• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Senario??

Sub Zero

Personally, I get the appearance that the WR position is a need, but I do not see where it exceeds the need for a CB or Edge rusher (OLB).  TMJ was not developed well here, and when he was used in the second half of 2022, he showed signs of progress.  He had nearly 500 yards during that time.  Shenault was horribly misused last year.  During his first 2 seasons at Jax, he averaged over 600 yards.  Here, his numbers were cut in half (272). 

We added Chark and Thielen, and Smith was a developmental rookie.  If we get the most out of TMJ (he has shown that he is capable of a season in the 800 yard range, and Shenault (also shown to have the ability to get 800 yards) and then there are 2 added WRs who are established veterans, I do not see the urgency to splash into this draft looking for the future #1.  Chark may be a rental, but we will have room under the cap to find a WR 1 if needed.  Not many teams have an ideal roster, and with the addition of a receiving TE, the productivity we lost in Moore should be replaced quite easily--and then some.  Just my 2 c

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

For me it would be Smith or Flowers, I think Smith is an insane value there and probably would take him. I would go Flowers otherwise because I think continuing to give the young QB weapons will pay off more in the long term. I understand our needs at edge and corner, but i'd like to give our QB a young weapon to grow with a bit if i'm being honest. I'd probably go offense with the first three picks if I had my way but I'm sure we'll be adding defense somewhere in there.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Personally, I get the appearance that the WR position is a need, but I do not see where it exceeds the need for a CB or Edge rusher (OLB).  TMJ was not developed well here, and when he was used in the second half of 2022, he showed signs of progress.  He had nearly 500 yards during that time.  Shenault was horribly misused last year.  During his first 2 seasons at Jax, he averaged over 600 yards.  Here, his numbers were cut in half (272). 

We added Chark and Thielen, and Smith was a developmental rookie.  If we get the most out of TMJ (he has shown that he is capable of a season in the 800 yard range, and Shenault (also shown to have the ability to get 800 yards) and then there are 2 added WRs who are established veterans, I do not see the urgency to splash into this draft looking for the future #1.  Chark may be a rental, but we will have room under the cap to find a WR 1 if needed.  Not many teams have an ideal roster, and with the addition of a receiving TE, the productivity we lost in Moore should be replaced quite easily--and then some.  Just my 2 c

Second half of Marshall’s year wasn’t almost 500 yards. I get that you think he’s got more upside than me (I dreamt of Humphrey there in an OL heavy draft), but he had 201 yards in his first 6 games and 289 yards in his last 8. He missed 3 games as well (had no targets against Giants). That’s not really almost 500 yards during the second half when he was used more. He averaged 2.5 yards per game more in the last 8 versus the first 6, so it really didn’t change much at all except that he missed games early.

If Charl stays healthy, I don’t see Marshall doing much this year as WR3.

7 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I’d take less of an instant impact in year 1 to get a potential #1 WR to pair as rookies with the QB and have them grow together.

We don’t have a first next year and it’s easier to find a top pass rusher in free agency than a top WR, if Flowers is there you gotta take him and make DE priority one next year with all that cap room.

Cool … Jmo having a elite pass rush is more impactful then a WR..

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

We signed 3--Anderson, Williams, and Tuttle. We currently have Brown, McCall and Roy--I think we will use YGM in the DE position on passing downs, so there is that too (possibly)

Anderson and Williams are just on one year deals.  Basically to help with the transition to a 3-4, which both of them have played in with prior teams.  They will be playing end rather than DT.

I'm taking Flowers, but he likely won't be there.  I'm honestly taking the top TE at #39 and don't really care that it's not listed in the few positions in this particular mock scenario.  The best four TEs are all top 40 prospects, so at least one will be there.

That's my favorite mock simulator but it has some guys underrated after the combine. Nolan is one for sure. Flowers, Mazi Smith, Deonte Banks and Forbes are all usually available at 39.  I don't think they will in reality. BJ, Carter, and Jack Campbell have slowly became my favorites cause they may actually make it to us.  

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I'm with ya. I think your 2c is worth more. I'll add my penny thought. Our offense is going to develop so quickly with better coaching and playcalling. Miles and Hurst additions are being so underrated. Lots of folks have a hard on for shiny new toys at TE and WR in the draft but I actually have some faith TMJ and Tremble will improve with more opportunity and a consistent playmaker at QB. I wanted Gibbs or Robinson till we signed Miles. I adapted. Hurst and Chark pick ups are similar cause they made upgrades in the draft a luxury. Let's get the pieces to run this aggressive fast and dangerous 3-4 that most of the league have adopted. We need to start grooming eventual successors for Shaq and Jackson.  So corner and ILB are actually more important to me. Just my big fat nickle worth. Give me a corner across from Horn and a bruiser ILB please over a TE or WR.  The trade for numero uno was the "sexy" part of the draft.  I want a swing tackle that can eventually replace Moton if need be that can play guard this year. It's a nice skill position draft but Linebackers, Edge, DL and Corners are deep and can be productive quick. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

I'm with ya. I think your 2c is worth more. I'll add my penny thought. Our offense is going to develop so quickly with better coaching and playcalling. Miles and Hurst additions are being so underrated. Lots of folks have a hard on for shiny new toys at TE and WR in the draft but I actually have some faith TMJ and Tremble will improve with more opportunity and a consistent playmaker at QB. I wanted Gibbs or Robinson till we signed Miles. I adapted. Hurst and Chark pick ups are similar cause they made upgrades in the draft a luxury. Let's get the pieces to run this aggressive fast and dangerous 3-4 that most of the league have adopted. We need to start grooming eventual successors for Shaq and Jackson.  So corner and ILB are actually more important to me. Just my big fat nickle worth. Give me a corner across from Horn and a bruiser ILB please over a TE or WR.  The trade for numero uno was the "sexy" part of the draft.  I want a swing tackle that can eventually replace Moton if need be that can play guard this year. It's a nice skill position draft but Linebackers, Edge, DL and Corners are deep and can be productive quick. 

It’s interesting that Shaq and Donte have two years left and are 28 and 29 and you want to groom but Chark having a 1 year deal and Thielen being 32 and Hurst being 29, adding a rookie would be a luxury. After Chark, Thielen and Hurst we don’t have a single TE/WR with even a 500 yard season. I’d say we have a lot more depth at CB/LB in terms of experience behind Shaq and Donte than Chark, Thielen and Hurst. CJ and Taylor are just as seasoned as Thomas and Tremble and if Chinn moves to LB, who knows.

I think a TE would be the best pick at 39, because I think you could be getting a stud, probably 1st rounder other years TE at 39. I don’t really like the 1st round WRs this year so I feel like 39 is a reach at WR.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It’s interesting that Shaq and Donte have two years left and are 28 and 29 and you want to groom but Chark having a 1 year deal and Thielen being 32 and Hurst being 29, adding a rookie would be a luxury. After Chark, Thielen and Hurst we don’t have a single TE/WR with even a 500 yard season. I’d say we have a lot more depth at CB/LB in terms of experience behind Shaq and Donte than Chark, Thielen and Hurst. CJ and Taylor are just as seasoned as Thomas and Tremble and if Chinn moves to LB, who knows.

I think a TE would be the best pick at 39, because I think you could be getting a stud, probably 1st rounder other years TE at 39. I don’t really like the 1st round WRs this year so I feel like 39 is a reach at WR.

You lost me saying CJ Henderson and Taylor are viable corners. Theilen, Charm and Hurst are not bandaids they are upgrades that give us time to develop Tremble and TMJ.  I also think Shenault and Shi are not lost causes many do. Im hoping Brandon Smith develops but the linebacker group is weak. Donte's bread and butter has always been his speed but after that ACL that might be just bread. Shaq is great but he needs a young buck to run with. Agree to disagree but flashy picks like TE when you have a young guy already there to develop behind a vet is a luxury.  Developing new starters at weak depth like our linebackers and Corners is how you build a defense that can dominate. Chinn at linebacker would give us two smallish guys.  We need to try and get that Micah Parsons new school oversized type. Drew Carter and Jack Campbell are those types. Giving Horn a guy across from him for the long haul also builds the future. I like Two tight end set too but I also want to see some usage and distribution of the ball at WR and RB. I mean how many targets do you think there are to go around?  Hurst,Thielen, Chark, and TMJ are gonna be the primary guys after that let Tremble, Shi, Shenault get in on the action and see what we got with them. I've seen CJ and Taylor get playing time and honestly they might need to be regulated to less. 

• Flames 1

16 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

You lost me saying CJ Henderson and Taylor are viable corners. Theilen, Charm and Hurst are not bandaids they are upgrades that give us time to develop Tremble and TMJ.  I also think Shenault and Shi are not lost causes many do. Im hoping Brandon Smith develops but the linebacker group is weak. Donte's bread and butter has always been his speed but after that ACL that might be just bread. Shaq is great but he needs a young buck to run with. Agree to disagree but flashy picks like TE when you have a young guy already there to develop behind a vet is a luxury.  Developing new starters at weak depth like our linebackers and Corners is how you build a defense that can dominate. Chinn at linebacker would give us two smallish guys.  We need to try and get that Micah Parsons new school oversized type. Drew Carter and Jack Campbell are those types. Giving Horn a guy across from him for the long haul also builds the future. I like Two tight end set too but I also want to see some usage and distribution of the ball at WR and RB. I mean how many targets do you think there are to go around?  Hurst,Thielen, Chark, and TMJ are gonna be the primary guys after that let Tremble, Shi, Shenault get in on the action and see what we got with them. I've seen CJ and Taylor get playing time and honestly they might need to be regulated to less. 

Didn’t say they were good, just that we have a lot of starts and experience in our CB room compared to our WR/TE depth. Chark is on a 1 year deal, he’s a bandaid. Thielen is 32 and Hurst is 29, they aren’t long term solutions. We don’t have a single guy behind them with a 500 yard season besides Shenault who seems to be a one trick pony and was let go by a team with a rookie QB.

We need to groom WR/TE spots as much as CB/LB.

WalterFootball projects the Panthers to take Will McDonald DE, Iowa State.

• panthersb_logo.gif Carolina Panthers: Will McDonald, DE, Iowa State Iowa State

Carolina's pass rush wasn't the same after the team lost Haason Reddick to the Eagles. A replacement is needed.

Will McDonald is a fast and athletic edge rusher.