• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee

MHS831

OK, this will make some of you mad--but Hooker coming off ACL surgery could be a steal at QB.  I think, looking at the mocks right now, he'd be there with the panthers first, second round pick--since his ACL injury could make him a lame duck his first season, he could fall to the late second, early third.  Why is that a steal, you ask?  We could move up and get a top rated QB in the draft and it would cost us our First and probably both seconds. All of the top QBs seem to be developmental projects--not ready as rookies to start.  No QB in the draft had a better year than Hooker:  "The senior posted 3,135 yards passing, 430 yards rushing and 32 touchdowns with only two interceptions for the Volunteers' high-powered offense. Hooker threw five touchdowns in Tennessee's first upset victory over then No. 1 Alabama." 

Yes, he beat #1 Bama with 5 TDs.  He is 6'4" and can run the ball.

OK, he is a bit older than other QBs in the draft.  I see that as a good thing---he will be mature during the first contract.  Age 25-29, a veteran athlete on a rookie contract.  He could play until he is 35, giving us more than Cam did (due to his playing style).

So if we draft Hooker in the second round, we'd still have a first rounder and a second rounder. We could add a TE early in the draft. That, after we re-sign Bozeman and Corbett, would make this offense scary. 

He is coming off ACL surgery.  That means he might not be ready until he is 26, in the second year of a four-year deal.  It is a reason for concern, but he would be able to learn the offense.  We would probably need to sign a veteran QB on a one year deal, but then we'd have Herndon on a rookie contract for three more seasons.  With the OL restored (by the way, Cade Mays played great vs. New Orleans) and upgrades at WR and TE, this team could be good with a transitional QB.

Just a thought. 

• Pie 2

I honestly think he was a 3rd round type prospect before the injury. Afterward, I think he's probably a 4th or 5th rounder. Hate it for the kid. Seems like a great guy. I just don't think he's a great NFL QB prospect and now he's coming off a serious knee injury that will likely see him on IR for his rookie season.

• Pie 1

All you all make points that I have in my head too--I think, however, when you are talking round 3-5, you risk tolerance has to go up.  In the first, if 22 and healthy?  Probably not.  I mean, if you put a 25-year old Tom Brady in that offense, would his stats have been better? 

Can we all agree that drafting a QB--regardless of the round--is a crap shoot?  I can't pick them.  I thought (back in the day) that the Ryan Leaf/Peyton Manning competition was about even.  I thought Jamarcus Russell was going to change the game.  I laughed when KC traded up for that QB from Texas Tech with no mechanics and in a wide open system--I forget his name now.   I am SO BAD at this...

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

All you all make points that I have in my head too--I think, however, when you are talking round 3-5, you risk tolerance has to go up.  In the first, if 22 and healthy?  Probably not.  I mean, if you put a 25-year old Tom Brady in that offense, would his stats have been better? 

Can we all agree that drafting a QB--regardless of the round--is a crap shoot?  I can't pick them.  I thought (back in the day) that the Ryan Leaf/Peyton Manning competition was about even.  I thought Jamarcus Russell was going to change the game.  I laughed when KC traded up for that QB from Texas Tech with no mechanics and in a wide open system--I forget his name now.   I am SO BAD at this...

If we are talking mid 4th round on type area I can’t see a huge downside to taking this guy even given all his negatives.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

If we are talking mid 4th round on type area I can’t see a huge downside to taking this guy even given all his negatives.  

The only bad thing I can see is waiting that long to draft a player and hoping he is still there, especially one playing the most premium position there is. It just takes one team to ruin that after many picks of waiting.

I wouldn’t be against taking a QB at 9 then Hooker again in the 4th if he is still there. Throw him on IR and you’ve just increased your chances of getting it right. Even if he develops into a solid backup that’s a pick well spent.

16 minutes ago, panthersken said:

well now that is just not nice, LOL. I really belive in him he had really high marks from my team last season. I also had him as QB 1 coming out. Not sure if you ever actually watched him play?

I think many folks were worried about his injury past, only to watch him get injured again, while looking awful in the preseason.