• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive support cast ranked 31st in the league

panthers55

32 minutes ago, CRA said:

You can be a bust (which is just about draft position/expectations)......and be a safe safety valve in the league.   

2 things can be true. 

I don't see a Bust having a 75% catch rate.

I don't see a Bust turning 55% of those catches into 1st downs,

I don't see a Bust getting a 3 year deal.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Rhule gave Ian Thomas 16 mil over 3 years one season ago. He has managed less thank 1k in that same 5 year timeframe as Hurst with his best season coming his rookie year.

I think we can all agree Hurst is better. 

Also, only 13 Million of that contract is guaranteed for Hurst (Thomas will get roughly 8-9 Million when it's all said and done thanks to the guarantees and restructure). Neither will see the full value of either contracts. 

No one here is saying Hurst is an All Pro candidate. But the numbers show that with more targets, he could be something pretty good. 

Calling him a Bust because he played second, and third fiddle is rather disingenuous. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Rhule gave Ian Thomas 16 mil over 3 years one season ago. He has managed less thank 1k in that same 5 year timeframe as Hurst with his best season coming his rookie year.

I think we can all agree Hurst is better. 

Also, only 13 Million of that contract is guaranteed for Hurst (Thomas will get roughly 8-9 Million when it's all said and done thanks to the guarantees and restructure). Neither will see the full value of either contracts. 

Hurst is definitely better but as of now on paper that just means we have two bad contracts on paper at TE. Lots of these former high round draft picks make way more money for way longer than they should as team after team thinks they can find in the guy what no one else has. Every now and then it turns out to be the case but more often than not it turns out to be a mistake.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, 96Bravo said:

Does anyone remember the VERY brief time we had Dan Arnold a couple of years ago? Not the greatest TE,  yet made more of an impression in just a few games than our other TE's. 

I know Hurst will be even better.

Hurst is the most athletic TE we've had in maybe forever. If Bryce even comes close to ROY, I expect it to be in part because Hayden had a really good year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

I don't see a Bust having a 75% catch rate.

I don't see a Bust turning 55% of those catches into 1st downs,

I don't see a Bust getting a 3 year deal.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

Yeah, it’s just you.  Being called a bust has to to do with your draft position.   You essentially could clone an average NFL starter and have one drafted top 5 and one in the 7th…..one gets deemed a bust.  One deemed a great pick.   Same dude. 

Hurst was a first round pick.  He has only logged 5 seasons and already bounced to 3 teams in that span.  Now on team 4.   

Hurst was a bust.   Can you be a bust and still be a legit NFL player? Yes.   Again, the whole 2 things can be true aspect that people don’t seem to be able to handle anymore. 

Baker and Sam were in that draft.  They were busts too.    You can go cherry pick some random stat for them too. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Yeah, it’s just you.  Being called a bust has to to do with your draft position.   You essentially could clone an average NFL starter and have one drafted top 5 and one in the 7th…..one gets deemed a bust.  One deemed a great pick.   Same dude. 

Hurst was a first round pick.  He has only logged 5 seasons and already bounced to 3 teams in that span.  Now on team 4.   

Hurst was a bust.   Can you be a bust and still be a legit NFL player? Yes.   Again, the whole 2 things can be true aspect that people don’t seem to be able to handle anymore. 

Baker and Sam were in that draft.  They were busts too.    You can go cherry pick some random stat for them too. 

Stop saying you can be a Bust, and still be a good player. They are opposites. 

That's all well and good but it leaves out one key point. Context. He has never been better than a #3, if that, in his career. Hard to stat pad when you get less targets. 

It's already been posted in this thread some of the WR/TE he was behind. 

You claim he has no stats. I claim he wasn't given the opportunity to produce more, A victim of circumstances so it were,

I give you your opinion. You enjoy your day. Cuz I am done. 

10 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Stop saying you can be a Bust, and still be a good player. They are opposites. 

That's all well and good but it leaves out one key point. Context. He has never been better than a #3, if that, in his career. Hard to stat pad when you get less targets. 

It's already been posted in this thread some of the WR/TE he was behind. 

You claim he has no stats. I claim he wasn't given the opportunity to produce more, A victim of circumstances so it were,

I give you your opinion. You enjoy your day. Cuz I am done. 

Again, the bust tag has to do with draft position/performance. So yeah, you could be a solid 10 year NFL JAG…..and be a bust.  

2 things can be true.  But rarely accepted on message boards. 

This is one of the dumber semantics based arguments I've seen someone try to make.

You can be hopeful of the Hurst signing based on stat cherry picking and athleticism. Cool. Makes sense. I can understand that. But don't try to play revisionist history and act like the guy isn't a bust as a former 1st round pick who has bounced around because he hasn't produced. That's just clownish.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is one of the dumber semantics based arguments I've seen someone try to make.

You can be hopeful of the Hurst signing based on stat cherry picking and athleticism. Cool. But don't try to play revisionist history and act like the guy isn't a bust as a former 1st round pick who has bounced around because he hasn't produced. That's just clownish.

Wow. Somebody got triggered. lol

Nice passive aggressiveness. Classic example

Damm dude, it's just the interwebz no need to take it personally,

All this because you can't change my mind. lol

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Being overdrafted places unfair expectations on players. A player does not get to choose what round they are selected in.

Carry on.

True.   Sucks for Hurst. 

Lamar Jackson and Mark Andrews have been the face of that O in Baltimore.  And they were both drafted in the same draft as Hurst.  But behind him.  One WAY behind him at the same position.  But there is no way the football world isn’t going to deem that a busted first round pick given that.  No one should be upset the label applies to him.