• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Duce Staley's T Drill

Mr. Scot

If you watched the Staley presser today, you probably heard him talk just a bit about the Combine drill that bears his name...though he calls it the "T Drill".

Staley even challenged Sheena Quick to try running it. She says she will sometime next week...after training 😀

This tweet includes a clip of it being run...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

I remember former Bengals DL coach Tim Krumrie once went over to a young prospect and engaged him in some hand fighting to test him. That drill became part of the Combine for a while too after it impressed a lot of coaches and personnel guys.

Unfortunately for us, that little event also helped convince a then Panthers executive that we should draft the player Krumrie had tested.

The player in question was Jason Peter 😖

In middle school the offensive line had a loose ball/fumble drill that we called the T-drill.

1v1, 3 point stance, Coach spikes the ball, contact then recover.

Win you get to take a knee, lose, back of the line.

Last man left had to turn his helmet backwards stand on one leg and chant “It’s me, it’s me, I’m the Big T!”

• Flames 2

25 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

In middle school the offensive line had a loose ball/fumble drill that we called the T-drill.

Last man left had to turn his helmet backwards stand on one leg and chant “It’s me, it’s me, I’m the Big T!”

Ouch 😄

Back when I played, they were still doing things like Oklahoma drills. We also ran something called a "Swedish Trot" that I think was originally conceived as a torture method.

I remember our head coach getting hyped up about a piece of equipment he thought called "The Blaster". It blasted us all right 😆

Ah, the good old days...

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ouch 😄

Back when I played, they were still doing things like Oklahoma drills. We also ran something called a "Swedish Trot" that I think was originally conceived as a torture method.

I remember our head coach getting hyped up about a piece of equipment he thought called "The Blaster". It blasted us all right 😆

Ah, the good old days...

The torture device our coaches used was “Old Smokey”.  A damn near vertical dirt embankment that went from the field back up to the school on top of the hill.  Couldn’t run it, too steep, had to use “all-4”.  Gassers til somebody puked.

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I remember former Bengals DL coach Tim Krumrie once went over to a young prospect and engaged him in some hand fighting to test him. That drill became part of the Combine for a while too after it impressed a lot of coaches and personnel guys.

Unfortunately for us, that little event also helped convince a then Panthers executive that we should draft the player Krumrie had tested.

The player in question was Jason Peter 😖

That’s some deep Panther lore. I’m impressed, Sir

43 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

That’s some deep Panther lore. I’m impressed, Sir

Read about it a little after Peter was drafted but before he was revealed to be a total bust.

Not exactly one of my favorite memories 😆

1 hour ago, L-TownCat said:

The torture device our coaches used was “Old Smokey”.  A damn near vertical dirt embankment that went from the field back up to the school on top of the hill.  Couldn’t run it, too steep, had to use “all-4”.  Gassers til somebody puked.

Yikes😦

Junior high Coach used to have us running sideways on a moderate incline but your story sounds much worse.

And yes, I've puked at practice 😄

Back in high school, we had to do a drill called "bull in the ring". Literally no skill to it. It was just a drill to give high school kids CTE. One person would stand in the middle while the rest of the team circles around him. Coach would call on somebody from the circle to run full speed and bang helmets with the person in the middle. Loved it when I was a kid, feeling the effects from it today lol Really dumb drill

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Castavar said:

Back in high school, we had to do a drill called "bull in the ring". Literally no skill to it. It was just a drill to give high school kids CTE. One person would stand in the middle while the rest of the team circles around him. Coach would call on somebody from the circle to run full speed and bang helmets with the person in the middle. Loved it when I was a kid, feeling the effects from it today lol Really dumb drill

The older I get, the more football just seems like a bad idea. It’s a great spectator sport though 

11 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

We had a similar drill in high school, but involved all players.  Win or lose, though, you got back in line. I tried to be ferocious in fumble drills and usually came up with the ball.  Unfortunately, I broke a teammates arm in the 1-on-1 drill one day. 

But the drill did help as I recovered several fumbles during games.