• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Around the league

Mr. Scot

More from Albert Greer on the Payton and Wilson show to come (same article as the one quoted about the hire of Frank Reich)

Wilson got $124 million fully guaranteed at signing, which carries the team, and quarterback, through the 2024 season. On top of that, the $37 million he’s due in 2025 vests in 13 months. So either Wilson plays a single year for Payton, and then is cut with $39 million cash due for ’24—leaving Denver with a cap nightmare of $124 million spent for two years of Wilson—or Wilson’s there for Payton’s first three years.

In other words, for Payton to make it work, he’ll almost certainly have to make his system, and his program, work for Wilson.

Now, the good news—my understanding has always been that Payton liked Wilson’s game going back to when Wilson came out of Wisconsin 11 years ago. Payton’s also made his system work at an incredibly high level for a quarterback who had similar challenges to the one Wilson faces (namely, the distance the top of his head is from the ground).

From there, my personal opinion is that Payton’s challenge will be getting Wilson to understand what he is and what he isn’t. For years in Seattle, there was friction between the quarterback and his coaches on how he should be deployed. Pete Carroll and his offensive staffs always thought that was by incorporating Wilson into the run game, moving the pocket in the passing game, and leaning on play-action to generate vision and get Wilson playing fast.

Wilson, for his part, wanted to be used in a more traditional Tom Brady–Peyton Manning type of way, thinking that, to steal a line, by letting Russ cook, the Seahawks would unlock another piece of his game. And in having the leverage he got in directing his trade destination, he was able to have things his way his first year in Denver, with a first-year head coach.

We know now what became of that.

And that’s really why I said, when the Broncos fired Nathaniel Hackett, that they needed someone who could push back on Wilson, and challenge him, be it a Jim Harbaugh or a Dan Quinn or a DeMeco Ryans. Now, they’ve got that guy in Payton.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well now, this could get interesting...

More info...

From the article...

Wilson has a personal performance team made up of trainers, physical therapists, and others who had access to the Broncos facility during the 2022 season. At a press conference in Denver on Monday, Payton said that will no longer be the case.

“That’s foreign to me,” Payton said, via Parker Gabriel of the Denver Post. “That’s not going to take place here. I’m not familiar with it, but our staff will be here, our players will be here and that’ll be it.”

Wilson having his own office and parking spot at the Broncos facility created more grist for the mill about his standing with the team last season. As Payton works to craft an offense that does more to highlight Wilson’s strengths, it appears he’ll be doing the same off the field in hopes of creating smoother sailing in Denver.

Heh 😄

I'm thinking that it might have been a better move to keep that between himself and the players.  Calling Wilson out, proving that he (Payton) is The Alpha dog does not seem to be the best way to handle things. So surprised that SP would act in a classless manner (ha).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 5

I really don't think this Payton to Denver thing is going to work out.  I fully expected him to return to the booth for a year until Brandon Staley is inevitably fired next season.  I could see Payton being very successful in LA with Justin Herbert.  But Russell Wilson is a lost cause and doesn't really fit Payton's offense.  And he's stuck with Wilson no matter what.  I think this ends with the Broncos blowing it up in 2-3 years.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Damn the Cardinals are struggling

There are certain constants in the universe, and that is one of them. 

I don't know how else to go from being on the verge of parting company with the HC and starting QB, solving that by extending both of them, only to then part company with the HC the following year and, if they had any sense, the QB, too.

I will swallow my tongue saying this, but Marty Hurney might have been an improvement for them.

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

There are certain constants in the universe, and that is one of them. 

I don't know how else to go from being on the verge of parting company with the HC and starting QB, solving that by extending both of them, only to then part company with the HC the following year and, if they had any sense, the QB, too.

I will swallow my tongue saying this, but Marty Hurney might have been an improvement for them.

Not only are they stuck paying for Murray, he's probably going to sit out at least through training camp I bet. He'll be "rehabbing" his acl/mcl injuries at home in front of his Xbox

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I really don't think this Payton to Denver thing is going to work out.  I fully expected him to return to the booth for a year until Brandon Staley is inevitably fired next season.  I could see Payton being very successful in LA with Justin Herbert.  But Russell Wilson is a lost cause and doesn't really fit Payton's offense.  And he's stuck with Wilson no matter what.  I think this ends with the Broncos blowing it up in 2-3 years.

He signed a 5 year contract.

30 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I sincerely hope you are correct. It would be fantastic to see the Broncos fail that miserably after trading away premium draft picks.

On the other hand, it will suck to see the Saints get two top 10 picks.