• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Poll: What do you want Panthers to do for QB?

NAS

What do you want Panthers to do this offseason?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want Panthers to do regarding QB situation this offseason

• Draft best available QB at current draft position (#9)
    • Trade up with Bears (#1) and draft a QB (whatever it takes)
    • Trade up with Cardinals (#3) and draft a QB (whatever it takes)
    • Sign Derek Carr and draft best available player at #9
    • Trade for Lamar Jackson, fully guaranteed contract (Watson like trade)

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Well yeah, semantics wise, we can say "taking a shot" is basically using a draft pick.  

It's commonly being used in the context of taking the risk, grabbing your balls and nose, and jumping two feet in for a crazy trade.  

That's not what I'm gathering from this board. What I'm hearing is that if the team doesn't trade everything for Young or Stroud they aren't "taking a shot" at a young qb and are therefore doomed to mediocrity. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, NAS said:

I hope you're wrong.  I'd rather roll with Darnold as a bridge QB then give a multiyear deal to Carr which will likely include a lot of guaranteed $$$.  

I hope I'm wrong as well. But given the circumstances they will need someone with experience to start the season.  The other option is to start Corral and try to get the new rookie ready as soon as possible.  Neither option is appealing. 

I'm not in favor of Carr coming here for 30-40 mil per for 2 or 3 years. But like I've repeatedly said its not my call. I'm just trying to determine what the team is thinking. Given that Reich tried to bring him to Indy I would not discount the possibility. 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I hope I'm wrong as well. But given the circumstances they will need someone with experience to start the season.  The other option is to start Corral and try to get the new rookie ready as soon as possible.  Neither option is appealing. 

I'm not in favor of Carr coming here for 30-40 mil per for 2 or 3 years. But like I've repeatedly said its not my call. I'm just trying to determine what the team is thinking. Given that Reich tried to bring him to Indy I would not discount the possibility. 

I think that we can move a little money around and frontload a 2 year deal...not ideal, but we can do it.

DJ, Shaq, Moton, etc...there is some movement that can be had.  

Frank may want a fast start, he may LOVE Carr, either way, with Carr here, we win the division....maybe Tepper wants butts in the seats again that aren't the wrong color?

I want to snag a QB in the 1st, but I wouldn't hate bringing in a legit vet to take advantage of our crap division right now in addition.  Time to strike while the iron is hot IMO.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

I think that we can move a little money around and frontload a 2 year deal...not ideal, but we can do it.

DJ, Shaq, Moton, etc...there is some movement that can be had.  

Frank may want a fast start, he may LOVE Carr, either way, with Carr here, we win the division....maybe Tepper wants butts in the seats again that aren't the wrong color?

I want to snag a QB in the 1st, but I wouldn't hate bringing in a legit vet to take advantage of our crap division right now in addition.  Time to strike while the iron is hot IMO.

It comes down to opportunities.  I'm sure they will feel out the teams above us to see if there is a chance to move up without crippling the team. But if you can't get a trade partner they will just have to hope someone starts to fall. Otherwise, if they can't move up they may move out for more picks next year and take a shot at one in the second this year.  It's not the best position to be in if they must have a top 3 qb. 

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That's not what I'm gathering from this board. What I'm hearing is that if the team doesn't trade everything for Young or Stroud they aren't "taking a shot" at a young qb and are therefore doomed to mediocrity. 

I'm sure some people think that given our history at the position but imagine most will fall in line if we wind up with Levis or AR.  I honestly can't tell if it's more people wanting Young/Stroud at all costs or simply wanting to avoid Levis/AR at all costs. 

In my view, avoiding Levis is one of the most consistent themes in the fanbase in addition to the Stroud/Young trade up.  Funny thing is picking Levis could be the most likely scenario whether we like it or not.   I think a team could play him out of the gate, simply not the case with AR.  

Elsewhere, Carr is the only non-draft option that's not a single-season stitch (which just doesn't seem to be the angle)

I'd bank on our next QB being one of 4 choices: Carr, Young, Stroud, or Levis.  Hard seeing anything else, highly doubt Jackson happens.  The only other scenario I could see is AR with Brissett/Heinicke/etc to start at first/until he's deemed ready.  But that could get messy for a new staff.        

I also highly doubt Corral is even QB2 on our depth chart, his long shot for that is if we do land Carr.    

My 2 cents

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I'm sure some people think that given our history at the position but imagine most will fall in line if we wind up with Levis or AR.  I honestly can't tell if it's more people wanting Young/Stroud at all costs or simply wanting to avoid Levis/AR at all costs. 

In my view, avoiding Levis is one of the most consistent themes in the fanbase in addition to the Stroud/Young trade up.  Funny thing is picking Levis could be the most likely scenario whether we like it or not.   I think a team could play him out of the gate, simply not the case with AR.  

Elsewhere, Carr is the only non-draft option that's not a single-season stitch (which just doesn't seem to be the angle)

I'd bank on our next QB being one of 4 choices: Carr, Young, Stroud, or Levis.  Hard seeing anything else, highly doubt Jackson happens.  The only other scenario I could see is AR with Brissett/Heinicke/etc to start at first/until he's deemed ready.  But that could get messy for a new staff.        

I also highly doubt Corral is even QB2 on our depth chart, his long shot for that is if we do land Carr.    

My 2 cents

I don't know what to think about Corral.  I know Fitterer is high on him. That should get him a shot to show what he's got this season. Not saying he can or will become anything here but he will get a chance. 

I'm also not a fan of signing Carr either. If they consider him I think it will be closer to the draft if he's still available.  The starter for this season will be interesting to try to predict. 

27 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It comes down to opportunities.  I'm sure they will feel out the teams above us to see if there is a chance to move up without crippling the team. But if you can't get a trade partner they will just have to hope someone starts to fall. Otherwise, if they can't move up they may move out for more picks next year and take a shot at one in the second this year.  It's not the best position to be in if they must have a top 3 qb. 

I don't want to gather future picks, but it's not the worst idea.

Prefer to take that QB or the best player at 9...fine to move up a couple spots IMO, but not into the top 3.

Just now, thefuzz said:

I don't want to gather future picks, but it's not the worst idea.

Prefer to take that QB or the best player at 9...fine to move up a couple spots IMO, but not into the top 3.

I think trading back would be a last resort.  And then only if we get a great deal. My initial prediction is the stay at 9 for the time being.  I may change that by the time the draft rolls around. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't know what to think about Corral.  I know Fitterer is high on him. That should get him a shot to show what he's got this season. Not saying he can or will become anything here but he will get a chance. 

I'm also not a fan of signing Carr either. If they consider him I think it will be closer to the draft if he's still available.  The starter for this season will be interesting to try to predict. 

I'm game to see what Corral has.  Especially with a team that has adequate coaching and a solid, modern scheme to learn. 

He hasn't been asked to take in a lot as a QB (Ole Miss RPO heaven & got quickly shelved by Rhule), so I imagine there's going to be a ton for him to digest within Reich's playbook and learning pro nuances.  No one really knows how well he'll mesh and fold into the system so that's the big toss up at this point. 

I imagine we'll get hints during the summer as the team is coming together and going through camp.  I don't think he's going anywhere but I don't think they're banking on him either.  Would love to see him at least secure the backup role regardless of the QB that comes in.  

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I'm game to see what Corral has.  Especially with a team that has adequate coaching and a solid, modern scheme to learn. 

He hasn't been asked to take in a lot as a QB (Ole Miss RPO heaven & got quickly shelved by Rhule), so I imagine there's going to be a ton for him to digest within Reich's playbook and learning pro nuances.  No one really knows how well he'll mesh and fold into the system so that's the big toss up at this point. 

I imagine we'll get hints during the summer as the team is coming together and going through camp.  I don't think he's going anywhere but I don't think they're banking on him either.  Would love to see him at least secure the backup role regardless of the QB that comes in.  

Well they really cannot go into the season banking on Corral. They will never do that. There will be another rookie added and a vet, maybe 2 going into camp. Mark my words.