• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More NFL News

Mr. Scot

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm worried for my guy Sam Howell. All the talk out of Washington's camp is that the OL looks atrocious. Evidently the interior OL is just a straight up sieve.

Yea.  He will be thrown to the wolves.  Rivera for some reasons always fostered awful OLs.

2 hours ago, therealmjl said:

It’s the Ron Rivera way

I don't know that you can just blame Rivera for that given who makes their personnel decisions.

Besides Marty Hurney, you've got Martin Mayhew as GM. The last time Mayhew was a GM, he built the Lions team that went 0-16. He was also interviewed by Jerry Richardson for the Panthers GM job in order to satisfy the Rooney Rule before he handed the job back to Hurney.

Probably also noteworthy that Rivera brought former Panthers OL coach John Matsko (of whom I was never a big fan) with him, but recently fired him. Word it Is that was at the behest of Eric Bieniemy, who Rivera gave freedom to remake the offensive staff as he saw fit.

They then promoted Travelle Wharton to take Matsko'a place. And while I'm a fan of Travelle, they've got Juan Castillo on staff coaching tight ends. Castillo has a longstanding rep for being a great line coach, so I'm not sure I understand that decision.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know that you can just blame Rivera for that given who makes their personnel decisions.

Besides Marty Hurney, you've got Martin Mayhew as GM. The last time Mayhew was a GM, he built the Lions team that went 0-16. He was also interviewed by Jerry Richardson for the Panthers GM job in order to satisfy the Rooney Rule before he handed the job back to Hurney.

Probably also noteworthy that Rivera brought former Panthers OL coach John Matsko (of whom I was never a big fan) with him, but recently fired him. Word it Is that was at the behest of Eric Bieniemy, who Rivera gave freedom to remake the offensive staff as he saw fit.

They then promoted Travelle Wharton to take Matsko'a place. And while I'm a fan of Travelle, they've got Juan Castillo on staff coaching tight ends. Castillo has a longstanding rep for being a great line coach, so I'm not sure I understand that decision.

And......don't forget.......

Marty Hurney  is a football executive who is the executive vice president of football for player personnel for the Washington Commanders.

Also, Rivera has the Rhule authority.

....Rivera was also granted considerable authority over roster personnel, with him acting as the team's de facto general manager until the team hired Martin Mayhew for the role in 2021. Despite that, Rivera's final say over the team's personnel remained.

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

And......don't forget.......

Marty Hurney  is a football executive who is the executive vice president of football for player personnel for the Washington Commanders.

Also, Rivera has the Rhule authority.

....Rivera was also granted considerable authority over roster personnel, with him acting as the team's de facto general manager until the team hired Martin Mayhew for the role in 2021. Despite that, Rivera's final say over the team's personnel remained.

Yeah, Snyder gave him full power. I'm wondering if the new owner will let him keep it...or will even keep him.

45 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

I agree.  If there was a good GM here when he started I think that would have made a big difference.

The Commanders had a guy considered a budding GM candidate in Kyle Smith, but when Rivera was given full power he preferred to stick with Hurney and being in Martin Mayhew.

Smith ended up with the Falcons and just recently got promoted to Assistant GM there.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Commanders had a guy considered a budding GM candidate in Kyle Smith, but when Rivera was given full power he preferred to stick with Hurney and being in Martin Mayhew.

Smith ended up with the Falcons and just recently got promoted to Assistant GM there.

He and Hurney will likely lose another job together.

• Pie 1