder they couldn't close out the season with a playoff appearance.

Jim Harbaugh is the most proven and successful former NFL HC available. Not to mention very competitive college teams sandwiching his 4yr dominance and Superbowl appearance with the 49ers a bunch of ungrateful whiners who wouldn't have made it without HIM and the system and the discipline he brought.

You humps should be grateful he is considering coming here and you should be THANKING Mr David Tepper for making that call.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

Lifelong Cubs fan here, 2016 was sooooo satisfying and the curse of the goat lifted, I think I can speak for us loyal long timers in saying, that win is everlasting.

I'm good for another hundred years...

the simpsons smoking GIF

You have my respect, sir.  It was a tough road until 2016, and then in the Series being down 3-1.  Then a funny thing happened.....

The guy I worked for back in the mid 80s was a lifelong Cubs fan.  His saying was "they wouldn't be the Cubbies if they didn't break your heart."

Some of this lifelong and long-term fan stuff is tough business.

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

You have my respect, sir.  It was a tough road until 2016, and then in the Series being down 3-1.  Then a funny thing happened.....

The guy I worked for back in the mid 80s was a lifelong Cubs fan.  His saying was "they wouldn't be the Cubbies if they didn't break your heart."

Some of this lifelong and long-term fan stuff is tough business.

Panthers were never a frontrunner team. Just like my Cubbies. Very easy to be a patient and loyal Panthers fan if you love the Cubs.

I talk a lot of junk about decisions that have been made but to me the best chance at getting to the Superbowl again in short order IS Harbaugh.

I didn't think David Tepper would ever figure it out but being first in line to talk to Harbaugh really gives me hope.

I just happen to believe the Panthers are indeed #1 on his list. I've felt the pull of that destiny for quite some time.

If the Panthers win a Superbowl they've got a ten year pass from me.

• Pie 1