• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking: Lamar Jackson is available as Raven's have placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on him.

thunderraiden

Other than the PCL sprain, has Lamar Jackson really been injured enough to inhibit him? Last year there were rumors that he was fine to play, but had no incentive as injuring himself could limit his career earnings by potentially tens of millions of dollars.

10 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

I love the “MVP” tag he’s got floating around his name when folks try and create an argument on the basis of why he should be signed to a mega deal.

With his injury history, playoff wins, playing style, and the fact that he recently quit on a playoff team - he’s no more of an “MVP” quarterback at this point than Cam Newton or Matt Ryan.

IMHO Lamar still has a lot to offer and under the right conditions could still easily flourish as an NFL QB. 

Unfortunately, Jackson has made crucial error by representing himself rather than hiring an agent.  I believe that decision alone has undermined and delayed an agreement with Ravens management on a new contract.  With a long term contract signed, sealed and delivered, Lamar most likely suits up vs. the Bengals and Ravens win that playoff game.

Instead, Lamar now appears disloyal to the organization and his teammates, difficult in contract negotiations and soft when it comes to dealing with injuries.  Of course, none of that may actually be true, but appearances can easily be misconstrued as reality and result in having a negative impact on Lamar's value to the Ravens or another team.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

29 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

I love the “MVP” tag he’s got floating around his name when folks try and create an argument on the basis of why he should be signed to a mega deal.

With his injury history, playoff wins, playing style, and the fact that he recently quit on a playoff team - he’s no more of an “MVP” quarterback at this point than Cam Newton or Matt Ryan.

When you win a MVP it goes down in history my man.

What is with some of you guys trying to hate on Lamar Jackson. Like you look real goofy trying to talk down on a player who has won 75% of his games as a starter. Let it go it's nothing you can really say other than he is injury prone. Dude is a winner point blank. 

I don't like plenty of QB's but im not going to down them when they already proven as elite QB's.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

IMHO Lamar still has a lot to offer and under the right conditions could still easily flourish as an NFL QB. 

Unfortunately, Jackson has made crucial error by representing himself rather than hiring an agent.  I believe that decision alone has undermined and delayed an agreement with Ravens management on a new contract.  With a long term contract signed, sealed and delivered, Lamar most likely suits up vs. the Bengals and Ravens win that playoff game.

Instead, Lamar now appears disloyal to the organization and his teammates, difficult in contract negotiations and soft when it comes to dealing with injuries.  Of course, none of that may actually be true, but appearances can easily be misconstrued as reality and result in having a negative impact on Lamar's value to the Ravens or another team.

I think his teammates and the players understand. After RG III I think it made a lot of these guys more cautious with what they were willing to do for their teams, especially when it comes to ligament injuries. They know Lamar hasn't really been paid for what he's done in the NFL yet.

I think a majority of the players see Jackson's side when it comes to sitting out the playoffs while he didn't have a contract.

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I think his teammates and the players understand. After RG III I think it made a lot of these guys more cautious with what they were willing to do for their teams, especially when it comes to ligament injuries. They know Lamar hasn't really been paid for what he's done in the NFL yet.

I think a majority of the players see Jackson's side when it comes to sitting out the playoffs while he didn't have a contract.

Agreed.  

However, contract in hand, I believe Lamar wins the playoff game against the Bengals and this whole discussion about him never takes place.

It all comes down to Lamar not having an agent.

• Pie 3

25 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

But part of the reason he hasn't been paid is he never hired an agent from day 1. After year 3, an agent would have already been negotiating an extension with a significant pay increase. You can't expect others to feel sorry for you when all you've done is shoot yourself in the foot the entire time. He's lost more money than he's saved trying to do it all without a professional. Know your limitations. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

33 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I wouldn't guarantee that.

There are likely some that do, but there are others who would tell you that they'll support your quest to get as much for yourself as you possibly can... But only up to the point where it affects their ability to do the same.

Anyone who feels like he could have played and didn't is likely going to have it in the back of their mind that they might have a playoff victory, or more, on their resumé if not for that.

They may not say anything publicly, but then you didn't see a whole lot of public criticism of Russell Wilson either...until he changed teams.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Other than the PCL sprain, has Lamar Jackson really been injured enough to inhibit him? Last year there were rumors that he was fine to play, but had no incentive as injuring himself could limit his career earnings by potentially tens of millions of dollars.

No incentive?  How about 1) you're being paid to play unless you are truly injured, which, if true, is tantamount to theft; it can also be prosecuted as compensation fraud if provable, 2) personal integrity.  I'll admit that I'm old school and, apparently, honesty and integrity are no longer virtues and now considered passe'.

No wonder teams won't touch him.  He's destroyed his own brand.

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

No incentive?  How about 1) you're being paid to play unless you are truly injured, which, if true, is tantamount to theft; it can also be prosecuted as compensation fraud if provable, 2) personal integrity.  I'll admit that I'm old school and, apparently, honesty and integrity are no longer virtues and now considered passe'.

No wonder teams won't touch him.  He's destroyed his own brand.

The days of players destroying their bodies to benefit billionaires without proper compensation seems to be fading. The idea a player would risk their career to possibly win a game isn't logical when they've yet to be paid.

There's a reason the Ravens already reportedly already made Lamar Jackson an obscene offer, and it isn't because he's not worth it and the best years are behind him. At the same time there's a reason why a lot of players have been vocally supporting him on Twitter.

The NFL is a business, and I don't blame players for starting to think of it as the owners do.

Edited by Krovvy