• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I have a new gig too

ladypanther

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats.

Been an independent contractor for 20 years now, my one piece of advice if you haven't ever been on this side of the market.

Pay your quarterly taxes.  Some will say take 35% and set that aside for taxes and other clever confiscation measures that are in place....but after this many years, I'd say that's bad advice, and to just pay your quarterlies.

Also budget, and learn to get really good at it.  When you have no idea how much money you are going to make month in and month out, you need to be very careful and plan LONG TERM.  I think in years now, not weeks like most people think about when looking at pay.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Congrats.

Been an independent contractor for 20 years now, my one piece of advice if you haven't ever been on this side of the market.

Pay your quarterly taxes.  Some will say take 35% and set that aside for taxes and other clever confiscation measures that are in place....but after this many years, I'd say that's bad advice, and to just pay your quarterlies.

Also budget, and learn to get really good at it.  When you have no idea how much money you are going to make month in and month out, you need to be very careful and plan LONG TERM.  I think in years now, not weeks like most people think about when looking at pay.

Great advice.  As I was getting this started I spoke with an accountant.  He suggested I plan on 30% for taxes.  I have a separate account just for that.  Tax money from anything I get goes in there..nothing else. I will pay the quarterly tax bill from that.   I know that I will be making more money during the fall with  Medicare enrollments but definitely know that will have to carry me through other parts of the year.

So excellent advice.  Thanks for taking the time and interest.

• Pie 2

• 1 month later...

Just getting started but in the last 2 days have enrolled 3 people in a healthcare plan thru the ACA (affordable care act).  They were able to get health insurance that a few years ago they could not have gotten.

There are people in this business who "sell' and there are people who help. I am very happy to be in the latter  group.

• 4 weeks later...