• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any contractors/builders out there?

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

11 hours ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

So when this whole framing process began, my builder told me his labor costs were directly tied to the cost of the lumber. He quoted me and charged me at 2X the lumber cost. 

Today I was reimbursed just under $500 by the lumber company for the lumber that was not used and returned. Am I in my right to follow back up with the builder and ask if I am now owed back close to $1000? If his labor costs are truly tied to the lumber at 2X, this seems to make perfect sense to me and is what agreed upon. Yay or nay?

@LinvilleGorge @thefuzz @Floppin

I don’t want to fracture our relationship but it was his words mine about labor costs being determined by the lumber cost. 

You can ask, but I wouldn't.  It looks/seems like he did a good job for you.  Were I in your shoes, I'd rather eat the 1k possible upside, and have a good builder/GC/handyman in my rolodex.

21 hours ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

So when this whole framing process began, my builder told me his labor costs were directly tied to the cost of the lumber. He quoted me and charged me at 2X the lumber cost. 

Today I was reimbursed just under $500 by the lumber company for the lumber that was not used and returned. Am I in my right to follow back up with the builder and ask if I am now owed back close to $1000? If his labor costs are truly tied to the lumber at 2X, this seems to make perfect sense to me and is what agreed upon. Yay or nay?

@LinvilleGorge @thefuzz @Floppin

I don’t want to fracture our relationship but it was his words mine about labor costs being determined by the lumber cost. 

I've never heard of anyone pricing this way for labor. But I wouldn't. Honestly if someone tries to haggle with me after the fact like this I'll pay back what they ask and refuse any future business.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:04 AM, SmokinwithWilly said:

Its the direction I'm pushing my granddaughter. If she'll let me teach her, I can have her making over 100k a year by the time she's 20. 

there was a segment on CBS THIS MORNING this past sunday (or whatever the show is called), highlighting how important trades-people are (and how much $$$ they make)

4 hours ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

Doing things incrementally as I do not have the liquid cash to drop $50K on the basement at once. Currently struggling to find an electrician that can get things roughed in and wired (recessed lighting + outlets). 

I have a good guy here in Charlotte.  That doesn't help you though.  Makes sense. Construction of any sort is so fuging expensive