• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer on Panthers #1 pick (no trade back)

TheSpecialJuan

14 hours ago, frankw said:

You can like Bryce Young's abilities and be accepting of him as the #1 pick without diving off a cliff defending his size which is going to affect him some way or another in the NFL. The only question is how much. 

Pretty much where I'm at...

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He in one breath said under no certain terms would tepper get involved in the decision then says yeah if its split he would be the final vote

He put context to that, saying if football wise it was split 50-50, it would be more from a business perception than anything. So that is really a last resort option.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He in one breath said under no certain terms would tepper get involved in the decision then says yeah if its split he would be the final vote

I hope Mr. and Mrs. Tepper will leave it to the professionals. In situations like this I do believe most owners will have some level of input but actually calling the shot? After the meatballs hiring fiasco with Rhule? Let Fitterer make the call then. If it doesn't work out it's a house cleaning anyways.

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

I hope Mr. and Mrs. Tepper will leave it to the professionals. In situations like this I do believe most owners will have some level of input but actually calling the shot? After the meatballs hiring fiasco with Rhule? Let Fitterer make the call then. If it doesn't work out it's a house cleaning anyways.

I seriously doubt that, owners and their wives normally dont go to pro days.  Schfter reported almost a month ago the Teppers "loved" young. 

11 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

He put context to that, saying if football wise it was split 50-50, it would be more from a business perception than anything. So that is really a last resort option.

Well if the report is true that its Fitt and reich making the decision jointly and if Fitt loves Young and reich loves AR/Stroud what do you think happens?

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Well if the report is true that its Fitt and reich making the decision jointly and if Fitt loves Young and reich loves AR/Stroud what do you think happens?

Fitterer has final say.

But I think they'd work as hard as possible to avoid an impasse.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Fitterer has final say.

But I think they'd work as hard as possible to avoid an impasse.

On personnel matters I agree but I am pretty sure in an article/interview leading up to all of this fitt and/or Reich said it was going to be a mutual decision in regards to the pick.  I will try and find the exact quote but given the sheer volume of articles the past month it may take me some time

Found it

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2023/04/12/carolina-panthers-nfl-draft-pick-quarterback-bryce-young-cj-stroud/11643288002/

Reich, the Panthers new coach, and general manager Scott Fitterer will collaborate to make the call.

"At the end of the day, the decision comes down to Scott and myself," Reich said.

What if they don’t agree?

You’d think that Panthers owner David Tepper would be the tiebreaker. Yet even without a so-called tie, it’s difficult to imagine the team going all-in on a rookie quarterback without Tepper’s blessing.

"Mr. Tepper is heavily involved in the process," Reich said. "He’s been on record saying, 'This is Scott and Frank making this decision.' He’s intimately involved. This quarterback that we pick will be the face of our franchise. And so, obviously he has to be comfortable with that."

So I am not really sure where Will K is getting his info from.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

On personnel matters I agree but I am pretty sure in an article/interview leading up to all of this fitt and/or Reich said it was going to be a mutual decision in regards to the pick.  I will try and find the exact quote but given the sheer volume of articles the past month it may take me some time

Save the effort. I agree and that's what I've seen as well.

Edit: Beat me to it 😆

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think Fiterrer goes with his guy in this case.