• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: CJ Stroud is reportedly the “apple” of the Carolina Panthers’ eye at the moment.

Stroud may be the best QB in this draft class but none of these QBs are savior QBs.  I don't see any of them starting day one and if they do it will be a long year for whoever they play for. 

Any other season Stroud is the 4th or 5th QB on the board.   I wouldn't trade the farm for him that's for sure.   Our draft capital isn't great and we have other holes to fill.  I would not be upset to see us sign a veteran and stay at 9.   If Stroud, Young, Levis or Richardson fell to #9 you take your chance and pick him.  You let the vet start and let the rookie battle Corral for the #2 spot.   If none of them are available at #9 you take BPA.  Use a later pick on a QB that moves up the boards via the combine and Pro days. 

If we trade the farm for him and he fails, it will set this team back many years.   I don't think it is worth the gamble. 

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Stroud may be the best QB in this draft class but none of these QBs are savior QBs.  I don't see any of them starting day one and if they do it will be a long year for whoever they play for. 

Any other season Stroud is the 4th or 5th QB on the board.   I wouldn't trade the farm for him that's for sure.   Our draft capital isn't great and we have other holes to fill.  I would not be upset to see us sign a veteran and stay at 9.   If Stroud, Young, Levis or Richardson fell to #9 you take your chance and pick him.  You let the vet start and let the rookie battle Corral for the #2 spot.   If none of them are available at #9 you take BPA.  Use a later pick on a QB that moves up the boards via the combine and Pro days. 

If we trade the farm for him and he fails, it will set this team back many years.   I don't think it is worth the gamble. 

Good grief, the "let's wait until next year" argument that folks have been touring ever since we initially released Cam. How's that working out so far?

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

They'll find a way to poo on Drake Maye and Caleb Williams next year for sure.

Yep. Next year is always better.

Listen, I'd be breaking the table pounding on it for Drake Maye if he was available but he's not. And there's no guarantee we'll be in any situation to land him next year anyway. Hell, if we are Reich might be one and done.

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good grief, the "let's wait until next year" argument that folks have been touring ever since we initially released Cam. How's that working out so far?

It's not a wait for next year argument.  It's don't sell the farm on a QB that isn't a franchise QB.  Stroud is not worth the asking price of multiple first round picks.  He may be a 1st rounder but not worth the assets we would have to give up.

Reich is supposed to be a QB whipserer.  Is it too far for anyone to believe he might be able to take a lower round pick who has the tools but needs work.  I'd rather not pass on a player that could help us somewhere else.

I saw an argument for Darnold, not saying I agree with it, but did you know Darnold had a QBR over 100 four times after he came back from injury?  

There are many other options than losing 3 first rounders like SF did for Lance. 

Edited by DaveThePanther2008

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Then next year the same people will be saying we should wait until NEXT year. It is a vicious cycle. 
But I bet people were saying we should wait till 2012 draft when we drafted Cam Newton in 2011. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Well if Stroud is all that than you can forget about trading up for him because no one is going to give pity on us and trade down so we can draft him.  Someone will take him well before us.  

So we just need to hold out until we're #1 overall in the perfect year? Cool.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

It's not a wait for next year argument.  It's don't sell the farm on a QB that isn't a franchise QB.  Stroud is not worth the asking price of multiple first round picks.  He may be a 1st rounder but not worth the assets we would have to give up.

Reich is supposed to be a QB whipserer.  Is it too far for anyone to believe he might be able to take a lower round pick who has the tools but needs work.  I'd rather not pass on a player that could help us somewhere else.

I saw an argument for Darnold, not saying I agree with it, but did you know Darnold had a QBR over 100 four times after he came back from injury?  

There are many other options than losing 3 first rounders like SF did for Lance. 

QBR is a crap stat. Just look at his stats through those games and they are incredibly unimpressive and that Saints game was absolutely the worst crap I have ever seen behind center. 
I know you are not saying we should go with Darnold but there are better options if we don’t draft QB this year. 
Also we are gonna have to sell the farm no matter what we do and we have no idea how these QBs will turn out. 
Panthers have failed to tank every year they were supposed to because winning now is apparently more important then getting a future franchise QB. 
Constantly pushing the QB problem into the next draft just puts us into continuous QB purgatory. 
Panthers are causing the need to move up because even when they suck. They don’t suck enough to get a high enough draft pick. 
So we can wait till next year but likely we will have to pay a ton to get a QB then too. 
Because Panthers have proven they don’t want to suck enough to get a QB without paying big. 

TLDR: Panthers will never suck enough to get a franchise QB without having to pay up the A$$. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1