• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just for the sake of discussion, is there a correlation between size and injury?

rayzor

7 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I like and can see where you’re coming from with that metaphor, but I’ll counter with another. 

Bryce is like a first child learning to walk. It feels like you had to protect them from everything and hold your breath in close calls. Sure, they took some hard falls and maybe there was an occasional injury, but in the end they weren’t as fragile as it seemed. Young people are built to withstand a lot, and Bryce is a 21 yo athlete with more lean muscle mass than 44 yo Tom Brady who went through NFL seasons fine. 

I get it...

Young is damn near prototypical of what I like in a quarterback. Accuracy, intelligence, processing...the whole deal.

Do I feel like it might be unfair to be scared of drafting him because of his frame? Yeah.

Am I still scared of drafting him because of his frame?

Yeah 😟

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get it...

Young is damn near prototypical of what I like in a quarterback. Accuracy, intelligence, processing...the whole deal.

Do I feel like it might be unfair to be scared of drafting him because of his frame? Yeah.

Am I still scared of drafting him because of his frame?

Yeah 😟

Another issue is he doesn't really play Brady ball.  Brady is a pocket passer who gets the ball out quick.  You don't see him running around extending plays very often.  It's a double edged sword because it is also what makes Young special, but it could lead to extra hits on his leaner frame.  Do you taper that style down at the next level or just let Young be Young and risk injuries?  It's a tough call...

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Another issue is he doesn't really play Brady ball.  Brady is a pocket passer who gets the ball out quick.  You don't see him running around extending plays very often.  It's a double edged sword because it is also what makes Young special, but it could lead to extra hits on his leaner frame.  Do you taper that style down at the next level or just let Young be Young and risk injuries?  It's a tough call...

My preference right now is Stroud.

Young to me is that guy you really want to like but just can't get past the one big issue.

27 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Bryce is like a first child learning to walk. It feels like you had to protect them from everything and hold your breath in close calls. Sure, they took some hard falls and maybe there was an occasional injury, but in the end they weren’t as fragile as it seemed. Young people are built to withstand a lot, and Bryce is a 21 yo athlete with more lean muscle mass than 44 yo Tom Brady who went through NFL seasons fine. 

You sound like you're his Mother...

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My preference right now is Stroud.

Young to me is that guy you really want to like but just can't get past the one big issue.

Same.  To me Stroud isn't much behind Young in processing and has just as good accuracy.  Those 2 are definitely a tier above the rest but one would just be taking a bit of a risk being a size outlier at the next level.  

Now if our staff choses Young I will be all in and excited as well.  Both are great prospects IMO.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Same.  To me Stroud isn't much behind Young in processing and has just as good accuracy.  Those 2 are definitely a tier above the rest but one would just be taking a bit of a risk being a size outlier at the next level.  

Now if our staff choses Young I will be all in and excited as well.  Both are great prospects IMO.

Side Note: A while back you kept insisting that I needed to make a decision on who I wanted at quarterback. Happy now? 😄

Seriously though, prior drafts haven't really had anybody that I felt that good about.

While I'll grant this year's top two guys aren't necessarily generational players, I do feel good about them.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

35 minutes ago, frankw said:

You sound like you're his Mother...

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Trying to describe how some helicopter fans thinking Bryce is some fragile infant are being foolish. I’ve literally seen posts on here saying they’ll hold their breath when Bryce is being tackled. lol

Who’s being fragile? You and others who want us to draft out of fear.

Edited by ECHornet

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Side Note: A while back you kept insisting that I needed to make a decision on who I wanted at quarterback. Happy now? 😄

Seriously though, prior drafts haven't really had anybody that I felt that good about.

While I'll grant this year's top two guys aren't necessarily generational players, I do feel good about them.

Good News Yes GIF by Bounce

people talk about Brees and Brady and about their ability to get the ball out quickly and that prolonged their career. 

Young is uber mobile and hyper aware of his surroundings and he's well known for being a fast processor and that has helped save his butt, i'm sure, on more than a few occassions.

Consider this...what makes anyone think that Young wouldn't be just as able to get the ball out faster the way other great QBs have learned to? 

What if he was just as smart and able to get the ball out quickly just like those other great QBs and he could still do all the other Young stuff we've seen him do?

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

people talk about Brees and Brady and about their ability to get the ball out quickly and that prolonged their career. 

Young is uber mobile and hyper aware of his surroundings and he's well known for being a fast processor and that has helped save his butt, i'm sure, on more than a few occassions.

Consider this...what makes anyone think that Young wouldn't be just as able to get the ball out faster the way other great QBs have learned to? 

What if he was just as smart and able to get the ball out quickly just like those other great QBs and he could still do all the other Young stuff we've seen him do?

Thats all well and good but he is still going to get hit.  He is still going to get flushed from the pocket etc.  I dont think anyone is doubting how good of a qb he is, its just the anxiety of him playing 17+ games for 5+ years.   No matter how fast he gets the ball out or how he processes he is still going to get whacked a bunch and for me personally I just dont see his frame holding up

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It's a valid argument.

Other things being equal, I'll take a fast processor over a more mobile QB ten times out of ten.

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats all well and good but he is still going to get hit.  He is still going to get flushed from the pocket etc.  I dont think anyone is doubting how good of a qb he is, its just the anxiety of him playing 17+ games for 5+ years.   No matter how fast he gets the ball out or how he processes he is still going to get whacked a bunch and for me personally I just dont see his frame holding up

Can't live in fear. Got to swing for the fences and take a chance. We've seen players of all sizes have injuries happen that shorten their career and you can't predict really any of them. What if he takes a crazy hit and his career ends in 2 years? But what if he doesn't take any serious injuries and he plays at Mahommes level or better for a 10-15 years? 

If he's capable of doing great things...you've got to focus on that.