• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

4 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I really like Chatfield and I thought he was one of our most consistent D-men this year.  I'd actually list him as our 3rd best defender last year.  He gives us good depth scoring, and I just didn't see many defensive breakdowns.  

He had a few breakdowns, but, that's to be expected. Hell, Slavin got real sloppy in the ECF and was directly responsible for a couple goals. So, I'm not worrying about that.

The upside to Chatfield's game in huge and one very important aspect of his game that goes unnoticed (except for Tripp mentioning it) is his speed. Any idea how many icing calls were negated with his speed? It helps him get to the boards quicker and he gets around the back of the net very quickly. He took some huge hits during the playoffs and never wavered. Chatty often talks about how Burns helps him with his game, how, during practice, he can ask questions and Burns takes the time to work through moves and techniques.

Chatty is under contract thru the end of next season, so I think the Canes will likely give him a new deal sometime this year. Pesce and Skjei will also be UFAs at the end of next season, and the Canes need to think about half of their starting defensive starters this coming season. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Aho is a great player to have during the regular season.  He will help get you to the playoffs, but he won't put you over the hump once there.  His game just doesn't translate to playoff hockey the way it does in the regular season.

Let's look at Aho's playoff production over the past 5 seasons:

image.png.60f626161bf85b21332254b4abbafadb.png

image.png.0d27f524cd89c455eb6ef77855723443.png

I tend to agree with the sentiment that he'll obviously help the team get to 100 points and make the playoffs year in and year out, but will he make the impact that gets this team to a Cup final? The reality is Aho puts up nearly a point per game during the season (.90 to be exact). He's better in the playoffs at a .92.

But that's a deceiving statistic because it's more than the point total. It's the impact he has on the game. If I'm an opposing coach, I worry about Aho in a couple scenarios: PK- his ability to get away and get a short-handed opportunity is downright scary. Second, regular season overtime (3-on-3). Another situation where his ability is on full display and he can make you look silly (say hello, Tony DeAngelo). 

But 5-on-5? I'm not so sure. He'll get his point per game average, may even have a goal and a couple assists, but is he the go-to guy with the game on the line much like (dare I say) Matthew Tkachuk? Or Zibanejad, or Robertson.... Hell, I'd go so far to say that when Necas is on his game, he's more impactful on a game of 5-on-5 than Aho.

We'll find out soon enough if Aho is going to get $10M from the Canes after the 23-24 season. Especially if TT, Martinook, Chatty, Skjei, Pesce (also UFAs) and the RFA list of Necas, Drury, Jarvis, Suziki and Rees are all still needing contracts.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Some random talk coming up about Marner and the Canes, do we even have the pieces to get him?

I imagine the offer would start with a first rounder, Necas, and probably Nikishin; and the Leafs still might ask for more.

Nope. Don’t want. I’d rather keep Necas and Nikishin. I’d give them a first this year. This first round is stupidly deep. Even at our position we’re still going to get a solid bet.

12 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

We need a goal scorer not an assist man.

I doubt marner will fit rods system and I do not want to give up Niki. Plus he has a blanket no trade so he’d have to want to come here knowing that we’d most likely not resign him in two seasons. 

17 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Actually, we need assist men because I firmly believe Aho needs that. He's not going to generate scoring alone. Needs to be fed

He does in the regular season but not every game. That’s when the assist man comes in. Playoffs he needs a feed man, he’s too concerned with doing his other jobs. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

He does in the regular season but not every game. That’s when the assist man comes in. Playoffs he needs a feed man, he’s too concerned with doing his other jobs. 

Right. Svech is gonna be our "need a guy to go get one" player. Aho is the "sit lower circle and wait for a one t" player. And that's ok. 

Shame we didn't have Svech. Next year, hopefully 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Right. Svech is gonna be our "need a guy to go get one" player. Aho is the "sit lower circle and wait for a one t" player. And that's ok. 

Shame we didn't have Svech. Next year, hopefully 

Hopefully but I also personally don’t want to tie Svech to Aho. You could see Aho struggling without him late in the season and in the playoffs when Jarvis(plus which ever other guy) doesn’t draw the same attention as Svech + TT. Svech is a beast on his own though(and getting better every day, besides his lower body issues), he’s better in our scheme on a 2-3 line. Where he can just beast out. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Hopefully but I also personally don’t want to tie Svech to Aho. You could see Aho struggling without him late in the season and in the playoffs when Jarvis(plus which ever other guy) doesn’t draw the same attention as Svech + TT. Svech is a beast on his own though(and getting better every day, besides his lower body issues), he’s better in our scheme on a 2-3 line. Where he can just beast out. 

Agreed completely. Aho has to learn to make chances in big games. If he doesn't he will never be as good as he is on paper. All the goals through 82 games mean jack poo if you're not netting them in the post season 

15 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Some random talk coming up about Marner and the Canes, do we even have the pieces to get him?

I imagine the offer would start with a first rounder, Necas, and probably Nikishin; and the Leafs still might ask for more.

He will not come cheaply.