• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

Just now, rayzor said:

I don't think people are saying there is zero risk. I know I'm not. I just know that he won't be anymore likely to get hurt than Cam was. In fact Young will probably be more able to avoid injuries because of the way he manages himself. 

But you can never predict a catastrophic hit from a TJ Watt kind of guy or the open season allowed by refs on Cam against the Broncos in the Superbowl and the season opener the following season, but when those do happen, it won't matter... apparently...how big you are. 

Oh I 100% agree with you, I'm just saying taking this data and assuming it always continues in a downward trend probably not correct. Do I know the magic number? No. Does anyone assuming Bryce is automatically hurt in the NFL? No.

Is it fair to pass on a better QB because of something backed by 0 data, not in my eyes, sounds like a way to always be average.

2 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Young is less durable because he holds on the ball for so long in order to make the big play, whereas Stroud emulates Brees and tries to get the ball out very quickly while still in the pocket

Young is the better QB all things considered, but I am concerned about injuries to that throwing shoulder. He also puts a lot of oomph into throwing with his shoulder, whereas Stroud the ball just kind of glides out of his hands.

Less durable based on opinion. There; s no evidence to support that Young has any durability issues. When has he been hurt? When has he demonstrated that he is not durable?

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Who isn't making that argument?

That's not the question. The question who is making the argument up to the point where it excludes Young from their boards.

Obviously if people have Young as their number one QB (some the best player overall), then they're not using his size as a determining argument .

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Less durable based on opinion. There; s no evidence to support that Young has any durability issues. When has he been hurt? When has he demonstrated that he is not durable?

Wasn’t he just hurt enough that he couldn’t do drills or throw at the combine?

• Beer 1

Just now, rayzor said:

Yes, its my opinion. If you constantly take big hits and get driven to the ground by a defensive player, it naturally means less durability. Andrew Luck, same thing. Kyler Murray, same thing. Really the only QB that Young plays like that has been very durable is Russell Wilson. So there is precedence that Young can overcome the big hits and being pile driven into the ground.

I'm aware that he hasn't had durability issues so far. I'm also not making this into a Stroud vs. Young debate, as I like both QB's and would be thrilled with either one.

• Beer 1

Just now, stan786 said:

You have a report he said he was too hurt to throw at the combine?

I have a report he was too soft and not competitive enough to run or throw against the other guys in the class while he ballooned up with water weight to pretend he weighs 200 pounds.

I have a report that says he was injured during the season and missed time. 

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

Wasn’t he just hurt enough that he couldn’t do drills or throw at the combine?

Was that what they were saying to cover up for the fact that he was carrying 15 pounds of water weight and he'd start barfing all it it up if he started running?

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Again, where is the evidence that a smaller QB is more prone to injury than a bigger one. 

Hint...you aren't going to find it because there isn't any.

The reason there is no evidence that a smaller QB is more prone to injury than a bigger one could be because smaller QB's never make it to the NFL level, which could be evidence in itself.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I have a report he was too soft and not competitive enough to run or throw against the other guys in the class while he ballooned up with water weight to pretend he weighs 200 pounds.

I have a report that says he was injured during the season and missed time. 

I have a report CJ Stroud got injured and missed a game for the same thing. Is he immediately hurt when he gets to the NFL.

If teams didnt draft QBs who choose to skip throwing at the combine they'd have missed a ton of great prospects its not even the slightest bit weird or unheard of.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Yes, its my opinion. If you constantly take big hits and get driven to the ground by a defensive player, it naturally means less durability. Andrew Luck, same thing. Kyler Murray, same thing. Really the only QB that Young plays like that has been very durable is Russell Wilson. So there is precedence that Young can overcome the big hits and being pile driven into the ground.

I'm aware that he hasn't had durability issues so far. I'm also not making this into a Stroud vs. Young debate, as I like both QB's and would be thrilled with either one.

But size didn't matter. You take hits and you're going to feel it, regardless of your size. There is no accurate predictor of injuries regardless of size aside from an actual injury history, and even then it's still a weak predictor. 

• Pie 1

Just now, stan786 said:

I have a report CJ Stroud got injured and missed a game for the same thing. Is he immediately hurt when he gets to the NFL.

If teams didnt draft QBs who choose to skip throwing at the combine they'd have missed a ton of great prospects its not even the slightest bit weird or unheard of.

It’s weird when everyone else in the class throws and you’re just standing there doing nothing. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1