• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB options sorted in preference tiers

JawnyBlaze

19 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Surrounding talent/the team they play for doesn’t hide flaws if you’re actually paying attention to the QB. It only hides flaws if you’re just going off stats. Stroud does things that no amount of talent around him can influence. I’m not saying he’s perfect and can’t miss, every single player that’s drafted could bust.  But Stroud (and to a lesser degree Young) has shown abilities and development that you just don’t see in the vast majority of QB prospects. Not Mahommes in college, not Lawrence in college, certainly not Fields or whatever other lazy comparison you want to make based on who they played for or what kind of talent they had around them. 

Totally agree.. And while ppl want to act like Corral was on a bad team in college.. He played with or 3 pro WR’s and Oline men.. 

Aj brown Mitchell and DK were on that Ole Miss team at 1 point while Corral was The QB..

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Not to mention.. This should be and is expected to be a better team based off professionals coaching alone.. So we won’t be near Williams or Maye anyway and probably looking to give up more to get them..

That's why im curious who specifically people think are going to be the guys behind Williams and Maye and how there is any certainty that will be a better group than Levis and Richardson. I cant imagine the team making a long term strategic decision based on the hope that someone becomes the third/fourth QB in next years class.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, stan786 said:

That's why im curious who specifically people think are going to be the guys behind Williams and Maye and how there is any certainty that will be a better group than Levis and Richardson. I cant imagine the team making a long term strategic decision based on the hope that someone becomes the third/fourth QB in next years class.

I guess ppl think this team is going to tank for a better draft pick and every year get disappointed when they don’t..

• Pie 3

Just now, WOW!! said:

I guess ppl think this team is going to tank for a better draft pick and every year get disappointed when they don’t..

I will admit it is kind of funny to think about Reich willingly throwing himself back into the situation that got him canned in Indy with having a team too good to actually get a QB in the draft.

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

This!

My goodness what is with people and waiting next year for a QB. We won't be in position for the top QB's next year either.

If you want your QB you have to trade to get them. 

• Pie 2

Maye and Ewers may not even declare with the whole NIL environment.  Could easily see that happening and next year is left with Caleb...then Pratt/Daniels/Penix.

So, if people are eyeing 2024 and REALLY think they'd pass on a QB this year, they might as well be talking Michael Pratt or Jayden Daniels.  Heck, even if Ewers and Maye stay on their trajectory, they will be more out of reach AND sought after than either Stroud or Young this year. 

Talk about selling the barn, imagine trading up from 16-20 to the top-5.  Yeah...

If we're picking top-5 next year, with this staff, the current NFC landscape, and the baseline roster we have, something will have gone tremendously wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Well I couldn’t disagree more. This is common thinking with QB’s. It’s understandable too. 

They are the star, they touch the ball every play, and they are the most watched player because of it. They take all the blame for losses. They get all the glory when things go well. 

But although they are the most important, much of the blame they catch and the glory they get is an illusion, because…

This is the king of team sports. It’s impossible to clearly evaluate a QB in a vacuum. And that’s just regarding on field performance. It’s even harder to predict how their off field lives will impact their career. 

It’s not impossible to pay attention to how he makes reads, what the ball looks like coming out of his hand, the trajectory of the pass, the touch, the anticipation, whether he hits guys in stride or makes them slow down, accuracy (true accuracy, not completion %), how he reacts to pressure.  It’s only impossible to evaluate because of the team aspect if you’re just looking at stats and wins, which I’ve never condoned.  I’ve made the “it’s a team sport” argument countless times when people try to argue for or against a QB based on wins.  

Much of it is making sure they have enough arm strength to make NFL throws, how accurate are they in a clean pocket/under pressure/on the move. Do they have mobility if you value it. Do they show discipline and leadership. 

Other than the last sentence, these things can be seen by actually watching full games/every play cut ups.

Then you get one and try to surround them with the coaching/pieces to help them succeed.  

And then they still could suck. Happens all the time. 

Yep, which is why I’m not saying he is a can’t miss prospect or bust proof, but since everything you can observe by watching him play is so great, he’s as low risk a prospect as there’s been in a long time.  Of course he could see them dollars and pull a Jamarcus Russell, he could have a career ending injury, he could simply miss home and get depressed. Lots of completely unforeseeable things could happen but that‘a the risk you take with any player. Doesn’t mean it’s not worth trading a bunch to go get a guy that has the potential to make a monumental impact like Stroud. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Im legit convinced people just don't like Lamar Jackson.

A 26 year old QB MVP candidate in the prime of his career and people suggesting Sam Darnold and Derek Carr is a better option than going after Lamar Jackson.

I love Jackson

I don't love Jackson for the 2 first round picks and 40 million/year contract we'll have to give him.

I'd rather just trade the picks and get a guy thats younger and has the potential to be as good as Jackson.

There's more nuance to football than just plugging in player A to spot A, they get paid, they get traded, teams have to give up compensation.

If we could just sign Jackson then sure, maybe, but having to give up atleast 2 first round picks for him AND signing him to a ridiculous contract is just too much when we still have holes to fill on this team.

Edited by tecc86
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, tecc86 said:

I love Jackson

I don't love Jackson for the 2 first round picks and 40 million/year contract we'll have to give him.

I'd rather just trade the picks and get a guy thats younger and has the potential to be as good as Jackson.

There's more nuance to football than just plugging in player A to spot A, they get paid, they get traded, teams have to give up compensation.

If we could just sign Jackson then sure, maybe, but having to give up atleast 2 first round picks for him AND signing him to a ridiculous contract is just too much when we still have holes to fill on this team.

Elite QB's are going to be making 40+ mil.

If the goal is to get a franchise QB you absolutely do it especially if we have a roster that can compete with said QB.

Either way we have to trade assets if we want Stroud/Young or Lamar/Rodgers.

Rodgers make 50mil a year. This is nothing new franchise QB's get paid.

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Rodgers make 50mil a year. This is nothing new franchise QB's get paid.

Yeah and they're consistently either getting bumped from the playoffs or miss the playoffs entirely because they cant build a team around him because of his contract.

The most valuable thing in the NFL is a GREAT quarterback on a Rookie deal

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’m on mobile and this has become a lot of word salad. I agree with some thing you are saying, but the things I mentioned that you can evaluate specifically in the QB, are just base threshold stuff. Like bare minimum things you need your QB to do if the lights are on mentally. 

These things ensure that the limiting factor isn’t physical.

These things DO NOT mean they will be successful. Just that they should be considered. 

That’s what I meant by that just to clarify. 

Your opinion is that Stroud is a low risk prospect, very low risk it seems. 

My opinion is information is way too incomplete to say that confidently. His team is the best on Saturday. We haven’t seen nearly enough adversity/him being uncomfortable back there like he will be on Sundays.

He may be fine and there is a lot to like. There seems to be a strong indication that if he has the pocket and talent to throw to, he can perform in ideal situations. That’s a start.

I think where we differ, is the amount we are willing to risk to get him based on our opinion of his overall talent level. 

Im not crying at all if we go into the season with a vet/Stroud/Corral in that QB room. I might cry if we can’t add 1st round talent for the duration of his rookie contract though. 

3 minutes ago, tecc86 said:

Yeah and they're consistently either getting bumped from the playoffs or miss the playoffs entirely because they cant build a team around him because of his contract.

The most valuable thing in the NFL is a GREAT quarterback on a Rookie deal

They suck at drafting lol

Packers were never really loaded on offense or defense during the Rodgers era.

• Pie 1