• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Number One or Number Two

Mr. Scot

(not the question you think, ya bastards) 😡

Excerpts from Joe Person's story in The Athletic regarding the Panthers trade up (Link)

While Fitterer, Tepper, Frank Reich and the team’s other decision-makers met with free-agent quarterback Derek Carr in Indianapolis, they also had discussions about trading up with several teams during the week. The Panthers were comfortable getting to either No. 1 or No. 2 on the draft board, according to a source with knowledge of the trade talks who was provided anonymity so he could speak freely.

That suggests the Panthers feel good about two of the QBs in the group that includes Stroud, Young and Levis, whom Tepper liked after his strong 2021 season in Lexington.

A source said the Panthers would keep their options open as they attend pro days and bring in Stroud, Young, et al for private visits.

And if they reach a point where they feel strongly about two quarterbacks and Houston wants to trade places, the Panthers would consider it, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.

Hmmm 🤔

I took a quick look at the Texans current slate of draft picks and found that besides owning the #2 pick, they also own the #12 spot courtesy of the Cleveland Browns.

That left me wondering...

Keeping in mind that the Panthers are reported to be comfortable with more than one of their top prospects, if the Texans were willing to swap the second and twelfth overall picks for the top spot, would you make that deal?

Why or why not?

Just now, PappyMay said:

I don’t see them giving up 12 for 1 spot. Maybe they’d give up #33 which we could use on a weapon for whichever we take. 

They'd have to believe that we were prepared to take the guy being really wanted. Mind you, if they're also comfortable with more than one option, this doesn't happen.

Person's point though was that if they did want to, the Panthers would talk about it.

Don't know how likely it is, but it's possible.

If we're doing a deal with Houston, the numbers work out to something like we give 1 and 93, and we get 2 and 33.  If we are sold on two QB's, I would do that deal.  I would also WAIT to do that deal until I've had the chance to see all the Pro Days and meet in person with the players.

1 minute ago, Jaxel said:

I don't think they will give up 12 unless they are just absolutely intent on getting their guy. And I am not sure they view the rankings that much different than carolina.

Also possible that over the next month the Panthers come to a point of conviction on one guy rather than multiple, which would also negate any trades.

It's all pretty hypothetical at this point.

Also if Houston realizes Carolina is willing to accept a trade to 2 then obviously it’s because they’re not taking the guy Houston wants. 

Again, no chance Houston or anyone should believe that this new staff and Tepper pushed all their chips in to recoup a 2nd rounder and let Houston decide their QB of the future 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Also if Houston realizes Carolina is willing to accept a trade to 2 then obviously it’s because they’re not taking the guy Houston wants. 

Again, no chance Houston or anyone should believe that this new staff and Tepper pushed all their chips in to recoup a 2nd rounder and let Houston decide their QB of the future 

That's part of the negotiation. You have to sell them on the idea.

Could they? Unknown.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also possible that over the next month the Panthers come to a point of conviction on one guy rather than multiple, which would also negate any trades.

It's all pretty hypothetical at this point.

True. Regardless I'm not swearing an extra second rounder. I'm psyched we get either of the 2. 

Just now, Aussie Tank said:

If we could get that early second to move down a spot Fit killed it. You could trade it and our 2nd and come right back up for JSN to maybe pair with Stroud 

#2 and #34 is a deal I'd probably accept.

I'd push like hell for #2 and #12 first though 😄