• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go for Carr hard and save #9 pick?

Jmac

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This is a football message board. They aren't asking for anyone's evaluation. Why state the obvious? 

You can talk about the Jets and Saints all you like. If you offer a QB an I-want-you-right-now type of contract, they're going to take it. There are too many (or two many) dominoes left to fall right now to be giving Derek Carr a big ass contract. 

Acting as if you know what a certain player is thinking when the player themselves has said the exact opposite is a good way to look kinda silly.

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

This person understands.  Hell they have been the only reliable source leaking a little info for us.

In defense of the other guy, I don’t think he said Carolina was going to sign him. I read it as Carolina’s front office (Fitterer, Drummond, whoever) likes him and they want Reich’s input. I didn’t take it as him declaring Carr to us.

Edited by Cdparr7
Spelling

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Acting as if you know what a certain player is thinking when the player themselves has said the exact opposite is a good way to look kinda silly.

This is more about what the teams are thinking, and the fact that you didn't get that makes you look kinda silly.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

In defense of the other guy, I don’t think he said Carolina was going to sign him. I read it as Carolina’s front office (Fitterer, Drummond, whoever) likes him and they want Reich’s input. I didn’t take it as him declaring Carr to us.

Oh I’m not directly it at any particular poster. The person talking about the FO was fine and had sone good points. My post was just a reference to this whole topic/discussion. I don’t see us saving pick 9 and signing Carr. That’s all. 

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This is more about what the teams are thinking, and the fact that you didn't get that makes you look kinda silly.

It's fun for the back and forth to argue but this shtick where someone tries to drag another for not knowing anything is pointless. 99% of people posting here don't actually know anything. In the history of the huddle there might have been a handful of contributors here with legit sources to the team. It's just sports talk. But let him strut around the room like a rooster with his 100k posts. It's amusing.

• Pie 2

54 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Thinking that teams are going to keep a guy around for two days and give him the full court press when they're actually not that interested in him is, as the saying goes, "a bold strategy Cotton" 😄

Edited by Mr. Scot

48 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh I’m not directly it at any particular poster. The person talking about the FO was fine and had sone good points. My post was just a reference to this whole topic/discussion. I don’t see us saving pick 9 and signing Carr. That’s all. 

If you're not sure one of the quarterbacks you want is dropping that far, it's definitely possible.

But again, Reich made clear that he and the coaches haven't had that discussion yet. The front office reportedly likes him, but It's gotta be a united approach or you're basically the Colts.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you're not sure one of the quarterbacks you want is dropping that far, it's definitely possible.

But again, Reich made clear that he and the coaches haven't had that discussion yet. The front office reportedly likes him, but It's gotta be a united approach or you're basically the Colts.

GM Fitt already said if there is one you like you trade up and get him.  Call it "GM speak" if you want, but he is usually pretty straightforward in his interviews.  It also makes sense.  We have an OL and a defense with several talented young players.  You can't be afraid to go up and get your guy in the draft.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/panthers-ideal-qb-situation-makes-them-trade-target-bears#:~:text=General manager Scott Fitterer clarified,up and go get him.

He does say you don't want to back yourself in a corner and go strictly draft, but it's the most cost effective way to do it.  Signing Carr and having to move our cap all around to fit his salary doesn't seem cost effective at all.

24 minutes ago, frankw said:

It's fun for the back and forth to argue but this shtick where someone tries to drag another for not knowing anything is pointless. 99% of people posting here don't actually know anything. In the history of the huddle there might have been a handful of contributors here with legit sources to the team. It's just sports talk. But let him strut around the room like a rooster with his 100k posts. It's amusing.

Yeah, I feel ya. I act like an ass sometimes, but mostly when provoked. 

We're just a bunch of fans giving our opinion. Sure, sometimes all I go on us feeling, but most of the time I invoke human nature, stats where necessary, facts, and perspectives from simply listening to ESPN radio a good part of the day. I'm also as old as Scot, and I've watched football since I was 4. I really started paying attention religiously since I was 9. I don't know it all, but I know what I know. Most of the time, there is a rational counterpoint pertaining to opinions on players. Sometimes people come out the sides of their neck with some bullshit, but football message boards are here for reasonable debate. Obviously Carr is going to bring a dichotomy of opinions, but I think that most people will admit that they'd rather have A-Rod or Lamar Jackson if they could work that out, especially a team with their ducks oresumablt in a row like the Jets. Plus, Woody Johnson loves making a splash according to Greeny.

• Beer 3

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Thinking that teams are going to keep a guy around for two days and give him the full court press when they're actually not that interested in him is, as the saying goes, "a bold strategy Cotton" 😄

I didn't say they weren't interested in him, Sherlock. They're more interested to see if Rodgers or Jackson will actually be options. Duh!

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Thats coach speak 100%.  There is no way any of those dudes get hired without giving their thoughts on the qbs in the draft and the overall qb situation.  Also I dont think Reich needs to sit down with the coaches to discuss what carr may or may not be. 

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yeah, I feel ya. I act like an ass sometimes, but mostly when provoked. 

We're just a bunch of fans giving our opinion. Sure, sometimes all I go on us feeling, but most of the time I invoke human nature, stats where necessary, facts, and perspectives from simply listening to ESPN radio a good part of the day. I'm also as old as Scot, and I've watched football since I was 4. I really started paying attention religiously since I was 9. I don't know it all, but I know what I know. Most of the time, there is a rational counterpoint pertaining to opinions on players. Sometimes people come out the sides of their neck with some bullshit, but football message boards are here for reasonable debate. Obviously Carr is going to bring a dichotomy of opinions, but I think that most people will admit that they'd rather have A-Rod or Lamar Jackson if they could work that out, especially a team with their ducks oresumablt in a row like the Jets. Plus, Woody Johnson loves making a splash according to Greeny.

Well put. I'm with ya. We all want the same thing ultimately. Well the non full time trolls that is. I would like to have Lamar here but if it costs a haul I'd rather draft one. Rodgers I'd accept but he's so wishy washy I'd still look to the draft over the risk of living with his annual will he or won't he retire drama. With Carr he's more of an unknown between the three. There are people rightly saying the Raiders are a mess. McDaniels is a well documented horrendous head coach. But at the same time I don't buy that it's all one sided. Carr has some of his own baggage if you believe the whispers about him personally and he's been up and down through his career. The talent is there the ceiling is high. But he's 32. He still had some nice weapons there. He was even reunited with Adams one of the best receivers in the league. Someone mentioned a comparison to Jay Cutler and that’s where I'm at. If we signed him I'd support and hope for the best but my gut says it would end the same as our last two attempts at this but that's just me. I think the draft is our only path.

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I didn't say they weren't interested in him, Sherlock. They're more interested to see if Rodgers or Jackson will actually be options. Duh!

Translation: "Nobody knows anything..."

"...except me. I know this!"

Sure 😄

Edited by Mr. Scot