• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton's tweet deserves own thread

top dawg

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

He's not a turnover machine.

Also there's no way Reich is playing politics, worrying about the leash Tepper is going to give him - he's here to win, end of. 

I said it in the presser thread and I'll say it here too...

Reich was asked about quarterbacks several times. There were only two that he seemed really enthusiastic about.

One of them was Bryce Young, the other was Derek Carr.

The biggest thing I got from actually listening to both pressers is that "all options are on the table" at QB. They're not trying to "patch" the position. They want long term stability.

Like I've been saying, they aren't going to be willy-nilly with resources as confirmed by Fitterer. Also, confirmed by Fitterer, as I've been saying, if you move up in the draft to get a guy, "you better be right." You better have some "conviction."

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I said it in the presser thread and I'll say it here too...

Reich was asked about quarterbacks several times. There were only two that he seemed really enthusiastic about.

One of them was Bryce Young, the other was Derek Carr.

I think it was because he was asked about those 2 specifically.  I didn't come away thinking he preferred either over any of the other options. I could hear (although just barely) almost all of the questions he was asked in his press conference. His response that i heard on those two came from specific questions on what he thought of each. I never heard him asked about any other qb.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think it was because he was asked about those 2 specifically.  I didn't come away thinking he preferred either over any of the other options. I could hear (although just barely) almost all of the questions he was asked in his press conference. His response that i heard on those two came from specific questions on what he thought of each. I never heard him asked about any other qb.

From listening to the actual presser, you're spot on.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yeah Right Judging You GIF

Let's put it this way...

One thread was for tracking news on a quarterback the Panthers are interested in.

Another was saying "Hey, y'all need to pay attention to this thing that David Newton said."

I can think of very few situations where that second statement would be true.

Hell, you're probably could have just put that tweet in the Carr watch thread.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can tell you what I got out of the presser...

1) Both Frank Reich and Scott Fitterer like David Carr. Between the two, Reich sounded more eager and effusive but that's kinda to be expected since it's not his job to worry about what he's getting paid.

2) Fitterer might have tipped his hand a little bit on one thing: If They did sign Derek Carr, they're probably not going to use their first round pick on a quarterback. If they draft a player, the vet would likely be a bridge type.

3) Perhaps most important, those decisions haven't been made yet, but they're being discussed. It could end up going either way.

To me it sounds like they ideally want to trade up before FA starts and if they can’t get a deal done Carr is the fallback.

55 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's not a turnover machine.

Also there's no way Reich is playing politics, worrying about the leash Tepper is going to give him - he's here to win, end of. 

It looks like only two players (Prescott and Mills) threw more INTs than Carr last year.  His QBR and Rating were both only 1 point higher than Fields who is far from a complete product as a passer and that's with Carr have the best WR in the league.  Only 5 players threw more INTs than Carr in 2021.  There is an argument to be made he has a TO issue.  I have nothing against Carr, but those 14 INTs a year were higher than I was expecting from him at this point in his career.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

He is, but that's kinda the point.

Newton's not a reliable source because he has a tendency to interpret things incorrectly.

I never go by what Newton says unless it's corroborated by others.

David Newton is about as dumb as they come. Anything from his mouth is probably more likely to be untrue than true.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Let's put it this way...

One thread was for tracking news on a quarterback the Panthers are interested in.

Another was saying "Hey, y'all need to pay attention to this thing that David Newton said."

I can think of very few situations where that second statement would be true.

Hell, you're probably could have just put that tweet in the Carr watch thread.

Funny that I don't remember a Bridgewater, Darnold, or Mayfield Watch thread. That's the kind of thread for when something is near imminent.

I'm not into clowning reporters, but That's just me. I could've clowned Nolan Nawrocki when you were holding him up in such high esteem when he reported an incredible character assassination of Cam Newton, but I chose serious rebuttals. Just saying.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Funny that I don't remember a Bridgewater, Darnold, or Mayfield Watch thread. That's the kind of thread for when something is near imminent.

I'm not into clowning reporters, but That's just me. I could've clowned Nolan Nawrocki when you were holding him up in such high esteem when he reported an incredible character assassination of Cam Newton, but I chose serious rebuttals. Just saying.

Pretty sure there were several Mayfield threads last year (not by me, though).

Carr is the highest profile free agent we've looked at in several years.

As to David Newton, well he's no Hondo...

Edited by Mr. Scot