• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did we get worse at the TDL

Panthers Fan 69

7 hours ago, backINblack28 said:

at this point, every team that sold future assets for a deadline move is eliminated. I don't think it's fair to label this season a failure at this point no matter where it ends, because the story for me ever since we advanced past first round is that we are doing whatever is our end while missing 3 60+ point forwards (hopefully just 2 going forward). that's not something you can plan for. yes, we could have made a move, but if you make those moves and sell those assets and then have similar injuries and get held back anyway--you mortgaged your future for tee times a la boston/new jersey/tampa etc.  At this point, the GM not giving up future assets and us making the conference final with major injuries is an outright win no matter what. considering it an abject failure is ignoring immense context and pretty unfair.

No other team has Rod BrindAmour. He would get the best out of anybody. We shouldve added more. We already had injuries to our top lines and to do nothing I still think was a huge mistake.

The fact Waddell also never took into consideration how shaky the team is even with everyone healthy and that any injuries to our top guys would be significant for us is mind boggling. Just look at our history, we lose guys in the playoffs due to dirty play.  

We are lucky we havent had to face a goon team like the Bruins or the Rangers. Especially the Rangers with their goalie tender. I dont see us moving past them if they beat the Devils. 

This team, and some fans, like to talk the talk, but what they have done so far is not good enough. It will never be good enough until we hoist the Cup above our heads. Like I said, Waddell basically said we are going to win it with what we have. So do it, or else we should be looking at another GM that can add to the team when we need him to.

Edited by KillerKat

1 minute ago, KillerKat said:

No other team has Rod BrindAmour. He would get the best out of anybody. We shouldve added more. We already had injuries to our top lines and to do nothing I still think was a huge mistake.

The fact Waddell also never took into consideration how shaky the team is even with everyone healthy and that any injuries to our top guys would be significant for us is mind boggling. Just look at our history, we lose guys in the playoffs due to dirty play.  

We are lucky we havent had to face a goon team like the Bruins or the Rangers. Especially the Rangers with their goalie tender. I dont see us moving past them if they beat the Devils. 

This team, and some fans, like to talk the talk, but what they have done so far is not good enough. It will never be good enough until we hoist the Cup above our heads. Like I said, Waddell basically said we are going to win it with what we have. So do it, or else we should be looking at another GM that can add to the team when we need him to.

Just curious are you missing the past where 26/27 moves by playoff contention teams are out of the dance?  

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

My only gripe about all this, is that we finished with the second best record in the NHL. It’s really hard to tinker with what has worked. Other than Timo, Tarensinko, and O’Reily who could have made instant contributions with our style of play (tight defensively)?

Edited by philit99
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, philit99 said:

My only gripe about all this, is that we finished with the second best record in the NHL. It’s really hard to tinker with what has worked. Other than Timo, Tarensinko, and O’Reily who could have made instant contributions with our style of play (tight defensively)?

No, in hindsight the only player that would have been beneficial was Horvat. A net front champ. I was on the Kane train cause I thought Kane would have bought into rods system, which he probably would have, but Horvat was the long play. 

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, philit99 said:

It was tinkered with when Svech was injured and we lost him for the season. After he went out we struggled a lot but managed to keep 2nd in the league.

I still think we win the Cup.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, Harbingers said:

No, in hindsight the only player that would have been beneficial was Horvat. A net front champ. I was on the Kane train cause I thought Kane would have bought into rods system, which he probably would have, but Horvat was the long play. 

and Horvat right now at 8.5m for 8 yr already looks like garbage/an absolute fireable offense.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

On 5/17/2023 at 6:19 PM, Harbingers said:

I would add that Nino could have been had.....the Jets got him, but I think he would have been a solid addition to the team.  He also knew exactly what was expected and how we play!

He was very affordable too!

Would he have made a difference?  I am not sure, but he scored a lot of dirty goals which would be welcome right now.

• Pie 1

On 5/22/2023 at 1:39 AM, Stumpy said:

It wasn't the trade deadline that made us worse...

lol

Aho hasn't been scoring, but no one really has.  I am not going to place all the blame on Aho because the Canes are a score by committee team.

He's played about as well as anyone on the team has besides our goalies.  His defense has been great and most of his passes and shots have had purpose. 

I've seen a lot of crazy ass passes and plays from the Canes in the last three games that are really uncharacteristic.  I don't know when we'll learn that cross ice passes aren't being allowed by Florida and you don't ALWAYS have to make an extra pass to get the puck on goal.  It's infuriating seeing our guys give up shots to make an extra pass or try a cute little move only to lose possession or pass it off to a guy who shoots it right into the legs of the defender.  

• Pie 2

Aho was straight incredible last night and likely would have literally had a hat trick against any other goalie. Literally cannot even entertain criticism of him right now. After the puck to the face in the NYI series, I want him to wear a C even if J Staal comes back. It's his time.

• Flames 1