• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much is too much to trade?

ncfan

The reason I ask.  While I like Young.  I love Stroud as well.

and seeing Daniel Jeremiah saying Stroud had one of the best sessions he’s seen at the combine.

We’ve also seen our new QB coach on record of comparing Stroud to Burrow.

We also heard in press conferences recently where Reich said McCown has sat down and talked QBs with Reich.

Now as far as trade

We heard the rumors the last 2 years with the Watson saga.  That we could offer up to a ridiculous 3 1sts and some defensive starters like Burns, Brown, Chinn.

I don’t know what the final offer got to from us.  And we’ll never know.  But we do know the thing that made Tepper pull out was the $$$ he was wanting.  With Stroud, it’s the opposite.  That rookie deal is something that adds to the attraction 

Now knowing that we have a 

top 5-10 young edge rusher (we can have that argument elsewhere), and I am certain he will be extended.

we have a stable big interior DL guy in Brown

we have a #1 shut down CB

we have a #1 WR

we have a good young LT along with a fairly good Young OL with one of the top OL coaches in the NFL.

We have a elite staff on paper.  With a good track record with QBs.  Creating a perfect cacoon for a young QB.

So if our staff feels Stroud is a Burrow level QB.

How much is Too much picks to trade for him?

Now I know the other argument of other holes.  But those holes aren’t at big foundation pieces like I listed above.  And this is where that Franchise QB on the rookie deal comes in handy.  Allowing more flexibility in FA to fill those other filler pieces.  

So how much is to much?

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 2

It's just a massive risk. It's basically an all-in type of move. If you take the big swing and get a big hit you'll never regret it. But if you take the big swing and whiff hard it's gonna really hurt watching some other team make those high picks while you're still sitting there desperately wanting a QB.

My body is ready though. We've seen where playing it safe has gotten us. Identify a guy. Take the swing. It's very rare to have a team sitting at #1 not desperately needing a QB.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's just a massive risk. It's basically an all-in type of move. If you take the big swing and get a big hit you'll never regret it. But if you take the big swing and whiff hard it's gonna really hurt watching some other team make those high picks while you're still sitting there desperately wanting a QB.

My body is ready though. We've seen where playing it safe has gotten us. Identify a guy. Take the swing. It's very rare to have a team sitting at #1 not desperately needing a QB.

It is a big risk.  But it’s not like we’re taking one with a empty roster.  This is the same roster that was a quarter away from winning the division with Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and Baker rotating in at QB.  With the division getting a couple games head start with Rhule starting g the year as HC.

You need a top QB in this sport if your goal is to compete for championships (and I’m not talking Division titles).  The only way your getting one of those is licking you and getting a top 2 pick in a good QB class.  Or taking a big swing.  The days of Aaron Rodger falling to the the bottom of the 1st are gone.  It’s too thirsty of a league for QBs.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, ncfan said:

It is a big risk.  But it’s not like we’re taking one with a empty roster.  This is the same roster that was a quarter away from winning the division with Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and Baker rotating in at QB.  With the division getting a couple games head start with Rhule starting g the year as HC.

You need a top QB in this sport if your goal is to compete for championships (and I’m not talking Division titles).  The only way your getting one of those is licking you and getting a top 2 pick in a good QB class.  Or taking a big swing.  The days of Aaron Rodger falling to the the bottom of the 1st are gone.  It’s too thirsty of a league for QBs.

50cd2a08-2446-4158-a729-0e96d02b7d30_tex

5 minutes ago, toldozer said:

If we can get there by giving up this whole draft and someone like Chinn I'd do it. Otherwise I'd rather go with brisett or darnold with corral this year and go bpa at 9. Or move up to 5 for both 2nds this year and get AR or stroud

Then what do you do next year? I think teams are going to be very aggressive this year because there's good QBs available and deals to potentially be made. I think they're all working under the assumption that Drake Maye and Caleb Williams are the top two picks next year and there's gonna be no trading for those picks.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

The only way you’re getting one of those is licking you and getting a top 2 pick in a good QB class.  Or taking a big swing.  The days of Aaron Rodger falling to the the bottom of the 1st are gone.

That’s FOMO and desperation talking. That’s simply not the case. 

Hopefully our front office keeps a level head. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Brock Purdy would like a word. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, toldozer said:

If we can get there by giving up this whole draft and someone like Chinn I'd do it. Otherwise I'd rather go with brisett or darnold with corral this year and go bpa at 9. Or move up to 5 for both 2nds this year and get AR or stroud

My original post was regarding Stroud not Young.  And I don’t think we get to 1 for Young.  This is about moving up to 3 or 2 (if the bears move with the Texans)

If you don’t move to 3 and get one.  What’s the plan?  Bpa at 9 and roll with Darnold.  Then what’s the plan going forward?  Because you will be picking 22 range next year as Scott Fitterer said.  And if you think the price to move from 9 is a lot.  What do you think it’ll be to move from outside the top 20?

3 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

That’s FOMO and desperation talking. That’s simply not the case. 

Hopefully our front office keeps a level head. 

How is it?

you saying this isn’t a QB thirsty league. I’d love to see the data to prove otherwise.