• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3-4 scheme

ericr0319

oops left the quote out sorry

23 minutes ago, RJK said:

I think they’ll be able to rush the passer with a lot of success…but if the opponent lines up and runs it down their throat not much resistance there. Hopefully the draft and late camp cuts fills out the middle of the D

Yeah good points. And I am not much past reasoning it will take time to get it right team wide (always does), plus you have to get the roster adjusted. I know they have brought in some guys they hope work out. The D probably will be pretty loose early on. Haven’t seen who we play the first few games. 

Edited by stratocatter

6 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Chinn is not a base 3-4 LB 

It depends if we 2-gap or 1-gap with the DLine. If he's allowed to run free he'll cause havoc. If he's asked to take on blocks by iOL he'll get murdered.

He's certainly not a S in the NFL either. 

What he is though is a playmaker when played close to the line. We'd be moronic to trade him away instead of finding a position to use him.

Edited by OldhamA

For those who keep saying Chinn doesn’t have a role, watch tape of Josey Jewell this past season in Evero’s defense.  Jewell is similar in size to Chinn and plays a role Chinn will likely play.  Not to mention Chinn can be even better than Jewell. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, RJK said:

Right now it’s looking like no matter what they’ll be light inside and easy to run on. After the draft we’ll have a better idea but shaq and chinn can’t take on guards all game 

In a 34 the NT is suppose to take up 2 blockers. The DE should take up 2 blockers as well slanting across the nose of the OT to the hip of the OG. With a good front 3, the OL should need 6 blockers. If the DL can not beat one on one matchups, then it is the DL that is the issue and not the ILBs. If 4 blockers are committed to the 3 DL, and 1 blocker gets to an ILB, there is still a free ILB to fill the hole and make the tackles with the SS coming down in the box behind the free ILB.

If Sam Mills (who was regularly 225 to 230 lbs playing weight) was 6 inches taller and faster, would he have been unable to hold up to an NFL offense for an entire game/season?

In the draft I would like to see two style of players added. I think we want to add a bigger edge rusher than the options we have now on the roster. Barno, Haynes, Luvu and Burns are all smaller speed rushers. In free agency Clowney could work. Basically someone around 260 with some speed but with bull rush ability.   

Then similar situation inside. Shaq,Luvu, Smith, Chinn and the FA all are smaller so on obvious running downs a thumper like Noah or Jack to move Luvu out to OLB and hold down the middle would be a thought. 

On passing downs I could see Shaq and Luvu inside with Barno and Burns speed rushing the passer.  But on 3rd and shorts it would be nice to have Chinn playing the nickle and Smith and a bigger rookie inside and Burns paired with a bigger OLB across from him.  

Evero called out Chinn by name as one of the stars on this defense. He will find the place for him to excel, I have faith. Don't let Phil Snow fool you on who Jeremy Chinn is. 

As far as the defense as a whole, I think a lot hinges on Jackson coming back strong. If I remember correctly the defense in Denver was focused on the secondary being the backbone of the defense.

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

Evero called out Chinn by name as one of the stars on this defense. He will find the place for him to excel, I have faith. Don't let Phil Snow fool you on who Jeremy Chinn is. 

As far as the defense as a whole, I think a lot hinges on Jackson coming back strong. If I remember correctly the defense in Denver was focused on the secondary being the backbone of the defense.

We need a contingency plan in case Jackson is not ready.  I like Julius Brents, Darius Rush, and DJ Turner at that 39th pick if we don't go EDGE or ILB