• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Charlotte Hornets Summer League

59 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Just going to clip part of that article.

For starters, they lack size underneath but more importantly, and what correlates more to Miller's slow start is the lack of a true point guard. Charlotte has a bunch of off-ball guards handling the ball, running the offense and even has Miller running it on occasion. When you have several guys playing out of position paired with the fact that they've never played together as a group, it's a lot to overcome. 

I know, I know, every team is going through the same thing. They are to a certain extent. A lot of these Summer League rosters have returning players on them though, whereas the Hornets have four draft picks and a few undrafted guys as well. It's not necessarily an excuse but more so an explanation as to why the Hornets have looked out of sorts through two games.

The thing the writer is overlooking is this isn't the first season the Hornets have done those things nor other teams. The Hornets always look terrible in summer league, so individual performances are all fans have to go on.

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Just going to clip part of that article.

The thing the writer is overlooking is this isn't the first season the Hornets have done those things nor other teams. The Hornets always look terrible in summer league, so individual performances are all fans have to go on.

The full article basically says what @CamWhoaaCamwas saying in let’s see how Miller does with a real PG in Melo and a real threat in Rozier. If he is struggling this bad in March then we should have some concern. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The full article basically says what @CamWhoaaCamwas saying in let’s see how Miller does with a real PG in Melo and a real threat in Rozier. If he is struggling this bad in March then we should have some concern. 

I get all that. But Miller needs to be more aggressive and show that he can be more than a bench 3 and D guy or a new version of Batum, especially since he was the second pick in the draft. Miller has been one of the top HS and college players in the country. He's always had pressure and hype. He needs to show he can live up to it. As I stated before, his playmaking is promising and his willingness to pass is very nice, but he needs to show more aggressiveness to score.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I get all that. But Miller needs to be more aggressive and show that he can be more than a bench 3 and D guy or a new version of Batum, especially since he was the second pick in the draft. Miller has been one of the top HS and college players in the country. He's always had pressure and hype. He needs to show he can live up to it. As I stated before, his playmaking is promising and his willingness to pass is very nice, but he needs to show more aggressiveness to score.

Yeah his aggressiveness is very concerning so far. He seems to be going through the motions. Someone on the coaching staff needs to remind him we picked him #2 overall!

I don't care if he misses shots just take them and make it seem like you want to be the man on the team.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Yeah his aggressiveness is very concerning so far. He seems to be going through the motions. Someone on the coaching staff needs to remind him we picked him #2 overall!

Well this takes us back very recently to the talk around his 2nd workout where he seemed "more engaged" versus the first go around. The best case glass half full take says he is talented but young and inconsistent in his effort. He's gotta turn that around in a hurry or we've got another James Bouknight on our hands. Sorry if speaking that hurts anyone's feelings but this franchise is riddled with picks who were talented but just didn't have the drive to become great. I generally am going to take the optimistic approach to this but I absolutely understand the apprehension and frustration some fans here feel about the pick. It's up to Miller to flip the script. I really hope he does. Because it will suck to see another sad ass effort from this summer league team with all the eyes that will be on this game with it being VW's first NBA appearance.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Agree 100%. It’s very early, but that’s a fair and factual statement. I hoping he is still off from losing all that weight from mono, but that can’t be all of the blame.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Agree 100%. It’s very early, but that’s a fair and factual statement. I hoping he is still off from losing all that weight from mono, but that can’t be all of the blame.

If mono is still affecting him so badly that it's hampering his training and all, he shouldn't be playing. I'd rather the guy was fully recovered and trained with the team over the summer than see him struggle through a few meaningless summer league games.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:38 PM, carpanfan96 said:

Not all of it, that's why I'm not worried right now. He was still down on weight in his two workouts with the Hornets 

Edit to add this.  I got mono in my early twenties and I was down and sluggish and down weight for about 4 months. 

@jayboogieman This is what I was talking about with mono affecting his play. He may be healthy, but still trying to get his energy back. It might also just be wishful thinking, but you are right about him needing to be aggressive.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

@jayboogieman This is what I was talking about with mono affecting his play. He may be healthy, but still trying to get his energy back. It might also just be wishful thinking, but you are right about him needing to be aggressive.

That's why I said if he's not recovered that it would have been better for him to sit out summer league and just workout with the team.

• Pie 1