• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben Johnson has me convinced.

TheCasillas

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Still gotta get a second Rooney Rule interview completed before anything official can happen

Do we have anyone teed up before Wednesday to satisfy this rule? I wonder if that is why Demeco had logistic issues with us... I believe we were trying to schedule it for tomorrow iirc. Maybe he felt like he was just to satisfy the rule.... 

This whole thing about the league believing Johnson to the Panthers has legs... I assume the rooney candidates understand that as well. 

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Do we have anyone teed up before Wednesday to satisfy this rule? I wonder if that is why Demeco had logistic issues with us... I believe we were trying to schedule it for tomorrow iirc. Maybe he felt like he was just to satisfy the rule.... 

This whole thing about the league believing Johnson to the Panthers has legs... I assume the rooney candidates understand that as well. 

The only interview I've actually heard an official schedule date for is Johnson's.

Obviously, Evero's schedule should be free.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The only interview I've actually heard an official schedule date for is Johnson's.

Obviously, Evero's schedule should be free.

At this point this is where the Rooney rule hits a point of failure. It's a waste of people's time and that sucks for all that is involved. I get what the league is attempting to solve, but I just dont believe the strategy is correct. I believe the compensation of draft picks for hiring minority candidates is a step in the right direction.... but the Rooney rule is dated and not effective. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

At this point this is where the Rooney rule hits a point of failure. It's a waste of people's time and that sucks for all that is involved. I get what the league is attempting to solve, but I just dont believe the strategy is correct. I believe the compensation of draft picks for hiring minority candidates is a step in the right direction.... but the Rooney rule is dated and not effective. 

I feel that the Rooney was well intentioned. A lot of guys have received interviews who wouldn't have if it were not in place. But, I understand your viewpoint.

Let's say I was a minority candidate  who specializes in defense. An owner is looking to hire a coach and he's already showed signs that he has a guy in mind or wants a offensive minded coach. I wouldn't want to waste my time interviewing for the position just because he has to "interview an A.A/Hispanic/Asian " to be in compliance with the Rooney Rule. I'd only go if I thought that particular franchise would be a good place to work as defensive staff coach and I wanted to get my foot in the door.

This reminds me of 2018I was disappointed with the way Mr. Richardson handled the "G.M." search after he axed Gettlemen. He interviewed 3 A.A. candidates (Martin Mayhew, Lake Dawson, and Jimmy Raye III), Ryan Cowden, and Marty Hurney, who was serving as interim GM. We all know how that turned out in the end. Those interviews were a sham and were conducted to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Yet, the draft pick thing has some flaws as well. Something seems weird about saying that you get more draft choices because your hired a minority coach. We could have been scheduled to get pick 66, but lose it to another team because they hired Leftwhich or Beienemy.

Or, imagine hiring a minority who is the 2nd coming of a Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, the 2 Bills (Parcells or Belichik), Shula, or Gibbs and pair him with a shrewd GM.  He'll come in with several extra bullets in the chamber and could dominate the league in a matter of years 😂

Just now, SCO96 said:

I feel that the Rooney was well intentioned. A lot of guys have received interviews who wouldn't have if it were not in place. 

Is the actual intention of the Rooney Rule to get more minority coaches hired or is it to provide positive PR / cover for the NFL? 🤔

• Pie 2

On 1/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, raleigh-panther said:

…but it’s not  business and not dealing with Tepper   He has a pretty sweet thing going on in Detroit also   He might actually be happy there.

Has anyone ever said this about Detroit?

Hell, has anyone actually ever been happy in Detroit?

Okay maybe some of those old Pistons teams, but anyone related to the Lions?

Happy?

It just seems weird to even think it.

• Pie 1

I'm sorta on the fence with this.  Yes I would like to see the team have a high scoring fun offense but.. how is it gonna effect the locker room.  Wilks is really respected and well liked by the players. Would Wilks take the DC position under Ben?   I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.  Regardless I see big changes in the  coaching positions.  New DC, new OC, etc.  I hope we keep the OL coach and the DB coaches though.  

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Is the actual intention of the Rooney Rule to get more minority coaches hired or is it to provide positive PR / cover for the NFL? 🤔

The black coaches should demand an end to it, it’s patronizing in the extreme.  Imagine going into an interview and in back of your mind you know you are t who they want 

6 minutes ago, FugginPoo said:

The black coaches should demand an end to it, it’s patronizing in the extreme.  Imagine going into an interview and in back of your mind you know you are t who they want 

The Brian Flores lawsuit (that Steve Wilks is part of) could potentially have an effect on it.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It could be both sir.

I definitely think the latter suggestion in your post is part of it. If minorities are interviewed and don't get hired the Franchise/Owner can always say "We gave him an opportunity, but the other guy was better suited or qualified."

But let's look at this from another angle. A minority guy who might not normally get an interview could come in an ace the interview. So much so that the owner and GM are blown away and could say, "He may not have been my first choice but this guy is special. I'd hate to see him end up coaching another team in the NFL." From what I remember, the Steelers had that type of experience with Tomlin when he interviewed for that job almost two decades ago he still hasn't had a losing season.